Sugar-Free Jello

MsCzar
MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
My go-to sugar-free gelatin dessert is simply to add a lot of fruit (mostly berries) to the package directions. Does anybody here have a more ambitious recipe using sugar free gelatin? As a kid, I remember some sort of Jello/Cool Whip/fruit concoction that was delicious. Maybe there's a healthier version of that? Ideas appreciated!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Something like Yoplait Whips - take a 4 serving package of jello add 1 cup boiling water. Stir. Chill until it's slightly thickened. Beat in 1 cup of Greek yogurt, use a mixer if you want a light airy section on the top. Pour into desert cups and chill until thickened.

Surprisingly - orange jello is really good with crushed pineapple and shredded carrots.

Growing up I remember a lime jello salad with chopped celery, shredded carrots and chopped cabbage.

You might be thinking of Weight Watchers jello pudding fluff
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    There are lower calorie Cool Whip options, sugar free or low fat. You could use yogurt too.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    My favorite is called “under the sea”. Plain lime jello with chopped pears on bottom. Whipped lime jello with cream cheese,
    Cool whip, or yogurt added on top.
  • MsCzar
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Something like Yoplait Whips - take a 4 serving package of jello add 1 cup boiling water. Stir. Chill until it's slightly thickened. Beat in 1 cup of Greek yogurt, use a mixer if you want a light airy section on the top. Pour into desert cups and chill until thickened.

Surprisingly - orange jello is really good with crushed pineapple and shredded carrots.

I thought that pineapple was the one fruit you couldn't use in Jello?

I am going to attempt to make the "Whips" thing this afternoon. Wish me luck! Do you ever add fruit to that?

• MsCzar
    Something like Yoplait Whips - take a 4 serving package of jello add 1 cup boiling water. Stir. Chill until it's slightly thickened. Beat in 1 cup of Greek yogurt, use a mixer if you want a light airy section on the top.

<3 THANK YOU!!! <3

This was soooo goooood! I dissolved the package in 1c. boiling water, but then added ~1c halved frozen strawberries - stirred until it started to thicken and then added ~1c Greek yogurt. Gave it a good mix with an electric hand mixer and chilled. O.M.G!!!! It didn't layer - but I was hoping it wouldn't. This might be my new fave dessert.

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I think I was traumatized as a child: my mother made jello EVERYTHING, so I can't the stuff now! I think she even tried to out chunks of old jello into new jello :-)
  • kimmoon0628
    kimmoon0628 Posts: 4 Member
    We love making sugar free jello and adding sugar free cool whip on top....we do this with sugar free chocolate pudding as well. It helps me get my chocolate fix.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I think she even tried to out chunks of old jello into new jello :-)

This is one of the funniest things I've read in a while! :D

When I was a kid my mom made Jello in a giant bowl, I remember thinking the cubes of Jello with whipped cream on top (like they served at Luby's Cafeteria) were so classy. Jello inside of Jello would have really impressed kid-me.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Just find yourself a 50’s cookbook. There is jello in everything 😆. I do remember the jello with whipped cream mixed in - we had it at birthday parties as kids. Nice memory 😊
  • TeaBea
    WEIGHT WATCHER'S SALAD

12 oz. cottage cheese
    1 sm. box orange Jello (dry)
    1 med. bowl Cool Whip
    1 can mandarin oranges, drained
    1 sm. can pineapple, drained

Mix all together and refrigerate overnight
  • MsCzar
    vanmep wrote: »
    Just find yourself a 50’s cookbook. There is jello in everything 😆.

lol. I actually have such a book! Sponsored by Jello from the 1960's:

nlcoozx6ntjb.jpg
  • TeaBea
    I also have a Jello book is from the early 60's. "The New Joys of Jello"......lol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »

I thought that pineapple was the one fruit you couldn't use in Jello?

I am going to attempt to make the "Whips" thing this afternoon. Wish me luck! Do you ever add fruit to that?

I believe fresh pineapple may be a problem (something about enzymes? dunno), but canned pineapple is OK.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member

“lol. I actually have such a book! Sponsored by Jello from the 1960's”

I have my mother’s old Purity Cookbook from 1932 which has a whole chapter on jello. It also has a number of savoury recipes that use either jello or gelatine. How about Jellied Tomato Salad? “Slice layer off blossom end of tomato. Scoop out pulp. Dissolve package of lemon jello in boiling water then cool until just about to set. Pour into tomatoes. Let set and then cut tomatoes to resemble a flower. Arrange on a lettuce leaf.” Yum?? 😬. It really is fascinating though to see how much recipes have changed in the last 100 years.
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    edited April 2021
    Australian here. I make up one sachet of sugar-free jelly crystals with 3 teaspoons of plain gelatine powder and 250ml of boiling water. Poured into a shallow dish and refrigerated, it sets very firm, almost like gummies. I cut it into cubes for a very low-calorie snack.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    I worked weekends at a retirement home 20 years ago, and that sounds like a dessert that was a favorite of the residents there. The chef showed me how to make it, and her secret was adding the cream cheese to the powder, first, and mixing it really well before adding the boiling water and pears. It looks completely inedible, but tastes so good! I've never made a sugar free version, but sure it'd be almost as good.:) I make a version of it with strawberry jello, too.

My favorite is called “under the sea”. Plain lime jello with chopped pears on bottom. Whipped lime jello with cream cheese,
    Cool whip, or yogurt added on top.

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    smithker75 wrote: »
    Australian here. I make up one sachet of sugar-free jelly crystals with 3 teaspoons of plain gelatine powder and 250ml of boiling water. Poured into a shallow dish and refrigerated, it sets very firm, almost like gummies. I cut it into cubes for a very low-calorie snack.

I tried your recipe out. Worked out great!
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    smithker75 wrote: »

I tried your recipe out. Worked out great!

Fantastic :) It's so simple and low cal.