Pumpkin shortage 2 years in a row?????!!!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Did you know that you can make pumpkin puree just like in the can? Guess what you need? That's right! A pumpkin! Those small pie pumpkins, (also called sugar pumpkins) at the market are just the ticket.

Now you have a plan B!

if they cannot get canned pumpkin in their area , chances are they not gonna get the real thing either
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Did you know that you can make pumpkin puree just like in the can? Guess what you need? That's right! A pumpkin! Those small pie pumpkins, (also called sugar pumpkins) at the market are just the ticket.

Now you have a plan B!

if they cannot get canned pumpkin in their area , chances are they not gonna get the real thing either

We didn't have the canned at one point but we had the small pumpkins.
  • jupaba
    Options
    I grow the real thing. As of right now I have a good dozen sitting on my deck and a couple of dozen more (at least) still on the vines. I cook it and freeze it for the winter months. Then I can make pies, muffins, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin cheesecake and it can all be low fat :)
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I grow the real thing. As of right now I have a good dozen sitting on my deck and a couple of dozen more (at least) still on the vines. I cook it and freeze it for the winter months. Then I can make pies, muffins, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin cheesecake and it can all be low fat :)

Shall I just message you my mailing address? :wink:
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    That's because the abnormal spring screwed up the growing season. Over here, they had to plant the corn crops a whole month late. I'm sure they'll show up, just later than usual.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The announcement I saw was that there was no shortage for 2011. it's already started to hit store shelves en masse around here. (CA)
  • ennaejay
    Options
    pumpkin is super easy to cook down, and you can have a buttload of it for cheaper than canned. You might have to wait another month or so 'til people have them out for sale. Neck pumpkins are the best IMO but i know others cook down the jack-o-lantern pumpkins. Just halve them, scoop the seeds out, cover with tinfoil, roast them at 350 til the flesh is easily poked with a fork, then scoop out the flesh while it's still warm and puree it. Place into plastic bags and freeze. It's easy to thaw and use, or drain if you like it super-duper thick.

I don't have space to grow my own pumpkins but you should be able to score a giant neck pumpkin for $3-5 in season which will give you 8-10c of cooked pumpkin!
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Our local Publix carries pumpkin all year long, and they currently have plenty. I bought a few cans last week.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Makes good soup too.................

Pumpkin Sausage soup and Pumpkin, carrot, celery, onion, cauliflower soup is good too.