This Infuriates Me

Options
oc60mvupl4ms.jpeg

This is a protein bar brand I really like. Went to check out their cookies, which are headlined on Amazon as having 16gr protein. Yay!

Well, folks, this is why we drill down into the details when logging food.

I can’t tell you how mad and frustrated this kind of nutrition labeling makes me. Come ON,folks!!!!

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    So each whole cookie is 390 cal.???? Yikes!! These better be dinner plate sized. :/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Man, that's a high calorie cookie. Might be time to change to another.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    So each whole cookie is 390 cal.???? Yikes!! These better be dinner plate sized. :/

400, per the package.

For that “price” I can eat a fresh baked saucer sized peanut butter cookie from Lidl’s bakery that really is worth it, lol. Or three servings of chocolate graham crackers.

I don’t get it. This brand’s (Nugo) protein bars are reasonable calories and clearly labeled. And probably tastier than this protein cookie? What’s the deal with all these protein cookie brands? Do they just play on the mindset of “oh it’s a protein cookie it must be healthy?” Or is a protein cookie that stellar that I’m missing out on something?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Well all grain-based bakery products technically have protein.

I mean, my regular multigrain English Muffin has 6g. Those cookies are pretty bad in the numbers. Look at the fat!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I question the whole fake protein market. But, those candy bars are just . . uh . . stupid.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've never had supplements except B12 and D3.
    If a professional contest winning bodybuilder like Robert Cheeke creates a successful career with no protein supplements, why should I need any?
  • gigius72
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    gigius72 wrote: »
    If a professional contest winning bodybuilder like Robert Cheeke creates a successful career with no protein supplements, why should I need any?
    Never heard of the guy and I'm an avid follower of bodybuilding since the 80's. If he was that successful, I would have likely heard of him.
    Also comparing yourself to another individual that commits himself to bodybuilding competitions is SO MUCH DIFFERENT.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I've never compared myself to him. I just said if someone who builds muscle for a career doesn't need them, why I should need them that I don't build muscles?
    Here, I used Google for you...I think he even wrote 6 or 7 books about bodybuilding.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Cheeke
  • 7rainbow
    7rainbow Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Omg, that's insane! This is why it is actually so important to track calories for weight loss. So many fad "diet" foods are super high in calories. I always check the nutrition label before trying out a new product (although I realize you probably couldn't see it online and such) because of that fact. Hopefully you can find an alternative yummy snack!
  • gigius72
    edited January 2021
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Never heard of the guy and I'm an avid follower of bodybuilding since the 80's. If he was that successful, I would have likely heard of him.
    Also comparing yourself to another individual that commits himself to bodybuilding competitions is SO MUCH DIFFERENT.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I've never compared myself to him. I just said if someone who builds muscle for a career doesn't need them, why I should need them that I don't build muscles?
    Here, I used Google for you...I think he even wrote 6 or 7 books about bodybuilding.

Have you seen his nutrition recommendations?

"Bottom line, nutrition is the most important aspect of bodybuilding. Things to consider....each day consume approx 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight....take in 3,500-6,000 calories per day focusing on quality bodybuilding foods....drink a gallon of water or more each day...stay consistent with your nutrition program....consume 6-10 meals per day eating every 2-3 hours....combine protein, carbs, fat, and water with each of those meals....use supplements to enhance nutritional balance ensuring a complete and effective nutrition program."

Whether his supplements include protein or not isn't clear but he certainly isn't anti-supplementation in general. It's worth pointing out someone eating a very large volume of food is far less likely to need to supplement their protein.
    But most people on here aren't eating a very large volume of food. Just like if you are sub-optimal on B12 or D3 why shouldn't someone supplement to hit optimal levels for protein?

I didn't say he didn't eat lots of proteins and when he started he used to supplement it. Now he sells it so if course he recommends it, but he quit using them.
    There are reasons for everything. I supplement B12 because I don't eat meat. I supplement D3 because I work overnight. Bodybuilders supplement proteins because they have to build massive muscle structure (which I still think it's not healthy).
    I read here people getting excessive protein just to suppress hunger. Maybe I'm wrong and I got the wrong impression that many people main focus is high amount of protein.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

"Bottom line, nutrition is the most important aspect of bodybuilding. Things to consider....each day consume approx 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight....take in 3,500-6,000 calories per day focusing on quality bodybuilding foods....drink a gallon of water or more each day...stay consistent with your nutrition program....consume 6-10 meals per day eating every 2-3 hours....combine protein, carbs, fat, and water with each of those meals....use supplements to enhance nutritional balance ensuring a complete and effective nutrition program."

Whether his supplements include protein or not isn't clear but he certainly isn't anti-supplementation in general. It's worth pointing out someone eating a very large volume of food is far less likely to need to supplement their protein.
    But most people on here aren't eating a very large volume of food. Just like if you are sub-optimal on B12 or D3 why shouldn't someone supplement to hit optimal levels for protein?

I didn't say he didn't eat lots of proteins and when he started he used to supplement it. Now he sells it so if course he recommends it, but he quit using them.
    There are reasons for everything. I supplement B12 because I don't eat meat. I supplement D3 because I work overnight. Bodybuilders supplement proteins because they have to build massive muscle structure (which I still think it's not healthy).
    I read here people getting excessive protein just to suppress hunger. Maybe in wrong and I got the wrong impression that many people main focus is high amount of protein.

And other people raise their protein levels because it helps preserve existing muscle mass during weight loss, or because they are older and protein absorbtion isn't as good, or because they have high exercise levels, or because they want to maximise the benefits of their exercise - all just as valid reasons as you trying to get your D3 up to optimal.

Not seeing the big issue that this piece of confectionary has pea protein rather than someone eating peas, just like I don't see any issue with people choosing whey protein instead of drinking lots of milk.
    If you don't need or want to supplement protein that's absolutely fine, I very rarely do now because I have a big calorie allowance and get plenty from my food but when I was dieting whey protein was a very calorie efficient method to hit optimal levels.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I read here people getting excessive protein just to suppress hunger. Maybe I'm wrong and I got the wrong impression that many people main focus is high amount of protein.

What do you consider a high amount of protein?