Black COFFEE suggestions..

What are some suggestions on black coffee, coldbrews, premade, store brought, recipes etc...That don't trigger appetite, I noticed when I make some black "flavored" coffees it triggers my appetite also when I add Stevia drops it does, idk know if its one or the other, maby both. I can't find ingredients for the flavors on the coffee bag.
- Flavors I use are Peppermint, Creme Brule, and Vanilla roast, ground coffees any suggestions would be awesome.

Replies

• gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2021
    What are some suggestions on black coffee, coldbrews, premade, store brought, recipes etc...That don't trigger appetite, I noticed when I make some black "flavored" coffees it triggers my appetite also when I add Stevia drops it does, idk know if its one or the other, maby both. I can't find ingredients for the flavors on the coffee bag.
    - Flavors I use are Peppermint, Creme Brule, and Vanilla roast, ground coffees any suggestions would be awesome.

I don't know specifically about stevia. But studies showed that artificial sweeteners, even though 0 calories, they actually increase insulin levels and create hunger.
    Have you looked into monk fruit? It's natural, 0 calories. Just pay attention, because its production is not cheap so companies mix it with sweeteners. Check the ingredients before buying it. But if you buy it with nothing added, it is sweeter than sugar and you will use less in quantity.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Hazelnut is nice. I grind whole beans every morning and sometimes throw a small handful of cocoa nibs into the grind for a hint of smooth cocoa.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Try adding a pinch of salt to your coffee, it neutralizes the bitterness. This may help.

Can confirm, just a little bit of salt takes the edge off without making the coffee salty. Not a lot, literally just a pinch.

Salt is my go-to for stuff like diner coffee that's been sitting on a warmer for a hundred years and gotten all burnt and bitter-tasting. I sort of forced myself off of sweetened coffee in undergrad, learned to like it black with no sugar - first of all, I didn't have time to fix up a mug of coffee-flavored sugar-milk when I was trying to write a paper at 3 AM, and second of all, I didn't want the calories or hunger spike that came with adding stuff to my coffee. Eventually I got more "into" coffee and now I buy whole beans from a local roastery and grind some fresh each morning to brew in my French press. Coffee is one of those hobbies that can get expensive quick if you let it, but even just buying, like, Eight O'Clock whole beans at the grocery store is a step up from your Folgers/similar big-name can-o-grounds.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    I see @gigius72 got disagrees and why I don't know because it's legitimate, true, and sincere advice.

Why ask for advice or an opinion if you want to dictate or manipulate the response?!

Anyway @gigius72 wrapped it up in a nutshell.

Also, if you're using flavored coffees and they're triggering the old appetite, you may want to try coffees that don't have flavor added.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Hazelnut is nice. I grind whole beans every morning and sometimes throw a small handful of cocoa nibs into the grind for a hint of smooth cocoa.

This. We grind whole beans daily, and actually mix hazelnut and a medium dark roast 50/50
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    gigius72 wrote: »

I don't know specifically about stevia. But studies showed that artificial sweeteners, even though 0 calories, they actually increase insulin levels and create hunger.
    Have you looked into monk fruit? It's natural, 0 calories. Just pay attention, because its production is not cheap so companies mix it with sweeteners. Check the ingredients before buying it. But if you buy it with nothing added, it is sweeter than sugar and you will use less in quantity.

What studies?

Research it, I know you're great at finding credible and reliable resources!
  • Kaysmile012015
    Kaysmile012015 Posts: 68 Member

You are right, its definitely an insulin response.Thats why I moved to drinking black coffee, I can't take the hunger spikes, from add-ins, I thought the pure Stevia drops I use are safe ( but that might not be the case).Today I didnt use any Stevia and drank plain black(non flavored) coffee and NO HUNGER SPIKES; So it's definitely the flavors, or the stevia, I'll have to do some experimenting to find out, but in the meantime( my) plain black coffees taste was not so great👎

-I have a sack of monk fruit sweetener, but it has erythritol thats no good, right?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

Um, I actually doubt any of the above trigger appetite, but personally I drink coffee black (which so far as I know meas not adding sugar or any other sweetener or flavoring) and it has never triggered appetite, so maybe try that.
  • Kaysmile012015
    kimny72 wrote: »

I'll own my disagree. There are some studies that seem to show artificial sweeteners trigger an insulin response. Many more show no such thing, and both the American and British Diabetes associations recommend artificial sweeteners to diabetics.

It is also not universally true that artificial sweeteners make you hungrier. Some people say it's true for them, others say they have no affect. I often have a diet soda when I feel snacky and have personally never found them to increase my appetite at all.

To the OP, are you trying to essentially replace breakfast with coffee? I do find caffeine works as an appetite suppressant myself, but even so black coffee doesn't work for me. I have to use 1/4 cup of milk in my big mug of coffee, and it still only holds me over to a pretty early lunch. Sometimes I'll have a small protein snack with my coffee, like one egg or a string cheese to tide me over better. It's possible you're one of those people who just needs some food in the AM!

The pinch of salt is a great tip for making your black coffee more palatable without adding calories if you want to try something other than zero cal sweeteners.

Actually I've done it all, breakfast, no breakfast, smoothies, personally, I do best w lots of water and black coffee (maby some almonds) in the morning; All that Milk, creamers etc.. cause me digestive issues and stomach upset later, so no thanks.
  • Kaysmile012015
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Um, I actually doubt any of the above trigger appetite, but personally I drink coffee black (which so far as I know meas not adding sugar or any other sweetener or flavoring) and it has never triggered appetite, so maybe try that.
    #1Coffee can be purchased flavored and served black
    #2 Sweetened black coffee is still black coffee
    Definition of black coffee below:

black coffee
    in British English
    (blæk ˈkɒfɪ)

NOUN
    coffee with no milk, milk substitute, or cream added
    Compare white coffee
  • Kaysmile012015
    Try adding a pinch of salt to your coffee, it neutralizes the bitterness. This may help.

Can confirm, just a little bit of salt takes the edge off without making the coffee salty. Not a lot, literally just a pinch.

Salt is my go-to for stuff like diner coffee that's been sitting on a warmer for a hundred years and gotten all burnt and bitter-tasting. I sort of forced myself off of sweetened coffee in undergrad, learned to like it black with no sugar - first of all, I didn't have time to fix up a mug of coffee-flavored sugar-milk when I was trying to write a paper at 3 AM, and second of all, I didn't want the calories or hunger spike that came with adding stuff to my coffee. Eventually I got more "into" coffee and now I buy whole beans from a local roastery and grind some fresh each morning to brew in my French press. Coffee is one of those hobbies that can get expensive quick if you let it, but even just buying, like, Eight O'Clock whole beans at the grocery store is a step up from your Folgers/similar big-name can-o-grounds.

Yep, I think its time for me to purchase a grinder and start griding my own coffee.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited January 2021
    French pressed coffee with freshly ground coffee is really good.

ETA. I have the double walled stainless maker because I broke the glass French press twice. And if you get a grinder, be sure it is a burr grinder.