Who else loves a good salad 😃

Options

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I love salads, but unfortunately salads with raw lettuces and kale don't necessarily love me back. :( I'm living vicariously through the pics though!
  • AmberlyMarlene
    AmberlyMarlene Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If it has a leafy base then I'm not eating it unless I have no other option and I'm starving lol
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    @dragon_girl26 I like baby spinach as a leafy base for a salad, rather than lettuce - can you do spinach?

Raspberry Chicken Salad
    * Spinach base
    * Grilled chicken, cubed (marinate the chicken in the dressing before cooking for maximum deliciousness)
    * Mandarin orange slices (canned is fine, just drain them; if you have whole, cut them appropriately)
    * Sunflower seeds
    * Craisins
    * Raspberry vinaigrette dressing (or raspberry-walnut, but the plain raspberry is best IMO)

Russian vinigret salad is also delicious, this is how my Russian professor in undergrad made hers:
    * Beet, carrot, and potato, boiled about 45 minutes and then chopped small
    * Raw onion, sour pickle, cabbage/sauerkraut, all chopped small
    * One or two tbsp of oil (sunflower is typical, olive is fine, vegetable is also okay)
    * Salt and pepper
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love the fried onions they sell in the salad topping section....so good on top of a giant bowl of veggies and blue cheese crumbles.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,724 Member
    Options
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    we eat a lot of grilled chicken salad and side salads.

I can bulk it up for hubby (who has no weight issues and if anything could gain a few pounds) and keep it lighter for me.
  • lynn1
    lynn1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love all salads but a chef salad is my favorite!! 😍😍
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I like a 1/2 head of Romaine grilled cut side down on a griddle with a pat of butter.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Did someone say salad?? 😉 Yep love em. 🥗

Through the years I’ve been experimenting with different greens ... it’s not just spinach and kale!

So many varieties. Recipe depends on mood...
    sweet lettuces and a spritz of EVOO & balsamic are my go to lately... also like watercress and microgreens with avocado... there are still a ton of greens I haven’t tried.. it’s on for 2021 ;)

• acpgee
    Options
    We rediscovered retro waldorf salad recently when we had a lot of celery stalks to use up following a recipe that called for celery leaves. We lightened up the classic recipe by using a combination of ranch dressing and yoghurt instead of classic mayo. The trick is toasting the chopped walnuts in a scant amount of butter and a generous sprinkle of salt. Some diced celery and diced apple with raisins tossed in your mayo substitute, sprinkled with the walnuts. The occasional pops of salty walnut or sweet raisin is what makes this salad sing. We lined the plates with a little lettuce.
    5gkqe96s7hkr.jpeg

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    We rediscovered retro waldorf salad recently when we had a lot of celery stalks to use up following a recipe that called for celery leaves. We lightened up the classic recipe by using a combination of ranch dressing and yoghurt instead of classic mayo. The trick is toasting the chopped walnuts in a scant amount of butter and a generous sprinkle of salt. Some diced celery and diced apple with raisins tossed in your mayo substitute, sprinkled with the walnuts. The occasional pops of salty walnut or sweet raisin is what makes this salad sing. We lined the plates with a little lettuce.
    5gkqe96s7hkr.jpeg

Oooh might have to give that a try; I have all of the ingreds. except raisins. And it looks mighty tasty! Thanks for sharing :)
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    I also love salads but not in the winter. Once it warms up in the spring I will go back to them as a main where it includes protein, vegetables and sometimes cheese, nuts and/or fruit. I prefer the salad to have a lot of different things on it.
  • acpgee
    Options
    A salad we have been having a lot recently because the hubby bought a bunch of discounted overripe pears. Salad with pear, blue cheese, and candied nuts. I keep these on hand for pimping up salads containing salty cheeses. Heat up a tablespoon of sugar in a dry frying pan. When the sugar caramelizes toss in chopped nuts and whole seeds in a single layer and turn off the heat. Allow to cool, break into small pieces and store in jar.
    f3kcif18x7tm.jpeg
  • Cheezhead1976
    Cheezhead1976 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I like a good salad. But, as a crohns sufferer, I have to watch it with all the ruffage. Ugh I'm craving one lately.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in Italy. Salad there is an everyday thing. Usually salad one meal and cooked vegetables the other meal.
    Now I eat salad everyday and sometimes twice a day. Think of a vegetable and it's there in my salad. I alternate ingredients everyday. I add also fruit, sometimes legumes, other times seeds and nuts.
    One thing they have in common... They don't fit on my plate. I use a mixing bowl add plate lol.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    9o1a9r8jzco4.jpg
  • gigius72
    Options
    9o1a9r8jzco4.jpg

Is that focaccia?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    gigius72 wrote: »
    9o1a9r8jzco4.jpg

Is that focaccia?

Nope--you just wrote that you grew up in Italy. Don't recognize pizza bianca?
  • gigius72
    edited January 2021
    Options
    gigius72 wrote: »
    9o1a9r8jzco4.jpg

Is that focaccia?

Nope--you just wrote that you grew up in Italy. Don't recognize pizza bianca?

Same thing. We in the north of Italy call it focaccia, in Rome they call it pizza bianca.