Honest opinion required... (pic)

Options
I got myself what I thought was a nice dress yesterday and wore it last night to see my 2 friends for my birthday. I never usually wear dresses and wanted to start wearing them more often now i'm a little happier with my shape.

We had a picture taken last night and I put it on facebook, whereby a good friend of mine (who always gives her honest opinion) told me that it didn't really look good and it 'ages' me. To be honest, it is a terrible picture of me but the comment really cut me deep. I already have big issues with my self esteem and this just knocked my confidence right back. I just wanted to know if I really do look as bad as she made me feel...

This dress by the way is sleeveless. I just wear a black shrug over the top to hide my awful fatty arms. I'm the blonde on the left by the way.

307213_2236199817268_1016144222_2532509_1565277848_n.jpg

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I got myself what I thought was a nice dress yesterday and wore it last night to see my 2 friends for my birthday. I never usually wear dresses and wanted to start wearing them more often now i'm a little happier with my shape.

We had a picture taken last night and I put it on facebook, whereby a good friend of mine (who always gives her honest opinion) told me that it didn't really look good and it 'ages' me. To be honest, it is a terrible picture of me but the comment really cut me deep. I already have big issues with my self esteem and this just knocked my confidence right back. I just wanted to know if I really do look as bad as she made me feel...

This dress by the way is sleeveless. I just wear a black shrug over the top to hide my awful fatty arms. I'm the blonde on the left by the way.

307213_2236199817268_1016144222_2532509_1565277848_n.jpg

Just a guy's opinion... But I think the dress looks fine on you but I would be interested to see what it looks like without the sleeves.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't think it ages you or looks bad on you, maybe your friend needs her eyes checked. LoL. Sometimes friends think they are helping and it doesn't come out right, however in this case I think she is wrong, you look good.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    You are a little hidden by your friend but I can't see anything wrong with it, it looks like a lovely dress. Maybe it's just not her style. I have a couple of friends that wouldn't be caught dead in anything with a floral print and there's plenty of beautiful floral prints out there.
  • iamsc
    iamsc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You look cute! Don't let them get you down!
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It doesn't age you at all! It looks really nice.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Honestly?

The top half definitely ages you, but as far as the bottom half (and the actual dress), I think you look good. The shrug (I don't think that's a shrug BTW) makes you look like you're in the 50s and doesn't compliment the style of the dress at all. I also think it makes you look bigger than you actually are.

So no you don't look horrible, but next time try and open sweater with the dress and I bet you'll look better!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you look great!!! however i can tell by your posture that you are a little self-conscious about how you look in a photo. smile, hold your head up, and enjoy yourself!!

and btw, f*$k your friend.
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't think it ages you at all, and you look cute. And sometimes a friend who makes an "honest" comment like that, is just cruel.
  • lisa_73
    Options
    I think you look fine! (and I love your shoes!) I think that sometimes friends give their "honest opinion" as an excuse to be rude (and it has nothing to do with being honest). Don't worry about the comment!
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't offend but I will give you an honest opinion, I don't like the dress and I can see where your friend would say it makes you look older.:frown: Congrats on your weight loss you look great!!
  • simplysara9
    Options
    I think the dress is cute and I don't think it ages you at all. Take her comment with a grain of salt. You look good!
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    While your friend may not like the dress...you look great in it!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,154 Member
    Options
    It does not age you in my opinion. Perhaps your friend suffers from dressing age inappropriate thinking she is still a teenager. You are an attractive young woman and look like one here. I agree it might look better without the long sleeves, but that is largely temperature dependent.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Honestly! I think that she may be a little jealous of your success!

I have had comments like that blown my way and then I heard them talking saying they wish they could look as good as me etc etc

PS don't think she is the nicest friend no offense.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! I would bet that your friend is jealous of your success...just shake it off, and keep on doing what you're doing!
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Well what a lovely friend....

I'm sorry but I pride myself on giving an honest opinion to my friends, and I would never make a comment like that! And especially when the dress is reeeeeally nice! I really like it and don't let one comment affect your self esteem!
    You've obviously done really well and felt good enough to wear a dress when you wouldn't normally! Strut your stuff and don't let your friends comments bother you!

=]
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I love how you look in that dress. I'm sure it would look younger and fresher without the sleeves, but it isn't "aging" at all.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You wore a dress because you said you were feeling happier with your shape. You should not let anyone take that away from you. I think you are a beautiful girl and you should be proud of your accomplishments. Honest opinions are great, but maybe your friend needs to know she needs to deliver them in a more constructive way as you work toward your goals.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I think that sometimes friends give their "honest opinion" as an excuse to be rude (and it has nothing to do with being honest). Don't worry about the comment!

and this!
  • mpcass
    Options
    Just another guys opinion, I think you look great! I would lose the shrug thingy though.