Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I’m back, too. 200.0 lbs on the dot this morning. Trying to decide if I want to cut down to the 84 kg weight class, or the new 67 kg class. I’m in no hurry currently. No competitions on the horizon right now. July maybe.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    considering starting another cut next week, just nice and slow for the time been, probably until
    lockdown is over
  • quiksylver296
    I’m back, too. 200.0 lbs on the dot this morning. Trying to decide if I want to cut down to the 84 kg weight class, or the new 67 kg class. I’m in no hurry currently. No competitions on the horizon right now. July maybe.

200.2 this morning, *kittens*! Must be sodium or DOMS or something, because I’m definitely not in a calorie surplus. I was 198.8 Wednesday.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member

200.2 this morning, *kittens*! Must be sodium or DOMS or something, because I’m definitely not in a calorie surplus. I was 198.8 Wednesday.

Similarly up to 179.4 today from 176.8 yesterday. Had Chipotle for dinner last night so I'm guessing it's a sodium spike for me as I've averaged right at 2200 for the last 7 days (-300 cal/day at least).
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    @nexangelus - your legs!! 😍😍😍😍
  • maronesax1972
    maronesax1972 Posts: 272 Member
    nexangelus wrote: »
    OK here is a photo post and a best of 2020 end and 2021 beginning...weight down to 152.4 lbs (I am 5 foot 5 tall) this morning (4.4 lbs loss this week, don't ask I have no freaking idea, but have bloodwork and other stuff booked in case it is a cause for concern), eating 500 - 1000 cals more per day also (up from 1900)....feeling lean and mean for the first time in my life....just legs for now, belly unflexed in this pic...I am not a bodybuilder...I am 46 and a masters strongwoman (for new readers, sorry for any repetition)

Last week I pulled a PB deadlift of 170 kg (375 lbs), I could have pulled it for a double or triple, it felt that smooth, push pressed 70 kg (154lbs) for a double and two singles, am push pressing 65 kg now easily for reps, strict OHP/military pressed 58.5 kg (129 lbs) for a single and squatted 115 (254 lbs) kg for 5 sets of 5 and 100 kg (220 lbs) for 2 sets of 10 (was going to estimate my 1RM with an AMRAP at 115 kg earlier this week for my coach, but UK Lockdown 3 happened before my last 2 gym sessions)....had been close grip benching 62.5 kg for 4 sets of 5, doing shoulder hypertrophy as well as strength building the last 8 weeks...have been power cleaning (no squat) 65 kg and 70 kg (143 and 154 lbs) for 5 sets of 3, 13 inch log floor to overhead 52.5 kg (116 lbs) is easy for 5 sets of 5 now...need to add weights to BW pullups and band or do explosive/clapping, etc pushups...have also rather stupidly been doing bodybuilding sessions for legs with a couple of strong friends as well once a week.

5x1l9vbri4iu.jpg

I see those quads beginning to pop!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Me...

Bulked up to about 198lbs by end of last September...

Holiday plan... Cut all through the holidays and ultimately fail because holidays 🤷🏽‍♂️... End up right back at around 198 post holidays... Nothing gained, nothing lost 🤷🏽‍♂️, start a more serious cut post holiday 🤷🏽‍♂️...

Reality... Cut all through the holidays... Now post holiday 👇🏽12lbs 🤷🏽‍♂️... Around ~186...

This is like my 3rd cut, and 4th if you count the initial weightloss 🤷🏽‍♂️... And I can say that 2nd cut after my initial weightloss was by far the most difficult...

These last 12lbs were relatively easily 🤷🏽‍♂️... But I'm just fortunate, not bragging... I've been lucky 🧘🏽‍♂️...

In any event... I've said it before but I think once I get to around 179~... I'm done, with the Bs and Cs anyhow 🤷🏽‍♂️...
    Everything else is just like breathing to me and comes so easily I take it for granted...

I may look bigger 20lbs 👆... But in the long run, I think my knees will thank me when I'm older... They've been through enough 😂...
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Me...

Bulked up to about 198lbs by end of last September...

Holiday plan... Cut all through the holidays and ultimately fail because holidays 🤷🏽‍♂️... End up right back at around 198 post holidays... Nothing gained, nothing lost 🤷🏽‍♂️, start a more serious cut post holiday 🤷🏽‍♂️...

Reality... Cut all through the holidays... Now post holiday 👇🏽12lbs 🤷🏽‍♂️... Around ~186...

This is like my 3rd cut, and 4th if you count the initial weightloss 🤷🏽‍♂️... And I can say that 2nd cut after my initial weightloss was by far the most difficult...

These last 12lbs were relatively easily 🤷🏽‍♂️... But I'm just fortunate, not bragging... I've been lucky 🧘🏽‍♂️...

In any event... I've said it before but I think once I get to around 179~... I'm done, with the Bs and Cs anyhow 🤷🏽‍♂️...
    Everything else is just like breathing to me and comes so easily I take it for granted...

I may look bigger 20lbs 👆... But in the long run, I think my knees will thank me when I'm older... They've been through enough 😂...

What’s up w your knees?
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    What lifting routine do you guys run when you cut?

Also, are you supposed to spend some time in maintenance before you cut, or can you just go straight from bulking to cutting?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    I can only speak for myself @darreneatschicken - I lift heavy....strongwoman style, log, push press, squats, deadlifts, military press, some hypertrophy sets and conditioning complexes added in some days. My training week on my cut has been 3 heavy compound days (squat, press and deadlift) with accessories. I train for an hour up to two hours, especially deadlift days. Other 3 days have been shoulder hypertrophy sessions) I cycle/walk every day (6 - 26 miles depending on gym commute, etc) I work 6 days a week (60 hour week) a few of us are athletes in here, I think.

If you are bulking you can head straight into cutting....if going the other way, lots tend to reverse diet (add calories back in increments until you get to full surplus cals), but you can head straight in both ways...depends on your mindset and experience I guess?
  • quiksylver296

Also, are you supposed to spend some time in maintenance before you cut, or can you just go straight from bulking to cutting?

I lift what my coach tells me to lift, and I eat what my coach tells me to eat (and how much). :D
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member

I ran Arnold's V2 program last spring (very hypertrophy focused) with pretty good results. I just started more of a powerbuilding hybrid I found on reddit this week and so far that looks promising.

As far as maintenance before cutting, I have heard the suggesting to give it a week or two to "own" the new weight but I think some of that depends on how much and how fast you bulk. I went up less than 10 lbs in 5 months so I wouldn't think it would make much difference with that much of a gradual rate of gain (purely speculating though). Almost by accident, I started to level off gaining the week of Christmas and stayed pretty level on weight until I started dieting 1/1.
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member

I myself go right from bulking to cutting. I'm not sure what the logic would be in maintenance needed before cutting.

In terms of lifting program during Cutting: I switch up my lifting every 10 weeks regardless of whether I'm cutting or bulking. However, when I am cutting, I tend to go more higher reps lighter weight of course as I'm not as strong whilst cutting.

• nexangelus
    11Templars wrote: »
    I tend to go more higher reps lighter weight of course as I'm not as strong whilst cutting.

I have gained strength every single cut I have done....but maybe females are better built for this? Also cutting before a meet/competition one doesn't lose strength....but then again I am a strength athlete, not a bodybuilder....

• nexangelus
    On the cutting front, weight seems to have settled to a slower pace again and sitting at 150.6 lbs today....the abs are so very close to being visible for the first time in my life, right lighting and they show under exertion...exciting times....although at my age, there is quite a bit of loose skin on my abdomen (I am 46 and have two adult kids), so they may not ever be fully visible without activating the core....I did not lose weight fast either, this has been a slow burn....
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    nexangelus wrote: »
    11Templars wrote: »
    I tend to go more higher reps lighter weight of course as I'm not as strong whilst cutting.

I have gained strength every single cut I have done....but maybe females are better built for this? Also cutting before a meet/competition one doesn't lose strength....but then again I am a strength athlete, not a bodybuilder....

Interesting that you say that. A friend and I were talking and she mentioned the same thing. I wonder if it has anything to do with pushing yourself just a little bit harder whilst cutting because "you're" really hungry for results... Interesting none the less.

Cheers,