Advice on weight gain?

Hi. Ive been using the app since May. My starting weight was 12stone 5. Im very active. Walking over 1000 steps nearly everyday. I do pilates randomly and the odd joe wicks workout in a week. I have a back condition so cant jog or swim anymore.Ive followed sliming world for 6 years.so im very aware of food better eating. Needed to try something new. My goal weight at sw was 12stone. I input my food weigh food with this app and am under most days. Why is it saying im putting on weight. Im now 12stone 8. Im confused. I eat veg, fruit, and drink 2litres of water daily. I do like a drink and crisps but never go over my daily calories. Is it my age.im 47.i kniw its harder to loose. But for over a year now im staying around this weight. I cant seem to get back to 12 stone. The app inputs it for me.should i not let it.
Thanks.
Kate

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Do you use a food scale to weigh and accurately account for calories? Do you add in exercise? What activity level do you have the app set at?

Better eating doesn’t equal weight loss, only eating in a deficit does. Better eating can help with things like overall health and satiety levels.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,922 Member
    If you're gaining weight it's because you're consuming more than you really think you are.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I turned 46 in October. Lost 19 pounds between June and late November.

Accurate & honest logging of all calories consumed is the key. Use of a food scale to know how much you are REALLY taking in when it comes to solid food. Being careful to use accurate database entries. Logging beverages, cooking oils, condiments. Avoiding taking bites/licks/tastes of things when cooking, preparing foods.

If you're staying the same, or have gained 3 pounds in 7 months: you are eating about your maintenance level of calories. So either your nutritional needs are below average for your height, age, weight OR you are eating more than you think.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,286 Member
    Is 1000 steps a typo? Because that’s sedentary.
  • bootz1ukuk
    bootz1ukuk Posts: 10 Member
    No i meant ten thousand.
    I dont eat the extra calories ive burned and still eat under.
    I weigh food using electronic scales so its more accurate and scan the packet.
    What does it mean my nutrient needs.
    Maybe i need to tweek thst.
    Thank you all
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Do you have your app settings to “very active”? I wouldn’t say that 10,000 steps a day is very active- it’s baseline for movement you should be doing. I’d recommend changing your app settings to sedentary and then see what the calorie goals are. And as everyone else is saying, be really honest about how much you’re eating and measure accurately.

I don’t think it’s your age, and it sounds like you have a good understanding of the importance of water and healthy food
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Could you open your food diary? We might be able to help you spot some common logging errors.

Bottom line, either you're eating more than you're logging- or your body needs fewer calories than what you think you need.

What calorie goal do you aim for? Do you log every day, or do you take 1-2 days off logging each week as cheat days?

Look for any areas where you can improve accuracy. Items with bar codes that you scan - weigh them also. If you regularly eat food made by other people (family, friends or restaurants) keep in mind that you have to estimate since you can't possibly know what all is in those items. If this fits your scenario, eat more food made by you OR increase your estimates of those foods where you must guess.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you're gaining weight it's because you're consuming more than you really think you are.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This.
  • Dogmom1978
    fitpal4242 wrote: »
    Do you have your app settings to “very active”? I wouldn’t say that 10,000 steps a day is very active- it’s baseline for movement you should be doing. I’d recommend changing your app settings to sedentary and then see what the calorie goals are. And as everyone else is saying, be really honest about how much you’re eating and measure accurately.

I don’t think it’s your age, and it sounds like you have a good understanding of the importance of water and healthy food

How do you figure 10k is baseline? I usually hit 10k a day, but it’s definitely not something someone NEEDS to do to lose weight. Also, 10k a day is NOT sedentary.

I personally choose sedentary as I have a desk job and then add in my exercise as it can vary greatly by day. BUT I would never just tell other people to choose sedentary unless they ALSO have desk jobs and sit all day every day like I do.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

How do you figure 10k is baseline? I usually hit 10k a day, but it’s definitely not something someone NEEDS to do to lose weight. Also, 10k a day is NOT sedentary.

I personally choose sedentary as I have a desk job and then add in my exercise as it can vary greatly by day. BUT I would never just tell other people to choose sedentary unless they ALSO have desk jobs and sit all day every day like I do.

10k is the minimum amount of steps recommended for any regular person to get in a day.

I’d consider an active person to be a person who gets regular exercise plus is on their feet all day for their job- perhaps a waiter or a person with a construction job.

If you put your settings to “active” on the app, it calculates that you need more calories. If a person isn’t active enough to be burning that many calories, then they end up eating too much to achieve a deficit and lose weight. The OP was confused about why she wasn’t losing weight despite hitting her calorie goals AND she indicated she is ‘active’ because she walks 10k steps a day. So, my suggestion was to think about those settings.

I run 5 miles and/or do an hour-long intense fitness class every day. Then I go home & sit at my desk to work all day. I live in a city and walk everywhere I need to go. I have my settings set to Sedentary because I spend the majority of my day sitting at my desk. When I hit my calorie goals, it works.
  • bootz1ukuk
    Ok I appreciate all your help. so when I first started with this app I inputed my height and my weight and it told me that I should eat 1800 calories a day and I put my exercise in and it said that I was active, so it set it as active. I am a food technician at a secondary school so I am on my feet most of my day walking around the classroom and going to other classrooms. since this app conversation I have decided to start doing pilates 25-minute workout out at least 4 times a week. I do have to be careful because I have a back condition so I have to to do gentle exercises. I did check with my doctor if 1800 calories was good for me to lose weight and she said yes because of my height and my current weight. She said i should have 2200 to maintain. I have been following a food plan of some sort for 11 years now. it used to be rosemary Connolly then it was Slimming World so I'm very aware of food and the importance of weighing having fruit veg and water.
    I was just confused that since May I have had absolutely no loss but only a slight gain. I don't know what else to do and I don't really want to go back to Slimming World this app has allowed me to feel freer with my food which I'm happy about.
    moving forward I don't really know where to go with with the answers to this I really thank full for all of your advice.
  • bootz1ukuk
    Sorry me again. I have looked in at the active levels and there was a setting for slightly active. This said teachers and salespersons. So thats me teaching. Ive changed it which has now lowerd my calories to 1535. I think this may help me.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

10k is the minimum amount of steps recommended for any regular person to get in a day.

I’d consider an active person to be a person who gets regular exercise plus is on their feet all day for their job- perhaps a waiter or a person with a construction job.

If you put your settings to “active” on the app, it calculates that you need more calories. If a person isn’t active enough to be burning that many calories, then they end up eating too much to achieve a deficit and lose weight. The OP was confused about why she wasn’t losing weight despite hitting her calorie goals AND she indicated she is ‘active’ because she walks 10k steps a day. So, my suggestion was to think about those settings.

I run 5 miles and/or do an hour-long intense fitness class every day. Then I go home & sit at my desk to work all day. I live in a city and walk everywhere I need to go. I have my settings set to Sedentary because I spend the majority of my day sitting at my desk. When I hit my calorie goals, it works.

10k steps is a randomly decided number by companies that make pedometers and so it became widely accepted as “standard”. It isn’t and shouldn’t be touted as such. As I said, I get 10k steps a day but use sedentary because my normal daily activities (desk job) involve virtually no walking. I just exercise a bunch outside of work most days and Input that info separately in mfp.

Your suggestion was to switch to sedentary without finding out if the OP actually IS sedentary. Not a good idea without more info from the OP regarding their activity level.
  • bootz1ukuk
    Could you open your food diary? We might be able to help you spot some common logging errors.

Bottom line, either you're eating more than you're logging- or your body needs fewer calories than what you think you need.

What calorie goal do you aim for? Do you log every day, or do you take 1-2 days off logging each week as cheat days?

Look for any areas where you can improve accuracy. Items with bar codes that you scan - weigh them also. If you regularly eat food made by other people (family, friends or restaurants) keep in mind that you have to estimate since you can't possibly know what all is in those items. If this fits your scenario, eat more food made by you OR increase your estimates of those foods where you must guess.

Hi.
    Just been thinking about some of your questions.
    Im going to drop my activity to slightly active which will drop my calories to 1535. I noted what someone else said and when i checked teaching is slightlt active whereas i thought i was active.

i think you could be right im eating to much.. I was having 1800 because mfp worked it out at that because i thought i was active. When i started this i was actually doing joe wicks 5 times aweek.but stayed the same.
    Now being back at work like i say im going to do pilates. The joe wicks was to hard on my back and hip.

You said about not logging or cheat days. I log every day. But sunday to thursday im very strict. No alcohol chocolate etc. So hense why i dont go over and im left with lots of calories. Friday and saturday i have treats. Alcohol a bit of chocolate. But i still dont go over but would maybe once in awhile use my 1800 plus the exctra from excersise.

My friend says dont panic if i do its like saving money then spending at the weekend what id saved. But like i say i dont go over.
    I am going scan and weigh more regular. I have inputed alot of food and sometimes just use that in my diary but hadnt always re weighed it. Guestimated i suppose but its usually salad veg spuds that i do that with but still i need to re check.
    Thanks for the increase the estimates if i eat out. At the moment we cant actually eat out due to lock down. But when i did again it was only once in awhile.

Thanks for the tips. It has made me re adjust a few things. And with the lower calories i think it may work.
    Thank you👍

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,819 Member
    bootz1ukuk wrote: »

Hi.
    Im going to drop my activity to slightly active which will drop my calories to 1535. I noted what someone else said and when i checked teaching is slightlt active whereas i thought i was active.

i think you could be right im eating to much.. I was having 1800 because mfp worked it out at that because i thought i was active. When i started this i was actually doing joe wicks 5 times aweek.but stayed the same.
    Now being back at work like i say im going to do pilates. The joe wicks was to hard on my back and hip.

You said about not logging or cheat days. I log every day. But sunday to thursday im very strict. No alcohol chocolate etc. So hense why i dont go over and im left with lots of calories. Friday and saturday i have treats. Alcohol a bit of chocolate. But i still dont go over but would maybe once in awhile use my 1800 plus the exctra from excersise.

My friend says dont panic if i do its like saving money then spending at the weekend what id saved. But like i say i dont go over.
    I am going scan and weigh more regular. I have inputed alot of food and sometimes just use that in my diary but hadnt always re weighed it. Guestimated i suppose but its usually salad veg spuds that i do that with but still i need to re check.
    Thanks for the increase the estimates if i eat out. At the moment we cant actually eat out due to lock down. But when i did again it was only once in awhile.

Thanks for the tips. It has made me re adjust a few things. And with the lower calories i think it may work.
    Thank you👍

That sounds like a good course to take. I'm also wondering if you might've had a bit less movement in daily life while off work: If so, that can make a surprising lot of difference.

Hope your new course delivers the results you hope for: Keep us posted, eh?

• bootz1ukuk
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    bootz1ukuk wrote: »

Hi.

Thank you👍

That sounds like a good course to take. I'm also wondering if you might've had a bit less movement in daily life while off work: If so, that can make a surprising lot of difference.

Hope your new course delivers the results you hope for: Keep us posted, eh?

It could be. I know i did joe wicks daily for 4 months but i didnt do my steps due to being in. But yes i will let you all know how it goes. thank you all.👍
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,286 Member
    Whew! I’m glad it was 10,00 and not 1.000! Sometimes you don’t know if it’s a typo or for real!

Be mindful estimating calories on spuds. It’s is a sad little potato that is a single serving. I bet all the bigger potatoes kick sand in its face.
  • bootz1ukuk
    Whew! I’m glad it was 10,00 and not 1.000! Sometimes you don’t know if it’s a typo or for real!

Be mindful estimating calories on spuds. It’s is a sad little potato that is a single serving. I bet all the bigger potatoes kick sand in its face.

Yes typo error. I should put my glasses on really lol.
    I scan the bag of spuds then weigh. Im shocked how many calories are in them. But i cut back from huge amounts of spud. Wouldnt have a clue what is the recomended daily amount of carbs to have in a day. But i do like them🤷‍♀️