Glutes, hamstrings

yasminekassis613
yasminekassis613 Posts: 268 Member
edited January 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone. With me no longer having access to the gym my favourite machines that I would use for weighted glute/ hamstring workouts no longer exist.

I have a few free weights, resistance bands... that’s it!

Looking for what you experienced as the MOST effective workouts to help build allll the glutes and hamstrings muscles.
( I already incorporate squats and resistance band donkey kicks and weighted glute bridges)

Any tips appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Yasmine.

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Romanian Deadlifts if you have heavy enough dumbbells or weight plates.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    As far as most effective, that really is subjective to the individual's response and programming. I would dip into this exercise selection pool but dose the volume, intensity, frequency appropriately.

Deadlifts- Conventional, sumo, deficit, pause, tempo, stiff leg, banded, off blocks.

Plenty if things around the house to couple with these lifts to achieve hypertrophy under ideal training considering.

Might use five gallon buckets loaded with stone, suitcases, etc...

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    You already do squats; deadlifts as mentioned above. Lunges are another option that you can ad in. I don’t do them as they ALWAYS hurt my knees no matter WHAT I do, so I gave up and found other exercises that don’t cause me pain. 😊
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited January 2021
    Yes, to all of the above.

I'm on a bodyweight program (to which I add DBs for progression and not to get bored) where I did step ups with a pair of 12 lb DBs for the first time and was saddened by how challenging they were. That and single leg deads...with no weights 🤷🏿‍♀️ Like how is it so hard? 😭😂

Speaking of which, until you get back in the gym, you may want to work on mobility and flexibility too. Range of motion, balance, etc. All that good stuff helps in the long run.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    edited January 2021
    Banded and/or weighted frog pumps, single-leg RDL's, single-leg bridges, banded hip thrusts and especially single-leg hip thrusts (may not even need any weight), and any abduction work (clams, side-lying leg lifts, seated knee banded abduction, single-leg banded abduction). If you have long enough resistance bands you can try kneeling banded hip thrusts. You also may able to recreate Nordic ham curls by putting your feet under some furniture--those you wouldn't need any weight for and are killer for hamstrings. If you have a stability ball you could do some bridges on that or bridges with then pulling the ball in towards your body, or just do feet-elevated bridges or feet-elevated single-leg bridges. You can also do sliding leg curls with a paper plate (or gliding disc if you have one) under your feet.

• scott_90345
    scott_90345 Posts: 17 Member
    You can do air squats and single and single arm kettlebell swings. Just make sure that in air squats your hips will descend lower than your knees.
  • https://www.healthline.com/health/hamstring-curls

In the BeachBody program I do, they have another hamstring curl that is not in the article above. You wrap the resistance band around your feet — across the top, around the sides and back up the middle from the bottom of your feet.

Hold the handles in your hand.

Go on all fours.

Then extend one leg, then keep the hip to thigh at hip height and curl the hamstring. And extend again.

• strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    I like pistol squats and split squat jumps. Booyah!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Bulgarian split squats... with dumbbells.

Plant your foot farther out to hit the hamstring and glutes more, or closer in to hit the quads more.
  • yasminekassis613
    yasminekassis613 Posts: 268 Member
    Thanks again everyone!!