Seem to be gaining despite working out daily

goatelope
goatelope Posts: 178 Member
Hi all,

I’ve tried before to lose weight, through calorie restriction. I always went too hard too fast and never got exercise, with the end result I was constantly losing 10lbs and gaining it back.

Since December I have been working out 6 times per week with The Body Project.

I notice I am fitter but strangely I do not seem to be losing weight which is worrying me - I started at 179 and I am still there, despite sticking to 1500 calories per day max and doing the workouts.

Can anyone help? I’m worried I am not losing and by week 4 it seems I should have? Please help - it’s so upsetting!

Replies

• miallbena8190
    miallbena8190 Posts: 29 Member
    What type of workouts are you doing? Are you seeing any other changes such as muscle definition changes? Are you taking measurements of yourself to see if these are changing also? Lastly are you looking at the breakdown of macros for your daily food?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,091 Member
    What kind of routine is Body Project? Any new exercise regime can cause water retention, masking fat loss on the scale, but especially resistance training.
  • goatelope
    What type of workouts are you doing? Are you seeing any other changes such as muscle definition changes? Are you taking measurements of yourself to see if these are changing also? Lastly are you looking at the breakdown of macros for your daily food?

Hi, I’m doing a mixture of cardio and resistance. I think I don’t get enough protein but I do definitely stick to no more than 1400 calories (goal is 1500 but I leave 100 margin for error).

I am in week 4. I do notice more muscle but I’m worried about bulking up without slimming down. Any thoughts?
  • goatelope
    Lietchi wrote: »
    What kind of routine is Body Project? Any new exercise regime can cause water retention, masking fat loss on the scale, but especially resistance training.

Hiya, it’s a mixture of cardio and resistance. A lot of standing HIIT and other low impact but high intensity work.

I’m definitely staying within calories although I know I have more carbs than protein which I need to address.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    Are you using a food scale and choosing correct database entries? Are you using cups and spoons and packaging info?

One thing: a new exercise can lead to water retention due to muscle healing. The year is still young. The weight gain can be due to water retention, thus not fat gain but a totally normal fluctuation.

Can you give us more info: What are your stats such as age, weight, size and gender?
  • goatelope
    Hi - yes I am 40, 5’3”, 179 lbs, female

I am definitely entering correctly - I check and double check everything
  • goatelope
    yirara wrote: »
    Are you using a food scale and choosing correct database entries? Are you using cups and spoons and packaging info?

One thing: a new exercise can lead to water retention due to muscle healing. The year is still young. The weight gain can be due to water retention, thus not fat gain but a totally normal fluctuation.

Can you give us more info: What are your stats such as age, weight, size and gender?

I answered above - thoughts welcome
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    goatelope wrote: »

Sorry if you think you answered already but just to make sure, does that mean you are weighing all solids on a scale (in grams/oz)? I ask because a few options were posed, including cups, spoons, just scanning packages and it's not clear which you are doing.
  • goatelope
    I am weighing everything on a scale - and I log it straight away. I also always round up.

I check the calories on MFP but also on the packets to make sure I’m right.
  • goatelope

Sorry if you think you answered already but just to make sure, does that mean you are weighing all solids on a scale (in grams/oz)? I ask because a few options were posed, including cups, spoons, just scanning packages and it's not clear which you are doing.

See above - thanks :-)
  • Angrish101
    Angrish101 Posts: 14 Member
    'I notice I am fitter'. That's all you need to know, keep doing what your doing and stop weighing yourself until 3 months have gone by. If you're doing everything you say you're doing, you'll have lost weight and gained better definition and won't need scales to tell you what you can see and feel.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I am weighing everything on a scale - and I log it straight away. I also always round up.

That's great.
    How about on the other side of the coin, how are you estimating your calorie burns?

(The exercises you mention are not easy to get reliable estimates for.)
  • goatelope
    sijomial wrote: »

That's great.
    How about on the other side of the coin, how are you estimating your calorie burns?

I don’t include them in my calorie count, because I am aiming to lose weight. So what I do is set the calorie goal at 1400 on the basis that I should have 1500 but may under estimate things by accident.

The workouts are all low impact so I would estimate I burn 100-180 per session, but as I say, I don’t include them.

God I feel so demoralised.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

That's great.

I don’t include them in my calorie count, because I am aiming to lose weight. So what I do is set the calorie goal at 1400 on the basis that I should have 1500 but may under estimate things by accident.

The workouts are all low impact so I would estimate I burn 100-180 per session, but as I say, I don’t include them.

There's nothing obviously amiss and as others have said a new exercise routine can cause some water retention.
    If you are certain you are in a deficit you must be losing fat and that must eventually show up on the scales - you can't keep replacing it with water forever!

One thing I'd be tempted to do when things seem illogical is to verify your bathroom scales are working correctly, replace the batteries perhaps? Make sure they are on a firm and level surface......

Must be very frustrating for you.
  • yirara

That's great.

There's nothing obviously amiss and as others have said a new exercise routine can cause some water retention.
    If you are certain you are in a deficit you must be losing fat and that must eventually show up on the scales - you can't keep replacing it with water forever!

One thing I'd be tempted to do when things seem illogical is to verify your bathroom scales are working correctly, replace the batteries perhaps? Make sure they are on a firm and level surface......

Must be very frustrating for you.

Yes, this!
    Sorry, I should have come back here earlier. Either the scale is wrong, or it's water retention if everything else is spot on.
    How often do you weight? If it's once per week then you might start on a day where your weight is a bit lower, and a week later a bit higher due to water retention. Not fat, but just water masking fat loss. It's totally normal, and it happens to all of us; especially women. A new workout leads to water retention, maybe a bit more salt, a day with more carbs, certain points in your cycle, moving more or less, the weather, everything. Totally normal, and nothing you can and should do about it. The only thing that helps is patience. Hey, some of us a whooshers: we don't seem to lose for 1-3 weeks but the tissue starts to feel a bit more squishy. And then there's the dreaded night where we ran to the loo a few times and in the morning we're at the expected weight. And then the cycle starts again.
  • Brunhilde_69
    Brunhilde_69 Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2021
    Don't forget your body needs time to adjust. Lots of things are happening that you cannot see. You feel fitter and you are doing all the right things. It will happen for you, well done and keep at it. Maybe try measuring your waist or using calipers to see some losses.
  • goatelope
    Thanks everyone. I am going to keep at the workouts and also track the calories vigilantly. If it’s still the same in a week then I dunno what I will do!
  • yirara
    Thanks everyone. I am going to keep at the workouts and also track the calories vigilantly. If it’s still the same in a week then I dunno what I will do!

Please, trust the process. Weight loss is not fast, and, as we said often masked by water retention. Going from maybe no to a lot of exercise can have a profound influence. You said you don't want to do a crash diet, but you still seem to have a bit of a all or nothing mindset. For weightloss to stick you need to build healthy habits that you are able to keep up and not lose a lot of weight in a short time and go back to where you started. Slow and steady. It might also help to use a weight trending app. There's Happy Scale for iOS and I think Libra? for Android. Sometimes we don't notice small changes in weight due to those fluctuations in water weight, but a trending app will show them.