How can I stop or limit my snack cravings?

Options
13»

Replies

• reginaswork
    reginaswork Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So to the original poster, I think trying a vacation from snacks for a few weeks will go a long way towards breaking this habit. Only you know whether you are someone who can incorporate a snack that is not nutritious into your day and stick to the serving size (as opposed to opening the cookie box and eating until you are stuffed).
    But besides building a no snacking ‘muscle’, the craving you describe will greatly diminish once you get those sugar sodium snacks out of your body. Trust me on this. And you will have more energy eating a more nutritious diet.
    If you find you simply can’t do it alone you may need to address a binge eating issue with your doctor. There are folks here on MFP who have gone on medication for it, and they say it’s helped.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    approach it with common sense...the goal is to normalize. your relationship with food.. not replace it with another extreme unnatural diet habit.

1. get rid of your snack food in the house
    2. shake up your routine.. break the pattern.. so if you snack at night.. go to the gym in the evenings or take an exercise class after work. If sitting in front of the t.v. triggers the tradition of "snack time". don't watch t.v. clean the house..do your laundry.. shake up your routine
    3. eating more protein each meal with keep you full
  • bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    When it comes to snacking I found what you dont have you can't eat. I especially find hard to resist chocolate, white chocolate in particular, just by writing it down I probably put on a few pounds. "Resistance is futile" so I just dont buy it, unless I planned it to be part of my daily meal. In fact I try not to have anything at home that would be considered a snack whether sweet or salty. Pre-planning is useful, have in your fridge only what you planned to eat with a clear head, once craving starts it is tough.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Logging, deciding I didn't want to snack (I see nothing wrong with snacking in general but for me it was a waste of cals as I didn't want to eat less at main meals), and then if I felt tempted to snack between meals to focus on how much I would enjoy my planned upcoming meal/what the tradeoff would be/journaling to identify why I wanted to eat outside of my normal time.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Is there something you want more in your life than food? Something, or someONE you desire more than the fleeting pleasure of a tasty morsel or two... or twenty?

I often think about future events where I'd like not to be the fat person in the room. It could be a great vacation, an annual work meeting, or simply the thought of being able to choose and wear clothing without thinking 'camouflage.'