what time of day is best to work out?

Options
2»

Replies

• AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    +100 On "whatever time works for ya"... :) but I prefer mornings. Get it done bright and early is my moto. I'm up at 5:20 AM 4 times per week to get my workouts in before things get crazy busy. Some people like late workouts, I'm spent at 10 PM...

Good luck!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    as long as you burn em' but I've heard mornings because if you drink a serving of water then start your exercise within an hour of waking up, you are suppose to be able to access more fat, and burn through that, and then eat protein heavy and avoid carbs for another 1-2 hours for maximum fat burn. haven't tried it yet though
  • un4gvn2
    Options
    You should try a week or 2 straight of different times (mornings, after work, evenings) and see what works best for you and fits into your lifestyle. Like anything else, it needs to be convenient and user friendly for YOU !

A MFP friend told me today that she has been having trouble getting up in the mornings. After talking about it she is wondering if maybe squeezing her work out in at night is causing her to stay up later, hence being more tired in the mornings.

I am a lucky morning person. It is a great way to start my day and no matter what comes up later in the day, my work out is already done !!

Good Luck !
  • mrysnshn
    mrysnshn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You should try a week or 2 straight of different times (mornings, after work, evenings) and see what works best for you and fits into your lifestyle. Like anything else, it needs to be convenient and user friendly for YOU !

A MFP friend told me today that she has been having trouble getting up in the mornings. After talking about it she is wondering if maybe squeezing her work out in at night is causing her to stay up later, hence being more tired in the mornings.

I am a lucky morning person. It is a great way to start my day and no matter what comes up later in the day, my work out is already done !!

Good Luck !
    Thanks......I will definately try it.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you. I really prefer to workout first thing in the morning before breakfast, but I am often not able to swing that so I work out just as often in the evening. I am almost always able to put more effort into my workout in the morning, I only have to take one shower a day and I feel great all day.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    For me personally, it's early morning.

I find that the later it gets, the less likely I am go get it done.

If you work out in the morning, I'm more likely to hit my goal calorie burn, since it speeds up your metabolism for the rest of the day. It makes me feel energized and ready for the day.

Also, if I work out in the evening, I don't sleep well.

It's a great healthy way to start my day, and it makes it easier for me to make healthy food choices, so that I don't "undo" all my hard work.

It really is a personal decision. But for me, it's definitely the morning!!!

God bless!
  • ginique
    ginique Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I hit the gym on my way home from work, which has been working very well for me. I have a hard enough time getting out of bed for work in the morning as it is - no way am I going to try to pull myself out of bed at 4am.

The way I see it, morning, noon, or night, so long as you get your booty moving, that's all that matters. :)
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning before I have coffee....that way my brain isn't awake enough to talk my body out of it!
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    I'm amazed at all the pro-morning responses. I am definitely *not* a morning person.

On Sunday, I got up around 9:00, put some Irish oats in the rice cooker, and decided to squeeze in a workout while they cooked. All I had in me was a glass or so of water. My workout Suuuuuucked. I was weak and out of energy, and it didn't bother me much when that voice told me to give up before all reps were done, or skip a set. After a night of burning calories (sleeping) my body didn't have a lot to go on, and my mind was totally not up to the task of keeping me focused and determined.

At the end of the work day, however, I may be "tired", but that's really just fatigue from sitting inn a chair not moving very much. As long as I have enough energy leftover from lunch (which I usually do, now that I'm eating better), then a workout feels really good. Well, really good as far as working out goes...

Anyway, I agree with the "what works for you" vote. I'm just surprised people can make it work in the morning.

Also, I've heard (and it makes sense to me) that shortly after a workout its a very good idea to consume some protein. You've just done (good) damage to your muscles, tendons, etc., and your body is now going about its job of rebuilding everything back like it was, only stronger. So if a nice abundant supply of amino acids (protein pieces) hits your blood supply, it can do a better job of rebuilding. I don't know if this is really true or just a cute idea, but I do it.