Rules for DMs tangent -- What's a "good friend"?

Options
jjpptt2
jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
edited January 2021 in Chit-Chat
A tangent from the Rules for DMs thread...

How do you use the Friends function within MFP? Is it akin to FB? Do you interact regularly? Are you a drive-by liker, or do you take the time to comment? What makes someone a good friend? What do you hope for from your feed?

Personally, I rarely look at my feed. The adds in the app are too much for me, and my shortcuts/bookmarks take me right to my dairy. From there I typically go right into the forums.

Additionally, I'm in a phase where I'm rarely logging anything. My eating/intake is embarrassing, as are what I'm calling "workouts" these days. I hate where I'm at, so the last thing I want to do is have any of that show up in my feed for others to see. So for the last couple of years, I've been pretty MIA in the feed.

I'm sure that makes me a *kitten* friend for some, for others that probably makes me to perfect friend.

More generally, I like "friends" with similar interests/pursuits as myself. I like talking bikes and sneakers and gear with folks, but don't want to be nagged every time someone logs in, loses a tenth of lb, or vacuumed for 13 minutes. If I've connected with someone in some way, and I know what their goals/struggles are, then I feel like I can offer more meaningful advise/support/encouragement... and will do so when the opportunity presents itself. I tend to keep my FL pretty small - quality over quantity.

What say you?

Replies

• _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options
    I take my time to read my feed when I have time. Then I respond accordingly. Liking or commenting or both. Most days I just glance at it and and close the app but I think I comment more on friends who are more interactive with me because if they take the time to give me encouragement, a good friend should do the same...right?!
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I try to at least like some posts. Inactive freinds get deleted eventually bc like, why are you here if you don't interact with me? Plus I've also been here too long and don't care much for the many fitness posts. It's fine bc this is a fitness site but it's so boring.
    I don't have much to offer though. I've been on a almost strictly tiktok link streak that I should probably stop bc I'm sure people want to maybe hear from me and not some other internet personality.
    Idk 🤷🏻‍♀️ Maybe withholding over shareing is cramping my style. Word vomit 🤮 is funner at least.
    So seeing as I don't care much about fitness and dieting I'd say that I do use this as a sort of Fb. I also don't post much there but the tiktoks and memes. Perhaps a rant about lady restrooms and proper peeing techniques?
    😕 idk man
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I am a drive-by friend. I disappear for weeks at a time. I show up and demand your attention and flood your in-box with explicit PMs. I like stuff randomly.
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    Excellent thread idea btw
  • CacoEther
    Options
    Also i keep giggling at ‘vacuumed for 13 minutes’
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    CacoEther wrote: »

But c'mon... everyone knows vacuuming doesn't have any health/fitness value until the 15-minute mark.
  • CacoEther
    Options
    Pardon me whilst I spam your thread.

As far as what i expect from others on my FL, the answer is virtually nothing. Do your thing. Like my posts, or don’t. Post political rants, or don’t. Get butt naked and post a pic five days a week, or don’t. I have only ever deleted a couple people who sent a FR and then never interacted with me at all, like via dm or on my wall or in here. Those are the FRs I don’t understand 😅
  • CacoEther
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

But c'mon... everyone knows vacuuming doesn't have any health/fitness value until the 15-minute mark.

And who even vacuums that much? Nobody, thats who
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

As far as what i expect from others on my FL, the answer is virtually nothing. Do your thing. Like my posts, or don’t. Post political rants, or don’t. Get butt naked and post a pic five days a week, or don’t. I have only ever deleted a couple people who sent a FR and then never interacted with me at all, like via dm or on my wall or in here. Those are the FRs I don’t understand 😅

Butt naked five days a week. ✍️
  • CacoEther
    Options
    Yoshiboobs wrote: »

Butt naked five days a week. ✍️

Yusss I’m here for it
  • jjpptt2
    edited January 2021
    Options

I've got 2 words for those people: roomba.
  • CacoEther
    edited January 2021
    Options

I've got 2 words for those people: roomba.

Two roombas!

Which is what i have. One of them has been tangled for several months in my old earbuds which have themselves been tangled between the mattresses, it’s a whole cluster *kitten* up in there

The other one has probably melted to the charger by now
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    i typically don't go out of my way to send FRs anymore unless they really make me laugh or i know them from the past and miss them.

and generally don't care much either if somebody sends me one anymore. same for messages.
    if they want to be friends and talk they will. its nice enough to be able to make connections with people sure, but not everybody's built the same and to put blanket expectations on people before they even know you is stupid. by that i mean those folks who have a whole thing typed out about why you should/should not be their friend and what they expect blah blah blah.

i figure if they do message and i don't really want to talk, but like them enough to not be rude, i'll just make up a bunch of crazy stuff and see how far i can take it before they back off or constantly use random old movie quotes that they won't recognize anyhow.

don't care much either way about them interacting or liking statuses or anything either. if they want to they will. i do my best to interact if i got something funny to say but sometimes i get down and just wanna log in and laugh quietly to myself until i feel better.

i do typically delete if i determine they're just a friend collector trying to build up and target folks to their insta, or if they're a morbid sockpuppet account, or once they don't log in for more than 20 days. even if they're an actual friend, i stick to the 20 day mark, just cause that means they obviously got stuff going on at home and that ain't my business and i don't want no part of it.
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    only shows up when I am feeling lonely and leaves me alone otherwise
  • iMago
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    i typically don't go out of my way to send FRs anymore unless they really make me laugh or i know them from the past and miss them.

and generally don't care much either if somebody sends me one anymore. same for messages.
    if they want to be friends and talk they will. its nice enough to be able to make connections with people sure, but not everybody's built the same and to put blanket expectations on people before they even know you is stupid. by that i mean those folks who have a whole thing typed out about why you should/should not be their friend and what they expect blah blah blah.

i figure if they do message and i don't really want to talk, but like them enough to not be rude, i'll just make up a bunch of crazy stuff and see how far i can take it before they back off or constantly use random old movie quotes that they won't recognize anyhow.

don't care much either way about them interacting or liking statuses or anything either. if they want to they will. i do my best to interact if i got something funny to say but sometimes i get down and just wanna log in and laugh quietly to myself until i feel better.

i do typically delete if i determine they're just a friend collector trying to build up and target folks to their insta, or if they're a morbid sockpuppet account, or once they don't log in for more than 20 days. even if they're an actual friend, i stick to the 20 day mark, just cause that means they obviously got stuff going on at home and that ain't my business and i don't want no part of it.

They've been movie quotes this whole time?!

I thought we were friends 😭

you had me at hello
  • twitchandshout
    twitchandshout Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options

You said I was special!
  • iMago
    Options

You said I was special!

new phone who dis