Is BMI an accurate way to know how much I should weigh?

1234568»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Less on specific body type and more on muscle mass, but yeah, it's not the end all, be all for individuals.

On the whole I don't see the point of worrying about one's goal weight until one is close to it. You can set a higher goal and then change it, depending on how you look at the time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Less on specific body type and more on muscle mass, but yeah, it's not the end all, be all for individuals.

On the whole I don't see the point of worrying about one's goal weight until one is close to it. You can set a higher goal and then change it, depending on how you look at the time.

This is broken-record-y, and I know you know it, but I'll underscore it in case of other readers:

The goal weight you put in MFP has absolutely no effect on the calorie goal MFP will calculate for you.

Your personal details (size, activity level sort of stuff) and the weight loss rate goal you select (X lbs/kg per week) are what determine the calorie goal. The goal weight is just used for some supposedly motivational messages and updates along the way ("you've lost X of Y pounds" kind of stuff).
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,146 Member
    @AnnPT77
    I think @lemurcat2 was referring to one's ideal weight rather than the goal weight you tell MFP.
    I set my goal weight at 230, only because 1) I thought it was attainable, and 2) it's a nice round 100 pounds below my max weight. Whether it is my ideal weight (a subjective notion in itself), I will know only after I get there.
    But I agree, the goal weight you give to MFP doesn't affect its calculation of your daily calorie goal. I believe it's a combination of age, sex, height, weight and stated activity level. The only one of those that has changed for me is my weight, and MFP has lowered my calorie goal several times for that reason.
  • AnnPT77
    @AnnPT77
    I think @lemurcat2 was referring to one's ideal weight rather than the goal weight you tell MFP.
    I set my goal weight at 230, only because 1) I thought it was attainable, and 2) it's a nice round 100 pounds below my max weight. Whether it is my ideal weight (a subjective notion in itself), I will know only after I get there.
    But I agree, the goal weight you give to MFP doesn't affect its calculation of your daily calorie goal. I believe it's a combination of age, sex, height, weight and stated activity level. The only one of those that has changed for me is my weight, and MFP has lowered my calorie goal several times for that reason.

I was responding to the part of her post that said "I don't see the point of worrying about one's goal weight until one is close to it. You can set a higher goal and then change it, depending on how you look at the time." My intention was to underscore that doing what she suggests doesn't somehow mess up the process in MFP.

I know that her "Less on specific body type and more on muscle mass, but yeah, it's not the end all, be all for individuals." was about ideal weight, in context of the thread topic. I admit I digressed a little from the thread topic.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,146 Member
    @AnnPT77
    I get your point now, and it's one worth underscoring. One should feel free to set a goal weight in MFP without fear that it will impact MFP's recommended daily calorie goal.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I often see folks arguing against the concept of BMI, but in their argument they seem to have an erroneous impression of what BMI actually is. Therefore, I think it's useful to go straight to a reliable source and get a refresher. This, from the CDC, with my emphasis:
    Body Mass Index (BMI) is a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. A high BMI can be an indicator of high body fatness. BMI can be used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems but it is not diagnostic of the body fatness or health of an individual.

...BMI is an inexpensive and easy screening method for weight category—underweight, healthy weight, overweight, and obesity.

BMI does not measure body fat directly, but BMI is moderately correlated with more direct measures of body fat (1,2,3). Furthermore, BMI appears to be as strongly correlated with various metabolic and disease outcome as are these more direct measures of body fatness (4,5,6,7,8,9).

To determine if BMI is a health risk, a healthcare provider performs further assessments. Such assessments include skinfold thickness measurements, evaluations of diet, physical activity, and family history (10).

In other words, the tool isn't really designed to tell any one person who much they should weigh. It only tells you where, statistically speaking, your weight begins to be correlated with certain disease risks. It doesn't mean you're absolutely going to get [insert disease] or that you have that disease now. It doesn't mean you can't be healthy, fit, and look good if you're a point or so into the overweight category. Nor does it mean that square in the middle of normal weight is where every person is going to look their best.

Similarly, an eye chart can't diagnose retinopathy, but it's where an eye doctor is going to start the process of determining your eye health.
    You said, "In other words, the tool isn't really designed to tell any one person [how] much they should weigh."
    That is precisely my point. The OP titled this thread "Is BMI an accurate way to know how much I should weigh?".
    To that question, I would answer, "No."
    Sure, it's a good screening tool. And one can argue it's applicability for the general population. But when it comes down to the individual, it is an approximation whose accuracy will depend heavily on that individuals specific body type.

Joining broken recordy posting :D

I dont think anybody says BMI will tell you your ideal weight or exactly how much you should weigh

What it will tell you, unless you are one of the obvious outliers listed upthread ( I stop short of broken record listing them again ;) ) is a range in which, or very slightly out of, you will be at a healthy weight

You can then 'filter this further' by considering whether you are likely to be healthiest at higher or lower end or range - context like whether you are an older asian women or a sporty young man

Nevertheless, it is extremely unlikely the answer to somebody asking, you know, like OP did in November I looked up my BMI last night and it says I’m overweight, so obviously I’m freaking out. But is it accurate? is not Yes if BMI says you are overweight, you are overweight.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member

I often see folks arguing against the concept of BMI, but in their argument they seem to have an erroneous impression of what BMI actually is. Therefore, I think it's useful to go straight to a reliable source and get a refresher. This, from the CDC, with my emphasis:
    Body Mass Index (BMI) is a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. A high BMI can be an indicator of high body fatness. BMI can be used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems but it is not diagnostic of the body fatness or health of an individual.

...BMI is an inexpensive and easy screening method for weight category—underweight, healthy weight, overweight, and obesity.

BMI does not measure body fat directly, but BMI is moderately correlated with more direct measures of body fat (1,2,3). Furthermore, BMI appears to be as strongly correlated with various metabolic and disease outcome as are these more direct measures of body fatness (4,5,6,7,8,9).

To determine if BMI is a health risk, a healthcare provider performs further assessments. Such assessments include skinfold thickness measurements, evaluations of diet, physical activity, and family history (10).

In other words, the tool isn't really designed to tell any one person who much they should weigh. It only tells you where, statistically speaking, your weight begins to be correlated with certain disease risks. It doesn't mean you're absolutely going to get [insert disease] or that you have that disease now. It doesn't mean you can't be healthy, fit, and look good if you're a point or so into the overweight category. Nor does it mean that square in the middle of normal weight is where every person is going to look their best.

Similarly, an eye chart can't diagnose retinopathy, but it's where an eye doctor is going to start the process of determining your eye health.
    You said, "In other words, the tool isn't really designed to tell any one person [how] much they should weigh."
    That is precisely my point. The OP titled this thread "Is BMI an accurate way to know how much I should weigh?".
    Sure, it's a good screening tool. And one can argue it's applicability for the general population. But when it comes down to the individual, it is an approximation whose accuracy will depend heavily on that individuals specific body type.

I dont think anybody says BMI will tell you your ideal weight or exactly how much you should weigh

What it will tell you, unless you are one of the obvious outliers listed upthread ( I stop short of broken record listing them again ;) ) is a range in which, or very slightly out of, you will be at a healthy weight

You can then 'filter this further' by considering whether you are likely to be healthiest at higher or lower end or range - context like whether you are an older asian women or a sporty young man

Nevertheless, it is extremely unlikely the answer to somebody asking, you know, like OP did in November I looked up my BMI last night and it says I’m overweight, so obviously I’m freaking out. But is it accurate? is not Yes if BMI says you are overweight, you are overweight.

Many years ago I had very severe body temperature issues at a bmi of 21, I was cold just staying in my appartment. And that's when I wasn't training or doing any physical activity. If you're cold all the time and have body temperature issues it's a sign you are not at a healthy weight.

It can be misleading to say you are healthy SOMEWHERE in that range, we don't know what range that is for an individual. For some it can be at the lower end for others it can be at the higher end. That is for the indivual to determine.

But the average person looks at the BMI index and says I can be healthy at a bmi of 19 which is not the case for a lot of people. It can be misleading or even dangerous.
  • AnnPT77
    Mellouk89 wrote: »

Many years ago I had very severe body temperature issues at a bmi of 21, I was cold just staying in my appartment. And that's when I wasn't training or doing any physical activity. If you're cold all the time and have body temperature issues it's a sign you are not at a healthy weight.

It can be misleading to say you are healthy SOMEWHERE in that range, we don't know what range that is for an individual. For some it can be at the lower end for others it can be at the higher end. That is for the indivual to determine.

But the average person looks at the BMI index and says I can be healthy at a bmi of 19 which is not the case for a lot of people. It can be misleading or even dangerous.

I suspect being cold may be more about adaptive thermogenesis - i.e., having restricted excessively - as opposed to thinness/leanness per se - but I can't prove it. I do know that when I lost weight in my youth (around age 20) to the mid-one-teens pounds (about BMI 19), I was cold all the time. When I lost to a similar weight this time, reaching there at age 60, I wasn't and haven't been cold at all. I doubt that I was much leaner (body fat percent) at 20 than at 60: I was a quite squishy young woman, probably more muscular now. I grant that, being female, I am likely to be at a better spot at a low BMI than most men would be at a similar BMI, though of course that's about averages not individuals.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »

Not sure why you have quoted me to say this.

No i dont think it is misleading to say you will be at at a healthy weight somewhere in, or slightly out of, the range
    Unless you are one of those obvious outliers already explained.

Of course for some their own ideal weight could be at lower end of range, for others at higher end depending on individual factors - I basically said that myself.

and nobody, least of all me, said YOU individually or any individual would be healthy at a BMI of 19 or 21 - yes indeed that would be misleading
    It also would be a complete strawman since nobody said it.

• stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    edited March 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This is broken-record-y, and I know you know it, but I'll underscore it in case of other readers:

The goal weight you put in MFP has absolutely no effect on the calorie goal MFP will calculate for you.

Your personal details (size, activity level sort of stuff) and the weight loss rate goal you select (X lbs/kg per week) are what determine the calorie goal. The goal weight is just used for some supposedly motivational messages and updates along the way ("you've lost X of Y pounds" kind of stuff).

This is an important note imho.

I really like this site - https://www.niddk.nih.gov/bwp as it helped me think about weight loss trajectory, how to get there, what maintenance might look like and allowed me to change some variables as well (impact of variance of exercise, etc). Of course, i don't take this site as an exact science but a general path.

As a side note, using the timeline and calculator above, it tracked almost exactly where i should be and where i ended up after 33 days. Literally within the range and within ounces of the prediction. During the 33 days, i was militantly diligent with only 1 "cheat" and the others being pretty much right on target for cals and macros.
  • stljam
    As to the OP, I don't look as BMI as accurate for me. In my case, my goal weight puts me in the overweight category based on bmi. At that "overweight" goal weight, I'll be 6ft tall with a waist between 32 and 34 inches and a 32 inch inseam. But that is just my experience and data relative to my own bmi.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,126 Member
    @stljam

That looks like an old NRS boat. Is it? Or maybe an old Hyside. Where's the picture taken?
  • stljam
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @stljam That looks like an old NRS boat. Is it? Or maybe an old Hyside. Where's the picture taken?

One of our favorite hobbies, white water rafting in Colorado. Can't remember if it was the gorge or the numbers. I don't think it was Brown's canyon.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,126 Member
    stljam wrote: »
    @stljam That looks like an old NRS boat. Is it? Or maybe an old Hyside. Where's the picture taken?

One of our favorite hobbies, white water rafting in Colorado. Can't remember if it was the gorge or the numbers. I don't think it was Brown's canyon.

My boat is an E-150.

qu4zroocojx2.jpg
  • stljam
    My boat is an E-150.

We're not local so we end up just chartering with an outfit to do the trips. It's only 2 of us and having a guide helps. lol.

Easily one of my favorite activities in life. So beautiful, fun, invigorating, great workout (especially abs if you are paddling correctly), etc.