Belly fat

Options
Hello everyone. I need advice. I am 5 10, 143 pounds. My heaviest weight was 161(when I tried bulking and using mass gainer). I lost weight to try and get rid of my belly fat. I don’t want to lose anymore because my butt is getting flatter (it’s already flat lol) and seems Im losing more muscle than anything. What do you all recommend to tone everything up and lose belly fat? If I bulk Ill gain more fat and if I cut I will lose more muscle and fat from everywhere but my stomach. I lost 18 pounds total and my belly looks exactly the same 🙁. Im skinny fat. Please give me advice!

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    You can tone via exercise but you can't spot reduce fat. I'm apple shaped. Which means most of my weight is in my midsection. But to lose weight I have to lose fat from everywhere it was put on, and that means some of it's going to come off my butt, breasts, and legs - which were never all that large. It just is what it is. Your body will burn whatever, wherever, if you're in a calorie deficit and if you're not in one it isn't burning from anywhere.

You can build your glues some though!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    lift heavy! eat at maintenance if you are happy with your weight
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You haven't mentioned your training at all - if that's not on point then bulking and cutting isn't going to get you anywhere.
  • kelim1990
    kelim1990 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @Fflpnari will I still gain muscle if I eat at maintenance?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it sounds like recomp is what you want to be doing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kelim1990 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I need advice. I am 5 10, 143 pounds. My heaviest weight was 161(when I tried bulking and using mass gainer). I lost weight to try and get rid of my belly fat. I don’t want to lose anymore because my butt is getting flatter (it’s already flat lol) and seems Im losing more muscle than anything. What do you all recommend to tone everything up and lose belly fat? If I bulk Ill gain more fat and if I cut I will lose more muscle and fat from everywhere but my stomach. I lost 18 pounds total and my belly looks exactly the same 🙁. Im skinny fat. Please give me advice!

This sounds to me like a programming/training issue. If your training is on point and you don't have a massive deficit, you shouldn't be losing any substantial amount of muscle. You can't target reduce fat from any part of your body with any particular exercise...you just have to continue to cut. The mid section is primary fat stores for many people...primary fat stores are a first on, last off kind of deal.
  • mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Legit question, but the general consensus is that you cannot spot-reduce belly fat.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Recomp= maintain weight while slowly gaining muscle and losing fat
    Lift progressively, follow a program.
    Are you lifting?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Unless you're already following one faithfully, get a good progressive strength training program:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Despite the title, it includes programs you can do at home with minimal/no equipment.

If you want to stay at this weight (not bulk):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Do take a look at the thread Go_Deskercise already posted above:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

Consider whether your posture is contributing to the problem.

Perhaps especially among women who want to look like they have a bigger butt, something called "anterior pelvic tilt" is quite common. It tends to make the belly area poke/droop outward, making it look like there's more fat there. Another name for the same phenomenon is "lordotic posture".

In addition to that, partly because most of us are spending a lot of time hovering over electronic devices, it's common to have a head-forward/shoulders-forward (slouch) posture, sometimes rudely called "nerd neck" or "tech neck", "iHunch" or more politely "postural kyphosis". This can also cause the belly area to protrude more, and look more prominent.

If you want more input on posture and whether it's contributing, post front and side photos, standing naturally. If you think posture may be an issue, there are YouTube videos from credentialed physical therapists and university medical center and other good sources that have exercises that could help. (Just trying to be conscious of posture is OK, but stressful and not as effective). I included the various names for those posture issues so you have something to use as search terms.