Protein Help

2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    40% is rough. I can barely get 30% unless I use powders.

Also be aware- if you have too much protein at one time, a lot of it gets “lost” as your body can only process so much at a time. If only it were really lost - converted to fat or carb and the nitrogen excreted in urine. So maybe you need less than 40% but more spaced out to get the same effect you’re getting at 40% if you tend to eat a lot of protein at one sitting
    Onedaywriter ..thank you for the tip! I have heard this before. What do you feel is too much protein? I can consume 43 grams of protein for lunch which I feel maybe too much. (See post above). It is the majority of my protein for the day.
    @sarah7591
    It's not actually accurate. Rate of uptake does have limits but that doesn't mean you won't absorb all that 8oz steak you eat in one serving. Our bodies slow the absorbtion, unless you get to ridiculous levels what you eat gets used rather than excreted or converted.

"Can I eat too much at once?
    Amino acids and some peptides are able to self-regulate their time in the intestines. An example of this is the digestive hormone CCK which, in addition to regulating appetite and satiety in response to food[10] can also slow down intestinal contractions and speed in response to protein.[11][12] CCK is released when dietary protein is present, and demonstrates a way in which the body can slow down digestion in order to absorb all present protein.[13]"

Taken from https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-can-you-eat-in-one-sitting/

I guess what I am asking is will excess protein be stored as fat?

Excess calories (energy) is stored as fat. You can't have net fat storage in a calorie (energy) deficit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    40% is rough. I can barely get 30% unless I use powders.

Also be aware- if you have too much protein at one time, a lot of it gets “lost” as your body can only process so much at a time. If only it were really lost - converted to fat or carb and the nitrogen excreted in urine. So maybe you need less than 40% but more spaced out to get the same effect you’re getting at 40% if you tend to eat a lot of protein at one sitting
    Onedaywriter ..thank you for the tip! I have heard this before. What do you feel is too much protein? I can consume 43 grams of protein for lunch which I feel maybe too much. (See post above). It is the majority of my protein for the day.
    @sarah7591
    It's not actually accurate. Rate of uptake does have limits but that doesn't mean you won't absorb all that 8oz steak you eat in one serving. Our bodies slow the absorbtion, unless you get to ridiculous levels what you eat gets used rather than excreted or converted.

"Can I eat too much at once?
    Amino acids and some peptides are able to self-regulate their time in the intestines. An example of this is the digestive hormone CCK which, in addition to regulating appetite and satiety in response to food[10] can also slow down intestinal contractions and speed in response to protein.[11][12] CCK is released when dietary protein is present, and demonstrates a way in which the body can slow down digestion in order to absorb all present protein.[13]"

Taken from https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-can-you-eat-in-one-sitting/

I guess what I am asking is will excess protein be stored as fat?

No.
    Excess calories are required to add to your body fat and then it would be dietary fat preferentially stored as fat - conversion is an inefficient process, conversion of carbs or protein to fat are more like an emergency backup process.
    You really don't need to be concerned about eating 43g of protein in one sitting, that would be massive over-thinking and micro-management of something that doesn't require it.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    I like to pre-load my diary before my day starts and plan my protein. Then I fit in veg/fruits around protein and avoid needing a lot of something at the end of the day.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Lots of disagreement with my last post. Sorry - i did say that protein could get converted to carbs. Apologies.

But there is a limit to how much protein a body can utilize all at once. See: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-rd-how-much-protein-can-our-body-absorb/

In USA, it is not uncommon for a serving of steak to be 16 ounces (approx 120g protein), tuna steak 12 ounces (96g), turkey breast 12 ounces (90+), pork loin 12 oz (90).

I am trying to get approx 170-175 G protein based on 22-2300 cals/day on days I workout. It was not uncommon for me to eat exactly what I mentioned for dinner. Dinner typically having well over 100 g protein (including healthy sides) with 20g (say 2-3 eggs and toast) or so coming from breakfast and 30 from lunch ( e.g. sandwich).

Now I’m trying to push more protein into snacks and have less at dinner and seeing better results.
    That’s why my original post mentions a few snack options.

I don’t think 46 grams is too much at a swirling, but 100- 120 is likely too much.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    edited January 2021
    Lots of disagreement with my last post. Sorry - i did say that protein could get converted to carbs. Apologies.

But there is a limit to how much protein a body can utilize all at once. See: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-rd-how-much-protein-can-our-body-absorb/

In USA, it is not uncommon for a serving of steak to be 16 ounces (approx 120g protein), tuna steak 12 ounces (96g), turkey breast 12 ounces (90+), pork loin 12 oz (90).

I am trying to get approx 170-175 G protein based on 22-2300 cals/day on days I workout. It was not uncommon for me to eat exactly what I mentioned for dinner. Dinner typically having well over 100 g protein (including healthy sides) with 20g (say 2-3 eggs and toast) or so coming from breakfast and 30 from lunch ( e.g. sandwich).

Now I’m trying to push more protein into snacks and have less at dinner and seeing better results.
    That’s why my original post mentions a few snack options.

I don’t think 46 grams is too much at a swirling, but 100- 120 is likely too much.

Thank you daywriter....the link you sent was really good. I appreciate your help. What was interesting is that article mentioned you absorb 25-30 grams of protein per meal so it is best to spread it out during the day.