This Infuriates Me

2»

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2021
    I often say here that I eat high protein for satiety sake. However, it’s also for muscle. I may not look like much, but it’s muscle underneath these days and I want to preserve it- and hopefully build some more.

I prefer getting my protein via meats, dairy etc. I can’t bear to drink protein supplements, but a lot of folks here swear by them. Bully for them.

I’ve broken down and begun keeping (Nugo) protein bars in the house because
    * in all honesty, the chocolate chip mint is as good as any candy bar
    * better for my diabetic husband and keeps him full and happy
    * they don’t tear up our stomachs like other brands
    * I’m trying to gain a pound or two now
    * even I, Reformed Queen of Sweets, balk at potentially eating more than one pricey protein bar a day.

Oh, the irony, I say to you in my best dramatic voice, since I used to obliviously scarf a not-so-small daily fortune in candies and cookies. I bet Little Debbie, Mars and Hershey’s stock dropped when I stopped paying daily visits to the grocery store.

My doctor prescribed a very specific brand of sublingual (dissolved under the tongue for better absorption) OTC B12 tabs three or four years ago when I kept going to her complaining of exhaustion. Immediate relief.

Unfortunately, either production shut down because of covid, or more likely, demand skyrocketed because of same. I can’t find “my” brand anywhere right now and am fixing to start a bottle of a different one shortly. Fingers crossed. That’s the one supplement I feel has really made a noticeable difference in my life.

I guess maybe I'll have to try these Nugo bars because I keep hoping to find an easy and quick protein fix, and every bat I have tried is...lacking. I just bought some No Cows yesterday after getting suckered in by flavor descriptions, and not only are they awful, but they also have the weirdest texture.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I often say here that I eat high protein for satiety sake. However, it’s also for muscle. I may not look like much, but it’s muscle underneath these days and I want to preserve it- and hopefully build some more.

I prefer getting my protein via meats, dairy etc. I can’t bear to drink protein supplements, but a lot of folks here swear by them. Bully for them.

I’ve broken down and begun keeping (Nugo) protein bars in the house because
    * in all honesty, the chocolate chip mint is as good as any candy bar
    * better for my diabetic husband and keeps him full and happy
    * they don’t tear up our stomachs like other brands
    * I’m trying to gain a pound or two now
    * even I, Reformed Queen of Sweets, balk at potentially eating more than one pricey protein bar a day.

Oh, the irony, I say to you in my best dramatic voice, since I used to obliviously scarf a not-so-small daily fortune in candies and cookies. I bet Little Debbie, Mars and Hershey’s stock dropped when I stopped paying daily visits to the grocery store.

My doctor prescribed a very specific brand of sublingual (dissolved under the tongue for better absorption) OTC B12 tabs three or four years ago when I kept going to her complaining of exhaustion. Immediate relief.

Unfortunately, either production shut down because of covid, or more likely, demand skyrocketed because of same. I can’t find “my” brand anywhere right now and am fixing to start a bottle of a different one shortly. Fingers crossed. That’s the one supplement I feel has really made a noticeable difference in my life.

I guess maybe I'll have to try these Nugo bars because I keep hoping to find an easy and quick protein fix, and every bat I have tried is...lacking. I just bought some No Cows yesterday after getting suckered in by flavor descriptions, and not only are they awful, but they also have the weirdest texture.

Nugo dark chocolate covered pretzel is the best!
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Yes springerling62, B12 is important. It supports all our nervous system. I wish more doctors would check it like they did to you. Natural absorption after you turn 50-60 years old is reduced and a sublingual supplement gets straight into your system.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    I second the Nugo bars the dark chocolate pretzel tastes great, so does the vanilla. I consider them a treat, I could eat a candy bar go get my chocolate fix, but these have the added protein which I why I like them: they also keep me pretty satisfied for a while so they are good on the go for me.
  • dragon_girl26
    panda4153 wrote: »
    I second the Nugo bars the dark chocolate pretzel tastes great, so does the vanilla. I consider them a treat, I could eat a candy bar go get my chocolate fix, but these have the added protein which I why I like them: they also keep me pretty satisfied for a while so they are good on the go for me.

Since this is the third vote for Nugo I'll have to give then a whirl and report back.
  • dragon_girl26
    Ok...reporting back because my Nugo dark chocolate pretzel bars just arrived from Amazon...and they are surprisingly awesome for a protein bar, and chalky texture free! MFP has not led me astray...thanks for the recommendation!