Black COFFEE suggestions..

2

Replies

  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 3,893 Member
    edited January 2021
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    gigius72 wrote: »
    What are some suggestions on black coffee, coldbrews, premade, store brought, recipes etc...That don't trigger appetite, I noticed when I make some black "flavored" coffees it triggers my appetite also when I add Stevia drops it does, idk know if its one or the other, maby both. I can't find ingredients for the flavors on the coffee bag.
    - Flavors I use are Peppermint, Creme Brule, and Vanilla roast, ground coffees any suggestions would be awesome.

    I don't know specifically about stevia. But studies showed that artificial sweeteners, even though 0 calories, they actually increase insulin levels and create hunger.
    Have you looked into monk fruit? It's natural, 0 calories. Just pay attention, because its production is not cheap so companies mix it with sweeteners. Check the ingredients before buying it. But if you buy it with nothing added, it is sweeter than sugar and you will use less in quantity.

    What studies?

    Research it, I know you're great at finding credible and reliable resources!

    Well that isnt the way claims work.

    You make the claim, you provide the evidence to validate it.

    Absolutely not true! You do your own research and don't rely on others to do it for you! You want to back your own claim, do it! But don't depend on others to back their claims! Plus I'd rather do my own research because I'm pickier about who or what I trust.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 8,146 Member
    Good quality beans roasted the way you like them roasted. I have some go-to that I use. Let them age a day or three after roasting before grinding for the full flavor to mature.

    I am a big fan of single-cup pour-over coffee. Get a cone and some filters. I use unbleached because who needs bleach? Paper filters remove the caffestol. Coffee presses also make good coffee, but they have two drawbacks to me. One is the caffestol. The other is that since some of the actual coffee stays in the liquid, it keeps brewing in your cup.

    My method that makes a fine cup with no additions:
    • Assemble paper filter by folding along the crimped edge.
    • Put filter in cone and run some water through it to remove any paper particles. Some use hot water.
    • Add freshly ground coffee. Not too fine, but not too coarse. If you can afford a burr grinder, go for it. I keep promising myself one, but still use a blade grinder.
    • Pour a little water just off the boil in and the grounds "bloom." As they are blooming, stir them gently with a spoon.
    • Continue adding boiling water to keep the grounds barely floating in the water.

    Enjoy a really good cup. Then make another when done. I have three most days.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    How is stevia artificial when it comes from a leaf? How is it any more artificial than maple from a tree or sugar from a cane or that delicious bee excrement, honey?

    That is why I said I don't know about stevia. I haven't bought it in probably 10 years. When it was the newer sugar alternative, it was like it is monk fruit now. They added artificial sweeteners to cut the cost of production.
    Stevia leaf is not all sweet, only part of it. So either they used the small part of it which is sweet (and that would make it more cost elevated) or they added sucralose or other sweeteners.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,756 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    gigius72 wrote: »
    What are some suggestions on black coffee, coldbrews, premade, store brought, recipes etc...That don't trigger appetite, I noticed when I make some black "flavored" coffees it triggers my appetite also when I add Stevia drops it does, idk know if its one or the other, maby both. I can't find ingredients for the flavors on the coffee bag.
    - Flavors I use are Peppermint, Creme Brule, and Vanilla roast, ground coffees any suggestions would be awesome.

    I don't know specifically about stevia. But studies showed that artificial sweeteners, even though 0 calories, they actually increase insulin levels and create hunger.
    Have you looked into monk fruit? It's natural, 0 calories. Just pay attention, because its production is not cheap so companies mix it with sweeteners. Check the ingredients before buying it. But if you buy it with nothing added, it is sweeter than sugar and you will use less in quantity.

    What studies?

    I've seen the appetite increasing studies in artificial sweeteners threads in Debate. However, since they don't say that the appetite increasing effect is universally true, I would have worded it "But studies showed that artificial sweeteners MAY increase hunger in SOME people."

    (I'm not up on the "increase insulin levels" piece.)

    Yep, I’ve seen those. I was wondering if there is some new information on sweeteners.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/study-review-do-sweeteners-affect-insulin-levels-and-sensitivity-2/

    Re the claim that artificial sweeteners (or no cal sweeteners) cause an insulin effect, the above says no likely effect.

    And even from MarksDailyApple, a site that is normally anti both sugar and sweeteners, he doesn't think so based on the studies: https://www.marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners-insulin/

    Re triggering appetite, obv it will be individual. I kind of stand by my advice to just drink it plain (if black is not the correct word for that, sigh), as for me plain coffee is both the tastiest by far (sweet coffee seems weird to me) or with milk and count the cals, as for me milk doesn't increase appetite, just wastes cals if added to coffee, or add something non sweet if sweetness is a trigger for you. But for me (like kimny above), diet soda (my main source of added sweetener) is definitely not appetite provoking. It's going to depend on the person, but I've always found coffee an appetite suppressant, although I think it might be because I have a tendency to want to eat when not hungry and drinking an (almost) no cal bev instead satisfies me, including in the mornings as I currently don't eat before noon normally.

    It might be true. But can I point out just a thing?
    Randomized cross trial, not controlled. With self reported dietary behavior and self reported exercise behavior.
    That means you go home, live your life, go to the clinic and drink the can. Wait. Take measurement and they ask you what did you eat? Unless they were all people on a diet who wrote down exact weight I doubt they knew exactly what they ate in quantity.
    It was good they made a cross trial, but they needed a controlled trial. I'm not saying it's worth nothing. But not too precise.
    And I'm done with this post...I didn't even want to answer this one.
  • Kaysmile012015
    Kaysmile012015 Posts: 68 Member
    So I brought two 42oz coldbrews at the grocery today( it was BOGO!)the brand is LaColombe- (black unsweetened) The taste is magnificent!! I swear, I haven't tried a coldbrew that I didn't love, but it gets expensive. Anybody have any ideas on how they make, premade coldbrew, so delicious and smooth?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,756 Member
    Funny you should ask. Lol

    You can make cold brew at home. It’s super easy. I do it all the time.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 3,893 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    gigius72 wrote: »
    What are some suggestions on black coffee, coldbrews, premade, store brought, recipes etc...That don't trigger appetite, I noticed when I make some black "flavored" coffees it triggers my appetite also when I add Stevia drops it does, idk know if its one or the other, maby both. I can't find ingredients for the flavors on the coffee bag.
    - Flavors I use are Peppermint, Creme Brule, and Vanilla roast, ground coffees any suggestions would be awesome.

    I don't know specifically about stevia. But studies showed that artificial sweeteners, even though 0 calories, they actually increase insulin levels and create hunger.
    Have you looked into monk fruit? It's natural, 0 calories. Just pay attention, because its production is not cheap so companies mix it with sweeteners. Check the ingredients before buying it. But if you buy it with nothing added, it is sweeter than sugar and you will use less in quantity.

    What studies?

    Research it, I know you're great at finding credible and reliable resources!

    Well that isnt the way claims work.

    You make the claim, you provide the evidence to validate it.

    Absolutely not true! You do your own research and don't rely on others to do it for you! You want to back your own claim, do it! But don't depend on others to back their claims! Plus I'd rather do my own research because I'm pickier about who or what I trust.


    No - if you make a claim on a forum or any platform, you provide the evidence.
    Obviously people can then assess if it is a trustworthy or credible source

    " do your own research" is usually stated by people who don't actually have any evidence to back up their claims.

    I will leave this point now so as not to derail thread.

    Absolutely not true! Look it up, way too easy and there's a link posted above about it. She was kind to post it. I, however, am not going to waste my time trying to prove my point because I don't give a flying flip if someone, such as yourself, believes me or not.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    So I brought two 42oz coldbrews at the grocery today( it was BOGO!)the brand is LaColombe- (black unsweetened) The taste is magnificent!! I swear, I haven't tried a coldbrew that I didn't love, but it gets expensive. Anybody have any ideas on how they make, premade coldbrew, so delicious and smooth?

    I make some incredibly strong coldbrew at home in a half-gallon juice pitcher. I have this mesh bag (actually meant for cheesemaking) that I basically use similar to a giant teabag. I use a good 1-1.25 cups of ground coffee in the bag and steep in the fridge for at least 24 hours, usually closer to 48. I squeeze out all the coffee I can from the bag and decant into another pitcher to remove most of the silt; if I cared enough I could probably rig up a better filter system to get all of those super-fine particles, but as it is I just deal with it. I wind up with almost a coffee concentrate - I could definitely dilute it with some water, maybe 2:1 coffee:water or even 1:1 if I used a LOT of grounds and steeped for several days (which has happened, I just kept forgetting I'd started a batch on Sunday until Thursday morning).
  • Kaysmile012015
    Kaysmile012015 Posts: 68 Member
    So I brought two 42oz coldbrews at the grocery today( it was BOGO!)the brand is LaColombe- (black unsweetened) The taste is magnificent!! I swear, I haven't tried a coldbrew that I didn't love, but it gets expensive. Anybody have any ideas on how they make, premade coldbrew, so delicious and smooth?

    I make some incredibly strong coldbrew at home in a half-gallon juice pitcher. I have this mesh bag (actually meant for cheesemaking) that I basically use similar to a giant teabag. I use a good 1-1.25 cups of ground coffee in the bag and steep in the fridge for at least 24 hours, usually closer to 48. I squeeze out all the coffee I can from the bag and decant into another pitcher to remove most of the silt; if I cared enough I could probably rig up a better filter system to get all of those super-fine particles, but as it is I just deal with it. I wind up with almost a coffee concentrate - I could definitely dilute it with some water, maybe 2:1 coffee:water or even 1:1 if I used a LOT of grounds and steeped for several days (which has happened, I just kept forgetting I'd started a batch on Sunday until Thursday morning).

    Yep, im going to steal your cheesecloth filtering method; I've made coldbrew and filtered using a coffee filter, it took super long, and I had to keep stirring mixture to realease liquid..:(
    -Can you explain how you remove the silt, i didn't quite get it?
  • Kaysmile012015
    Kaysmile012015 Posts: 68 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    gigius72 wrote: »
    What are some suggestions on black coffee, coldbrews, premade, store brought, recipes etc...That don't trigger appetite, I noticed when I make some black "flavored" coffees it triggers my appetite also when I add Stevia drops it does, idk know if its one or the other, maby both. I can't find ingredients for the flavors on the coffee bag.
    - Flavors I use are Peppermint, Creme Brule, and Vanilla roast, ground coffees any suggestions would be awesome.

    I don't know specifically about stevia. But studies showed that artificial sweeteners, even though 0 calories, they actually increase insulin levels and create hunger.
    Have you looked into monk fruit? It's natural, 0 calories. Just pay attention, because its production is not cheap so companies mix it with sweeteners. Check the ingredients before buying it. But if you buy it with nothing added, it is sweeter than sugar and you will use less in quantity.

    What studies?

    Research it, I know you're great at finding credible and reliable resources!

    Well that isnt the way claims work.

    You make the claim, you provide the evidence to validate it.

    Absolutely not true! You do your own research and don't rely on others to do it for you! You want to back your own claim, do it! But don't depend on others to back their claims! Plus I'd rather do my own research because I'm pickier about who or what I trust.


    No - if you make a claim on a forum or any platform, you provide the evidence.
    Obviously people can then assess if it is a trustworthy or credible source

    " do your own research" is usually stated by people who don't actually have any evidence to back up their claims.

    I will leave this point now so as not to derail thread.

    Absolutely not true! Look it up, way too easy and there's a link posted above about it. She was kind to post it. I, however, am not going to waste my time trying to prove my point because I don't give a flying flip if someone, such as yourself, believes me or not.

    I actually remember hearing (and perhaps reading) about the sweeteners being linked to insulin que, side effects and crashes...it was like ten or so yrs ago, maby a little more, when all types of new sweeteners were coming out. It was lots of information circulating because it they were supposedly newer "safe" "better" "sweeter"..artificial sweeteners, I believe Splenda was still on the chopping block too.

    -I don't blame you for not wanting to dig into historical research and internet history at the behest of a thread reply, if they're really that pressed to know validity, I agree, they can simply, verify it, unless they don't have internet..but then how are they refreshing this..foru... know what,..nevermind.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    So I brought two 42oz coldbrews at the grocery today( it was BOGO!)the brand is LaColombe- (black unsweetened) The taste is magnificent!! I swear, I haven't tried a coldbrew that I didn't love, but it gets expensive. Anybody have any ideas on how they make, premade coldbrew, so delicious and smooth?

    I make some incredibly strong coldbrew at home in a half-gallon juice pitcher. I have this mesh bag (actually meant for cheesemaking) that I basically use similar to a giant teabag. I use a good 1-1.25 cups of ground coffee in the bag and steep in the fridge for at least 24 hours, usually closer to 48. I squeeze out all the coffee I can from the bag and decant into another pitcher to remove most of the silt; if I cared enough I could probably rig up a better filter system to get all of those super-fine particles, but as it is I just deal with it. I wind up with almost a coffee concentrate - I could definitely dilute it with some water, maybe 2:1 coffee:water or even 1:1 if I used a LOT of grounds and steeped for several days (which has happened, I just kept forgetting I'd started a batch on Sunday until Thursday morning).

    Yep, im going to steal your cheesecloth filtering method; I've made coldbrew and filtered using a coffee filter, it took super long, and I had to keep stirring mixture to realease liquid..:(
    -Can you explain how you remove the silt, i didn't quite get it?

    Basically just pour the coldbrew from the jug I steeped it in into another one, carefully so as not to disturb the layer of ultra-fine coffee dust on the bottom of the jug. A little bit does always end up in the second jug, so the last cup is a bit silty and more bitter than the rest of the batch, but it's not enough of an annoyance for me to actually do anything about it.

    If I were so inclined, here's what I would probably do:
    * Let steeping jug sit on the counter sans-bag after squeezing out the liquid, to let the silt settle more thoroughly.
    * Pour very slowly and put a filter of some kind over the second jug. I have these skimmer spoons that would probably work pretty well.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,282 Member
    I make cold brew in my french press - same amount of coffee as I would if I was making it hot, and put it in the fridge for 24-48 hours before pressing. It's awesome. But it starts with excellent, freshly roasted coffee that I grind fresh.
  • Kaysmile012015
    Kaysmile012015 Posts: 68 Member
    So I brought two 42oz coldbrews at the grocery today( it was BOGO!)the brand is LaColombe- (black unsweetened) The taste is magnificent!! I swear, I haven't tried a coldbrew that I didn't love, but it gets expensive. Anybody have any ideas on how they make, premade coldbrew, so delicious and smooth?

    I make some incredibly strong coldbrew at home in a half-gallon juice pitcher. I have this mesh bag (actually meant for cheesemaking) that I basically use similar to a giant teabag. I use a good 1-1.25 cups of ground coffee in the bag and steep in the fridge for at least 24 hours, usually closer to 48. I squeeze out all the coffee I can from the bag and decant into another pitcher to remove most of the silt; if I cared enough I could probably rig up a better filter system to get all of those super-fine particles, but as it is I just deal with it. I wind up with almost a coffee concentrate - I could definitely dilute it with some water, maybe 2:1 coffee:water or even 1:1 if I used a LOT of grounds and steeped for several days (which has happened, I just kept forgetting I'd started a batch on Sunday until Thursday morning).

    Yep, im going to steal your cheesecloth filtering method; I've made coldbrew and filtered using a coffee filter, it took super long, and I had to keep stirring mixture to realease liquid..:(
    -Can you explain how you remove the silt, i didn't quite get it?

    Basically just pour the coldbrew from the jug I steeped it in into another one, carefully so as not to disturb the layer of ultra-fine coffee dust on the bottom of the jug. A little bit does always end up in the second jug, so the last cup is a bit silty and more bitter than the rest of the batch, but it's not enough of an annoyance for me to actually do anything about it.

    If I were so inclined, here's what I would probably do:
    * Let steeping jug sit on the counter sans-bag after squeezing out the liquid, to let the silt settle more thoroughly.
    * Pour very slowly and put a filter of some kind over the second jug. I have these skimmer spoons that would probably work pretty well.

    Got it👍thanks.