Anyone else have a Trader Joe’s problem?

TJ’s isn’t my most convenient store, but I’ll make a trip there once or twice a month. There’s a long line to get in and I need to set aside a decent chunk of time. Then, they specialize in seasonal, limited edition items- if you don’t get it now, you may never get to try something! So, they create this sense of scarcity with their products and then I also make the mistake of following a TJ’s fan page on reddit and multiple TJ fan pages on Instagram. I am inundated with posts from people raving about the latest limited edition snack out there. I walk right past or through the chip and cookie aisles of regular grocery stores without interest in picking any of it up. I get to TJ’s and suddenly I have cookies, chips, snack mixes, ice cream and whatever other unhealthy new snack they have in my cart. And the processed frozen food I’d never normally eat!

Is it just me? I know the answer is that I need to stop following all these pages- if I don’t know something is there, I won’t miss it. I’m getting chubby working from home with all these snacks around (despite getting plenty of exercise).

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    I get it. I’ve got three jars of TJ maple butter in the pantry, knowing full well I can’t eat a jar in a year.

Right now Lidl has their European Christmas stuff out. The spekulatius and lebkuchen have a magnetic attraction for me. Then there was hot chocolate on a stick, little nonpareil chocolate flowers, and chocolate covered marzipan (which I adore but can thankfully eat in small measured chunks)

Plus, since they’re new locally, they keep selling out of bakery cookies as people discover how yummy they are, so I “have” to grab some if they’re in stock. At 420+ calories a pop......ouch. You can’t eat just one, unfortunately. They are deadly but sooooooo good.

It’s funny. I can leave the chocolates in the pantry or freezer for months without an issue, but baked goods are my downfall.
  • gaild1942
    gaild1942 Posts: 2 Member
    TJs has fan pages - who knew? I have a jar of pickled jalapeño peppers that has been in my pantry forever. I have no idea what spicy dish I was planning to create with them. I have also bought seasonal items, never to be seen again...

I like the one pound dark chocolate bar. I also buy olive oil and things like artichoke hearts at TJ s. They sometimes have items I can’t find or afford elsewhere. On balance, I appreciate their diversity of products. I try to use responsibly 😸.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    Their Ciao brand pepperoni is the best. And their meringues.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited December 2020
    I don’t really buy their seasonal stuff usually. I like going there for the vegetarian tamales and enchiladas, Argentinian red shrimp, produce, and wine.

Also, I have NEVER waited in a line to get inside the store.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Alas, the closest Trader Joe's is 2 1/2 hours from me. I was not trying to lose weight when I lived near one, so I'd get copious amounts of their orange chicken, cookie butter, and chocolate covered potato chips. The only suffering I had was that it was in Ann Arbor, and the intersection it was located on was pure torture to get in/out of.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2020
    Luckily, the closest one is about 2 hours from me and I'm too lazy to drive that far very often. When I was up in Detroit for about a month before Thanksgiving, though, there was one down the street from us. Yeah..that was bad...I'm now the proud owner of two tubs of Peppermint JoeJoes ce cream, a package of Peppermint JoeJoes, and a package of the dark chocolate sea salt caramels. 😳
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    I guess it makes a big difference depending on how close you live to a Trader Joe's. Mine is less than 5 minutes from my house. I shop there almost every week, so it's not really a "special" thing, just a regular grocery store run.

I guess that's how I avoid a lot of their "treats"...I go with a list and don't usually deviate from that. If they have something (especially seasonal), that REALLY catches my eye, it might unexpectedly leap into my cart. But, in general, I go there to pick up specific items and not to browse.

I used to live somewhere else- TJ’s was my “easy” go-to grocery store. It was where I stopped when I wanted to grab a few things on my way home. Never a line and not too crowded. I’d usually get out of there with just some bagged salads and almond milk.

Now I’m back home in NYC. A trip to TJ’s is an absolute production. Long lines, crowds, shelves often practically cleared out. I feel like I need to make each trip “worth it” and I buy way more than I’ll ever need. I think I just need to stay away from there for a while.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I used to go to TJs all the time, but never bought any of their special things. It was one of 4 grocery stores walking distance from me (Jewel, TJ, 2 WFs), and when it first opened I didn't get the fuss, and hated how crowded it was (it was crazy when it first opened but that died off). I was bummed that it didn't have unfrozen fish and that the produce section was pretty small, although it worked for some other things, so I didn't get the fuss and didn't go back for some time.

At one point, however, the Jewel (my most convenient store, since it was between my place and the L) was closed for remodeling, so I was doing basic shopping at WF. At one point I decided to try TJs again and was pleasantly surprised that my purchases (similar to what I would have gotten at WF) were overall about half the cost, so I started going there too (used to split between the three stores).

Now I'm not close to a TJs any more (as in not an easy walk), so I rarely go there. I tried back in the late spring since I heard they were doing a great job with the covid restrictions, but that meant a line I didn't want to deal with.

I've never bought many of their specialty things or looked at whatever people are into there, since when I went it was just another supermarket and like Suzy I'd go in intending to get yogurt and cottage cheese and various produce and maybe some meat, etc. -- same stuff I'd be buying if running into the Jewel or WF or the stores I now go to.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited December 2020
    Use to shop frequently at TJ's too but now only go 1x @ 2-3 months at most.

For basic food products and meat they are overpriced and I generally do not buy pre made/pkgd goods in wc they specialize

When I go, I price shop and am usually able 2 find something worth buying but yet still often leave empty handed. The last time I went there, all I bought was a pkg of zuchinni, wc cost more than at my local FoodMaxx discount mkt, but TJ sells them in a smaller size wc I prefer. They also often offer a good deal on artichokes.

The best thing that I use 2 buy there was a small tub of premade hollandaise sauce that they have since discontinued. Also go there when I'm runnung low of Laphroaig Islay Single Malt Scotch wc they have priced in the low $40's wc is very competitive.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I love pumpkin and pumpkin spice. I go to TJ once a year in October and shop only pumpkin. Love their pumpkin biscotti. They never have pumpkin almond milk when I’m there. Pumpkin oatmeal is good. I just haven’t even tried it other times of year. Only hit a crowd one time—pumpkin patch day this year. The kids were lined up and having to wait their turn cause of Rona and social distancing. It was outside, so didn’t affect the inside shopping, but the parking lot was packed.
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    fitpal4242 wrote: »
    I think I just need to stay away from there for a while.

Hugs! I get you 100%. Thankfully, my closest TJ is over an hour away now. I got "withdrawals" for a while....now it's a passing thought that occasionally crosses my mind that I swiftly put away. Had the same issue with Grocery Outlet. Unfollow. Out of sight out of mind. Take a break. Weigh the pro's and cons. Reevaluate.
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    Trader Joe's is a vegan paradise. I'm demolishing a bag of Corn Chip Dippers as we speak.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    I used to buy so much every time I shopped there. Now I only go with a list, and it is much better. I used to get the produce but it is gross and moldy really fast compared to my regular grocery store. Also, the meat is sooooo expensive and they don't have a butcher so I also go elsewhere for meat. However there are some cool foods there! I love lots of stuff there, but since the pandemic the line is at least 30min to 45 min every time I go. I only go when I need to, because it is getting cold outside where I live.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Yeah, I love Trader Joe's too. It's only about 20 minutes away, but it's near the mall and is ALWAYS busy. And now with Covid there's always a line outside to wait on, so I tend to go elsewhere. I do love their products, though!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    My only problem are the delightful employees and great music they play. I don't want to leave. :)

I 'm lucky. I have a Trader Joe's pretty much right next door to my work so, if there's a line, I can just do a walk by later to see if there still is one.

But, unlike the OP, I deliberately go there for certain "junk" food. They have mini chocolate chip cookies and the cinnamon schoolhouse cookies that I like. Mini biscotti... I already miss the mini cornbread biscotti. :) The white cheddar corn puffs are really good too.

They also have a really good price on the low sodium Turkey I try to never be without.

I just log it if I eat it. (Except the last couple packages of brownie crisps.)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Everyone's commenting on the price of their meat...I usually put ground beef and boneless chicken thighs on my Trader Joe's list, because it is cheaper there than at my regular grocery store. Some of the pre-marinated meats can get a bit pricey, but I still sometimes splurge on their carne asada for lazy tacos.

I think I set a personal record for spending there yesterday...but I was stocking up on wine and cookies.
  • glassyo
    Everyone's commenting on the price of their meat...I usually put ground beef and boneless chicken thighs on my Trader Joe's list, because it is cheaper there than at my regular grocery store. Some of the pre-marinated meats can get a bit pricey, but I still sometimes splurge on their carne asada for lazy tacos.

I think I set a personal record for spending there yesterday...but I was stocking up on wine and cookies.

*chin on fist, adoring eyes*

What kind of cookies?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

What kind of cookies?

Hehe. A box of European-Belgian chocolate cookies (because my Costco didn’t have them), and dark chocolate covered shortbread stars.
  • glassyo
    glassyo wrote: »

What kind of cookies?

Hehe. A box of European-Belgian chocolate cookies (because my Costco didn’t have them), and dark chocolate covered shortbread stars.

*cough* I ended up with 2 boxes of the European cookies and 2 of the mini butter cookies. Are the dark chocolate shortbread ones the same as the hearts during valentines?