How many times do you workout?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I'm active most days, but sometimes life gets in the way.

Sunday: 2.5 - 3 mile walk AM; Weight room mid morning; 30-60 minute free ride on Zwift or outdoors if it's nice...or just chill out for the rest of the day.
    Monday: 2.5 - 3 mile walk AM
    Tuesday: 2.5 - 3 mile walk AM; Zwift programmed training workout PM
    Wednesday: 2.5-3 mile walk AM; Weight room PM
    Thursday: 2.5 - 3 mile walk AM; Zwift programmed training workout PM
    Friday: 2.5 - 3 mile walk AM; Personal trainer session PM
    Saturday: 2.5-3 mile walk AM; Optional Zwift workout or free ride or other activity PM

Monday is basically my rest/recovery day as it tends to be the busiest day of the week for me workwise and I have a commute to work that is 2 hours round trip. Saturday is kind of optional for the bike or other physical activity depending on how I feel and whatever else is going on...like having to re-tile the shower or something.

Summer and going into fall tends to be much less structured as I'm am just out more being active for recreation and sport...more outdoor mountain biking...more casual group rides to the bike in coffee shop on weekends...more hiking, etc.

I'm currently maintaining a 20 Lb weight gain in 2020 and just started the diet component this week to start cutting weight. Exercise is great, but diet has a lot more impact on weight.

• breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    I get in moods. During the coldest parts of winter and hottest parts of summer, I tend to be the least consistent with my workouts.
    But I love walking and dancing around. This week, I've danced around every day for 45 minutes. I started Strong lifts 5x5 in November, but I do it only twice a week when no one is at my apartment gym.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    6 days per week mostly resistance training and the other day is a stretch or cardio day.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I get 15K steps a day, one way or another. Usually either a long walk or shopping, or doing a cardio workout, then a lunch walk. I guess my actual purposeful cardio workouts are about 3 to 5 times a week for 55 minutes. In the evenings I do anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes of yoga before bed.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    As of this week I've been trying to do something every single day even if it's just 15 or 20 minutes of heavy heart pumping action!
  • dragon_girl26
    gigius72 wrote: »
    I run at least 3 miles everyday. I work overnight so on my Monday I go to work without sleeping for almost 24 hours. If that day after work I'm tired I take it as my resting day.
    Twice a week I have a 2 hour long martial art class.
    When weather gets warmer I abandon my car and use only my bicycle (for work, gym and shopping).
    I quit weight lifting some years ago. It became too boring for me.

I tried weight lifting for awhile too, same result. I really just don't enjoy it and I'd find myself watching the clock. Well, that and once I started to squat at a heavier weight, it aggravated a nerve in my back so I was in pain a lot. No thanks...not worth it.
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    I run at least 3 miles everyday. I work overnight so on my Monday I go to work without sleeping for almost 24 hours. If that day after work I'm tired I take it as my resting day.
    When weather gets warmer I abandon my car and use only my bicycle (for work, gym and shopping).

I tried weight lifting for awhile too, same result. I really just don't enjoy it and I'd find myself watching the clock. Well, that and once I started to squat at a heavier weight, it aggravated a nerve in my back so I was in pain a lot. No thanks...not worth it.

I always found weight lifting boring too. Since following Sydney Cummings on YouTube though I never miss a day. She makes it fun and easy. You don’t have to think about what you want to do, don’t have to time or count reps or sets. I haven’t missed a day since I started last July. I look forward to this now as my daily main type of exercise.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    breefoshee wrote: »
    I get in moods. During the coldest parts of winter and hottest parts of summer, I tend to be the least consistent with my workouts.
    But I love walking and dancing around. This week, I've danced around every day for 45 minutes. I started Strong lifts 5x5 in November, but I do it only twice a week when no one is at my apartment gym.

Now the dancing around sounds fun and uplifting and why oh why am I not doing this!?! I have music and today there's going to be a dance party up in here!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    I get 15K steps a day, one way or another. Usually either a long walk or shopping, or doing a cardio workout, then a lunch walk. I guess my actual purposeful cardio workouts are about 3 to 5 times a week for 55 minutes. In the evenings I do anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes of yoga before bed.
    Right now I'm getting in over 20,000 steps a day, but once I'm back to work it'll pare down to about 14,000 with the exception of days where I teach cardio kickbox classes. But at least I'll be lifting heavy again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dragon_girl26

I always found weight lifting boring too. Since following Sydney Cummings on YouTube though I never miss a day. She makes it fun and easy. You don’t have to think about what you want to do, don’t have to time or count reps or sets. I haven’t missed a day since I started last July. I look forward to this now as my daily main type of exercise.

I will look for this. I did Les Mills BodyPump classes when I still had my gym membership, usually about once a week because that was all my patience could handle. It was better than trying to just do heavy lifting, so maybe this will work for me too. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • dragon_girl26
    edited January 2021
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Right now I'm getting in over 20,000 steps a day, but once I'm back to work it'll pare down to about 14,000 with the exception of days where I teach cardio kickbox classes. But at least I'll be lifting heavy again.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I really wish I enjoyed lifting heavy more than I did...people here seem to have such great results with it.
    I love cardio kickboxing though..that's what I am doing for at least 2 of my cardio days each week.
  • britishbombshell08
    britishbombshell08 Posts: 95 Member
    annieu613 wrote: »
    I have 5 structured workouts per week, but on my "off" days I try to do something active, taking my dogs on an extra long walk, hiking, doing some deep stretching, etc. I try to listen to what my body needs.

That’s cool. I want to get more into hiking as soon as the weather gets a little warmer!! I definitely listen to what my body needs also. Thanks for the tips!
  • britishbombshell08
    dsc84 wrote: »
    5-6 times a week at the gym, but life keeps me active as well so though I don't call it a workout, I'm still up and moving. It really depends on my goals as to what I do. Legs/Lower Body twice a week, Upper Body twice a week. Day 5 and or 6 is working things I feel were lacking and or Cardio. I need to add more Cardio for sure.

I get it, my life keeps me pretty active too so I understand that. And yes cardio is key 🔑
  • mv1671001
    mv1671001 Posts: 2 Member
    1 Hour a day every morning
  • ClaireBri74
    ClaireBri74 Posts: 84 Member

Wow!! That’s an amazing regimen but I love it because your body is being worked out differently every day to prevent muscle fatigue!! I also do stretching but usually before and after my workouts. I have started doing some yoga also though and I love it!

Thank you :)

I stretch after but I was finding its not enough and I need to do some mind / body relax - although on this weeks stretch is was 45 minutes, i fell, I swore at the TV and yelped. Felt good after though lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I really wish I enjoyed lifting heavy more than I did...people here seem to have such great results with it.
    I love cardio kickboxing though..that's what I am doing for at least 2 of my cardio days each week.
    But you DON'T have to lift heavy. You just have to have intensity in your workouts. A lot of my clients (female) don't curl more than 25lbs total for both arms (12.5lb dumbbells). But it's how we rep it and/or angles we use. Supersetting and using different equipment helps as well. Might behoove you to consider a fun trainer. I have a few clients I've had for years that hate lifting by themselves, but love it when I instruct them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • britishbombshell08

Wow!! That’s an amazing regimen but I love it because your body is being worked out differently every day to prevent muscle fatigue!! I also do stretching but usually before and after my workouts. I have started doing some yoga also though and I love it!

Thank you :)

I stretch after but I was finding its not enough and I need to do some mind / body relax - although on this weeks stretch is was 45 minutes, i fell, I swore at the TV and yelped. Felt good after though lol

Haha well that’s always a good release🤣💪
  • britishbombshell08

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

But you DON'T have to lift heavy. You just have to have intensity in your workouts. A lot of my clients (female) don't curl more than 25lbs total for both arms (12.5lb dumbbells). But it's how we rep it and/or angles we use. Supersetting and using different equipment helps as well. Might behoove you to consider a fun trainer. I have a few clients I've had for years that hate lifting by themselves, but love it when I instruct them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes I agree.... it’s definitely not about lifting heavy. What’s important is the amount of reps you do. It all depends on what you’re looking for. So use light weights but high reps😉💪💪
  • britishbombshell08
    mv1671001 wrote: »
    1 Hour a day every morning

Nice!!! I don’t necessarily have a set time with my schedule but I still manage to get a workout in multiple times throughout the week💪
  • dragon_girl26

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You may be right. I've never worked with a trainer and that could be part of the issue as well. As I mentioned above to another commenter, I did LM BodyPump classes so I was familiar with form on some lifts...but there were still a lot of times I would try to do routines out of books and wonder if my form was really correct. I don't want to have to think that much!

Might keep the boredom at bay, too!