To Mayo or Not To Mayo?

Options
What do you use? Especially on tuna salad and egg salad.

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Mix with mild mustard and use as little as possible.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Mix with mild mustard and use as little as possible.

Agree. I once tried subbing in Greek yogurt and hated it. Now I just use full fat mayo - but as little as possible.
  • B23_Kate
    B23_Kate Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use the Hellman's Olive oil mayo that is lower in calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For tuna salad 2 to 1 - relish and light mayo.

For egg salad I use less yolk and mix dijon mustard with light mayo.

I've tried fat-free mayo and plain Greek yogurt - didn't like either of those.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I like the plain Greek yogurt fine in egg salad (but I usually use a minimum of mayo or yogurt in that anyway), but I don't think it would be good in tuna salad (haven't tried it, don't eat tuna).
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I use 0% fat cottage cheese in with the eggs to replace mayonnaise. Works perfectly for me. I’ve also used a Laughing Cow triangle or Primula (the stuff in the tube, the Jalapeño one is especially good). They all come in at a fraction of the calories of mayonnaise!
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I use the "lighter than light" mayonnaise and I think it tastes perfectly fine. Air fried chips and mayonnaise, to die for!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    We used to have a light mayo here in Italy and I liked it. Then it was discontinued. I love mayo. I started mixing full mayo with Greek yogurt 2% fat. The proportions are 10% mayo to 90% Greek yogurt. I then added a little lemon juice, salt, pepper, and paprika. The taste was good and I used it to make tuna salad.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    I use ranch (which I make with 30% mayo, 30% yoghurt and 40% buttermilk). Buttermilk, despite the name, is very low fat being what is left after you remove the butter from milk.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Store bought mayo - I like Sir Kensington’s on tuna or egg salad... or I make my own in small quantities when needed. Easier then one would think to make! 😉
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I use 0% fat cottage cheese in with the eggs to replace mayonnaise. Works perfectly for me. I’ve also used a Laughing Cow triangle or Primula (the stuff in the tube, the Jalapeño one is especially good). They all come in at a fraction of the calories of mayonnaise!

Yes, I often use 0% fat cottage cheese as a substitute for more caloric foods. I think I could use it in egg salad as a mayo sub. My palate is fixed on how tuna is supposed to taste, however.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I eat tuna salad a couple times per week usually...I use a tablespoon plus one teaspoon of Chosen Foods 100% Avocado Oil Mayo along with a couple of teaspoons of dijon mustard. The avocado mayo is an awesome source of Monounsaturated fat at 8 grams per tablespoon. I also spread it on my regular sandwiches.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Full fat mayo & Regular mustard. I do bulk up my tuna salad with eggs though. Not sure if it lowers the calories or not. It's just how I make mine. You could always put a tad less tuna salad on your sandwich and add lettuce , tomato , sprouts or whatever veggie toppings you want.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I just budget for the real stuff...I don't use a lot of mayo anyway, probably no more than half a tablespoon at a time, and not very often. Though I do prefer plain Greek yogurt in things like tuna/egg/chicken salad, I think it tastes better. The probiotics and protein are a bonus.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    I don’t use much mayo either, but Kraft has a very good low fat or low cal one for about 20cal/tbsp.

I never was a big butter, jam, mustard, mayo or other condiment user. It used to gross me out to see a bagel with a mountain of creamed cheese on it.

Bilbo Baggins says it just right: “like butter scraped over too much bread”. And I am slowly disappearing lol.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I use avacado mayo. Does not have the soybean oil. I use it to make my buttermilk ranch dressing which I put on everything it seems.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I really love mayo. Spicy mayo is even better. Light mayo is OK. You should measure carefully!
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Even as a child, I preferred Miracle Whip to mayo (I'm a weirdo). I always thought mayo was an odd flavor.

I will make my salads in various ways:

Miracle whip and a little mustard
    Greek yogurt
    Avocado

Or a combo of those.

I absolutely think everyone should make room for what they like in their calories (unless health conditions require other choices)!