I'm 18, moving out, and need advice before I tell my parents

Options

Replies

• MamaKatel
    Options
    Heres my advice....

Stay at home with mom and dad while you go to college. I know they have rules and you want to be independent and that can be a drag. But living on your own gets expensive. Even if you have it all figured out on paper - theres always stuff that pops up that isnt accounted for. In my experience, it seems that most people who got apartments during college ended up dropping out and not going back until later. (ME!) Is living on campus on option? Dont be in such a rush to grow up. You have the rest of your life to pay bills and clean house.

I completely agree!
  • KariAmbriz
    KariAmbriz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My advice is also to stay with your parents while in school. The ONLY way you will be able to change your dependency status before age 24 is if you get married/have a baby. Which you don't want to do.

If you do choose to move out tell your parents way in advance so they have time to prepare and make sure you have enough savings for six months of expenses in case of unemployment. Also make sure you make 3x's your rent/bills in income that way you know you can afford your bills. You should make more than that just for little extra's like going out to eat, to the movies, getting new clothes etc....
  • AshjMusik
    AshjMusik Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Talk to them & see what they have to say. Maybe a business plan if sorts.. Lay out your goals & current assets, & ur plan if action. Then express the feelings behind it, let your passion show too! Of course make sure to show your gratitude & respect... & with some time to think & haggle, they may even help you get on your feet! Good luck! 
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

THIS!! I think it's much more accepted nowdays. I think a lot of people are now actually living with them until they get in serious relationships or even married.
    I've seen entire communities work that way.
    Yeah I stayed at home till I was 23. Not uncommon for an Asian family.

Yeah my bf just moved out of his parents house and he turns 24 in Nov. We just moved in together which is why he moved out.....

but also about the financial aid thing... his parents don't make much money but they "aren't poor enough" to receive federal money for his school, so he's only taken 1 semester of college. thankfully he becomes independent in a few months, so he will be able to receive it....and he also has ALWAYS paid for everything on his own, but they still considered him dependent.

I say, if you want to move out then it's your decision. Your parents will understand..... all parents know it comes one day! And I'm sure if something happened down the road (cuz hey, life happens!) where you needed to go back with your family, they would take you back in!
  • Shae3891
    Shae3891 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what advice that I have as to how to tell your parents other than explaining that because they raised you the way they did for the last 18 years, you are indiependant and strong enough to be on your own. However I work in a financial aid office at an university and want to make sure you know that regardless of if you live on your own, until you are 24 the federal government considers you a dependant for FA purposes and will still require your parents taxes for consideration in how much aid you'll recieve. I am sure this is not the only reason you want to be on your own or the only money you are counting on to do it but I have seen so many students be disappointed when we require thier parents info so I thought I'd share in effort to help prepare you.I would contact the FA office of the school(s) you plan to attend to make sure you understand their policies correctly before you make a big decision. other than that, good luck :) I hope I have not been a downer :(
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Car insurance sounds incredibly cheap for an 18 year old. Is that your own policy? Is the cell phone your own, or part of a family plan? Car insurance would probably go up if you move out of your parents' house, just something to think about.

The car insurance is under me and my dad's name, and it's just liability insurance. I don't think my dad will kick me off the plan as long as i pay for it haha.

Cell phone is part of a family, but I'm changing to cricket wireless as soon as my contract expires, and that's $35 a month

I was not able to cut off my kids from my insurance until they could prove they had their own insurance. This was even when they lived in different states. So your parents may not be able to cut you off insurance.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    Car insurance sounds incredibly cheap for an 18 year old. Is that your own policy? Is the cell phone your own, or part of a family plan? Car insurance would probably go up if you move out of your parents' house, just something to think about.

The car insurance is under me and my dad's name, and it's just liability insurance. I don't think my dad will kick me off the plan as long as i pay for it haha.

Cell phone is part of a family, but I'm changing to cricket wireless as soon as my contract expires, and that's $35 a month

I was not able to cut off my kids from my insurance until they could prove they had their own insurance. This was even when they lived in different states. So your parents may not be able to cut you off insurance.

Really!? I hope that's the case because car insurance going up would be the only thing stopping me from moving otu.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    This got me thinking and I don't know anyone who has lived with friends where it did not end on bad terms.

My cousin and i shared a place for a few months...we ended up not talking for 6 months afterwards and it took a lot for me to forgive her(her and her boyfriend up and moved out one day and stuck me and my boyfriend with the bills)

My sister lived with a few of her friends...ended up getting evicted 'cause nobody ever had their full share of the bills

My friend danielle got a place with her friend when they were going to college in Chicago, her friend never had her full share of the bills and was a pig and just awful to live with.

My friend erica rented a place from her parents and had a few friends move in to share the bills...they destroyed the place and left a ton of holes in the walls and she ended up having to move back in with her parents and fixing up the place she had rented.

So yeah, you might think your friends will be fine to live with but i'd really give it some serious thought 'cause it's no fun dealing with the aftermath
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    I'm not sure what advice that I have as to how to tell your parents other than explaining that because they raised you the way they did for the last 18 years, you are indiependant and strong enough to be on your own. However I work in a financial aid office at an university and want to make sure you know that regardless of if you live on your own, until you are 24 the federal government considers you a dependant for FA purposes and will still require your parents taxes for consideration in how much aid you'll recieve. I am sure this is not the only reason you want to be on your own or the only money you are counting on to do it but I have seen so many students be disappointed when we require thier parents info so I thought I'd share in effort to help prepare you.I would contact the FA office of the school(s) you plan to attend to make sure you understand their policies correctly before you make a big decision. other than that, good luck :) I hope I have not been a downer :(

Since you work there, can you explain to me why it's so corrupt? Why aren't my legal guardians being taken into account, financially? Why are they using my step dad's income and not my Fathers? Why does my family have 6 people in it, lives on an income that should support around 4, and yet we still get nothing?

I am p.oed about financial aid. SO. P.O-ED.

It's not your fault of course, haha I am just venting -.-
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options

Since you work there, can you explain to me why it's so corrupt? Why aren't my legal guardians being taken into account, financially? Why are they using my step dad's income and not my Fathers? Why does my family have 6 people in it, lives on an income that should support around 4, and yet we still get nothing?

I am p.oed about financial aid. SO. P.O-ED.

It's not your fault of course, haha I am just venting -.-
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I moved out when I was 17.

The only thing you should think about with the financial aid is that you are still considered dependant in most states until you're 24. Which means it doesn't matter if you live with them or not.

My parents moved me out when I was 17. Said they could wait a moment longer.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As far as financial aid and your parents. I'm surprised you don't have to include both. Both your mom and step-dad and your bio-dad.

Who pays or covers your health and dental ins?
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

not everyone has that stuff. it's not really needed for many people, we just pay for doctor visits if we get really, really sick

unless the OP is lucky enough to have insurance!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    As far as financial aid and your parents. I'm surprised you don't have to include both. Both your mom and step-dad and your bio-dad.

lol i'm sorry but do you live in america? the land where the majority of people don't have health nor dental insurance..
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You're more than capable of doing whatever you want. But here's an anecdote from my personal experience.

I moved out at 19. I got a job working full/part-time. I lived with roommates. I was going to college full time. Sure, I made enough money on paper, but that doesn't cut it.

And it is decidedly NOT easy to work and go to college, especially if you're having to support yourself. You may be in class for only 12 hours a week, but you have homework and papers to do. You're talking about working two part-time jobs AND going to college. That's difficult.

It's more stressful than you can imagine. Bills, papers, scheduling.

And if you really like your friends and if you want to remain friends with them, don't live with them. Don't mingle money/bills/rent with them. Nothing ruins relationships faster than being roommates.

When you move out, I think you can still be covered under your parents' health insurance until you are 23 or until you get married as long as you are a full-time student.

All and all, I would recommend NOT moving out until you're done with school. Yeah, it kinda cramps your style but the safety net is far more helpful than you can even begin to imagine right now.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My advice is to save as much money as you can. It's a good idea to have at least three months worth of bill money in savings at all times. I wish I had done that because right now I'm in a huge financial hole.

Good luck with your newly found independence. I was forced into it after my first year of college after my mom died, so I didn't have the advantage of planning and saving. Make sure to discuss everything with your parents. They know what it's like to be young and independent and they may think of issues you wouldn't even consider.
  • kristlynngirl
    kristlynngirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Other than living on campus when I was in college, I was home until this past April --- I'm 27 and had gotten engaged to be married. I knew I didn't want to give up my lifestyle of being able to drive a nice car, have nice things, go out with my friends before I had a job where I made enough money to still do those things plus put a roof over my head. I didn't want to try and make ends meet only making $10 or $12 an hour all on my own. I crunched the numbers and waited until I had a career where I didn't have to worry about a pay cut or losing my job (I got laid off once - God forbid something like THAT happen to you while you're trying to pay for college and rent/utilities/etc too).

Unexpected things happen. Cars blow up. You can get sick. You can rack up huge credit card bills paying these emergencies off.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    As mum of two, one who moved out at 18 to go to university and another who will almost certainly move out just before turning 19, also to go to university, I would strongly encourage you to talk to all your parents, including your stepfather about moving out. They know you will move out some day, but involving them in the decision and discussion will show your maturity and keep them involved in your life. As parents, we have been there and done and, believe it or not, may have some useful advice to give. Or maybe access to a truck to help you move, or a set of old pots and pans to help you get started. Either way, good luck and I hope everything works out well.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Just... talk to your parents. Making all these plans to do something prior to talking to your very good, reasonable, wonderful parents is what would p*ss me off as a mom. I would imagine they'd be more receptive the idea if you approached it as "I've been thinking about moving out with a couple of friends, but would love your thoughts on the topic." And have all your facts. Think through everything you need to budget for with their input. The may be delighted you want to leave

Rent, heat water, etc... is just the beginning. Here is a snapshot of what "adults" take into consideration and may or may not apply to you (most will not, but it's a good budgeting worksheet):

Payroll Taxes
    Other income deductions
    Rent or Mortgage
    2nd Mortgage or Home Equity Loan
    Property Taxes
    Personal Loan
    Water
    Garbage
    Gas & Electric
    Auto Insurance
    Auto repairs
    Food & Groceries (not dining out)
    Clothing (necessary)
    Telephone (not mobile phone)
    Home or Renters Insurance
    Healthcare or Insurance Costs
    Dental Care or Insurance Costs
    Life Insurance Costs
    Student Loans
    Home Repairs
    Home supplies
    Dry cleaning
    Laundry
    Investment Real Estate Expenses
    Business Income Expenses
    Childcare (daycare & babysitters)
    Child & Baby Expenses
    Other dependent expenses
    Total Necessary Expenses

Discretionary Expenses:
    Credit Card Bills
    Auto Loan (s)
    Gasoline
    Intoxalock
    Cable or Satellite TV
    Mobile Phone (s)
    Home Improvement
    Home Security
    Garden Supplies
    Food, Beverages & Entertainment
    Travel & Vacation
    Pets, Pet Care and Pet Food
    Clothing (above what's needed)
    Internet Access
    Computer Costs
    Gym membership
    Total Discretionary Expenses

Investment Spending:
    401K, 403B deposits
    IRA deposits
    Employee Stock Plans
    Brokerage Deposits
    Other
    Total Investment Spending
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I moved out when I was 17.

The only thing you should think about with the financial aid is that you are still considered dependant in most states until you're 24. Which means it doesn't matter if you live with them or not.

My parents moved me out when I was 17. Said they could wait a moment longer.

Need a place to stay? :laugh: