Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Fitness and Exercise
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Stationary bike help

33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 571 Member Member Posts: 571 Member
I am looking to replace my stationary bike. The one I have now is a somewhat ancient hand me down and not very comfortable with low handlebars, so I want something that I can lean on my forearms without being totally bent over.
I was looking at the Schwinn 130 upright bike, but was also wondering about getting one of the belt driven flyweel type bikes, like the Pyhigh seems to have pretty good reviews. But since I am not willing to pay Peleton dollars for one, wondering how the quality would be in the lower ($500 -600 ish) price range.
Due to lockdown here it is impossible for me to try one and I have never rode a spin type bike before, so looking for advice/experience from anyone who has switched from a regular stationary bike to one of the spin type. If they liked it better, worse, are they more maintenance, noisier etc. I don't really do much outdoor biking, I kayak in the summer, so that isn't a consideration for training or anything.
Also if anyone has an upright or spin type bikes in that price range that you can recommend. I am 5'10 btw.
«1

Replies

  • ClaireBri74ClaireBri74 Member, Premium Posts: 84 Member Member, Premium Posts: 84 Member
    Apologies to start as I have everything in KG rather than pound. Multiple by 2.2 to get pounds :)

    HI - I have a life fitness IC3 (also branded as matrix) - it's a studio bike and I couldn't afford new so bought a gyms used bike. I'm really pleased with it. I have an 18kg fly wheel and that's at the front. When doing jumps in classes I do sometimes lift the front of the bike.

    When I got the bike I was around 110 kg and i'm now 96 kg - I have found i lifted more as I got lighter but I've also got a lot fitter.

    I spin most day just done a 30 minute class and burnt a rather nice 400 calories.

    I probably wouldn't buy the Schwinn 130 as that is an exercise bike rather than a spin bike. In the schwinn range look at more this style
    https://global.schwinnfitness.com/en/schwinn-indoor-cycling-bikes

    Its a completely different design.

    If looking to spin check out
    1. The fly wheel weight
    2. The handle bars, you need lots of different positions
    3. Has the pedal got a spd or other cleat fitting on one side and cage on the other

    The reason on the pedal is in my opinion if the pedal is cage / cleat its designed for standing rather than a plastic pedal.

    When I started last June an upright exercise bike would have been fine but by November I'd have out grown it fitness wise.

    I just did a quick google and not sure where you are based but found this site with used bikes. They sort of fall in your price range and have some decent spin bikes.

    https://www.globalfitness.com/collections/used-spinner-bikes?tab=products&sort_by=price&page=1

    But I would say don't be afraid of a used spin bike, gyms get them on contract for so many years and then they are sold on.

    Hope this is of some help :)
  • tbilly20tbilly20 Member Posts: 154 Member Member Posts: 154 Member
    A flywheel bike is going to be very different from an exercise bike. If you are used to the upright positioning an exercise bike affords, you may find the “spin” bike to be uncomfortable. In addition to a more aggressive position, the workout is also drastically different. On the exercise bike, a magnetic brake can vary the resistance quite quickly and change your intensity to match a console program. The spin bike relies on you to vary your cadence and power to mix up the intensity.

    If you want a piece of equipment to hop on for 30 minutes a day and offer some light cardio in an upright position, the Schiwinn 130 or 170 will accomplish this task. On the other hand, if you are looking for a more strenuous exercise, a “spin” bike will leave you drenched in sweat during the right workouts.

    Horizon and Schwinn both make quality versions of the “spin” system. The Pyhigh bike would not be on my list in that category.
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 571 Member Member Posts: 571 Member
    Thanks these comments have been really helpful. I am actually a runner "at heart" but had to grudgingly switch over to the bike because my knee is shot. I have been using a basic bike from probably the 70's to see if I would stick with it, and was going to just replace it with a newer model. But I really miss the feeling I get from the intensity of running, and it seems like a spin bike might be my best option for replicating that. Maybe I will actually learn to like my bike workouts after all. :)
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 2,432 Member Member Posts: 2,432 Member
    Since you mentioned Peloton, Echelon has a bike much closer to your price point. It's similar to Peloton, just more affordable, with classes for an interactive experience.

    You could also get a used road bike, a smart bike trainer (lower end trainer) and set up Zwift.

    Not sure what the price point is on NordicTrack, but they also have a spin bike with interactive classes.

    Knowing, though, you want comfort, I'd look at an Echo Rogue. It's an Assault Bike type of bike. It's around $700, but it's a great, great product and will last forever. Plus, the seat is comfortable. It has arms, so you get more of a full body workout than just spinning.
    edited February 1
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 571 Member Member Posts: 571 Member
    Since you mentioned Peloton, Echelon has a bike much closer to your price point. It's similar to Peloton, just more affordable, with classes for an interactive experience.

    You could also get a used road bike, a smart bike trainer (lower end trainer) and set up Zwift.

    Not sure what the price point is on NordicTrack, but they also have a spin bike with interactive classes.

    Knowing, though, you want comfort, I'd look at an Echo Rogue. It's an Assault Bike type of bike. It's around $700, but it's a great, great product and will last forever. Plus, the seat is comfortable. It has arms, so you get more of a full body workout than just spinning.

    Hmm they have the Echelon connect online at Walmart for $699. The only thing is it says the flywheel is 7 kg, not sure if that would be heavy enough? I don't think I would use the classes anyway, I'm not really looking for interactive, just a good reliable bike.

    I'll think about the Echo Rogue, it looks odd. :) I usually do part of my bike workout with dumbbells anyway.

    Thanks, more to think about!
  • pippaspippas Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    Hi. I was a runner too but a bad back put me out that game almost 3 years ago. In the interim my exercise consisted of walking and Pilates. Recently we invested in a Nordic track s151 I think it’s called. It’s higher than your price point you had mentioned but it’s fabulous. My hubby is a cyclist anyway so he wanted something like this. I’ve not sat on a bike for years but in the 2 months we’ve had it I’ve really enjoyed the classes. It’s interactive and there is lots to choose from. I’ve really seen the difference in my spinning from the start and notice improvements weekly. I now get the same runners high if you like which I’ve been missing out on for so long. Not sure if they do one at a lower price point sorry so might be worth checking. The point of my post was more to say I was reluctant to try spin but I honestly wish I had done it years ago.
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 571 Member Member Posts: 571 Member
    pippas wrote: »
    Hi. I was a runner too but a bad back put me out that game almost 3 years ago. In the interim my exercise consisted of walking and Pilates. Recently we invested in a Nordic track s151 I think it’s called. It’s higher than your price point you had mentioned but it’s fabulous. My hubby is a cyclist anyway so he wanted something like this. I’ve not sat on a bike for years but in the 2 months we’ve had it I’ve really enjoyed the classes. It’s interactive and there is lots to choose from. I’ve really seen the difference in my spinning from the start and notice improvements weekly. I now get the same runners high if you like which I’ve been missing out on for so long. Not sure if they do one at a lower price point sorry so might be worth checking. The point of my post was more to say I was reluctant to try spin but I honestly wish I had done it years ago.

    This is perfect - I am definitely going to go the spin bike route after these comments. So glad I posted here I am excited to get one now. I'll look into the Nordic track as well.
  • sgt1372sgt1372 Member Posts: 3,852 Member Member Posts: 3,852 Member
    IMO, a Concept2 rower would be a better option than a spin bike but the cost for a new one would exceed your price limit but you might be able to pick up a used one for near $500-600 but it will probably be an earlier, obsolete model.

    I have an excellent LeMond RevMaster Pro that cost me more than my Concept2 rower but I never use it because I am not a bicyclist at heart, find "riding" it boring and too one dimensional, provifing only a leg workout

    A Concept2 rower, on the other hand, will orovide you w/a full (upper and lower) body workout and low impact workout that you can do w/as little or as much intensity as you like.

    Nothing better in the form of home workout equipment IMO.
  • ClaireBri74ClaireBri74 Member, Premium Posts: 84 Member Member, Premium Posts: 84 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I have an excellent LeMond RevMaster Pro that cost me more than my Concept2 rower but I never use it because I am not a bicyclist at heart, find "riding" it boring and too one dimensional, provifing only a leg workout

    I love how we are all different :)

    Although I hated indoor cycling I did buy a spin bike as I liked the calorie burn but had never enjoyed a spin class. When it arrived I tried loads of different apps to follow a class. Then I found the trip(Les Mills on Demand). OMG I work out with that. Upper and lower body.

    It takes you on a strange journey with a 'road' through weird worlds. You go up and down (change resistance), fast / slow (move legs more) and then on windy and upside down bits (its hard to explain). I get off with a full body work out. Legs are obvious but also abbs, shoulders, Biceps and a bit of triceps. This all the changes in you body position and turning with the road I started to work everything :)

    I totally agree it was boring and I was only working legs and heart then I found that work out. It really changed my perspective of a bike. It is each for their own but if you feel inclined take a free trial of the Les Mills app and try it - it may change your view.
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    A Concept2 rower, on the other hand, will provide you w/a full (upper and lower) body workout and low impact workout that you can do w/as little or as much intensity as you like.

    I like a concept 2 - Love the noise and beating the other boats on the screen :D
  • sgt1372sgt1372 Member Posts: 3,852 Member Member Posts: 3,852 Member
    OBTW, OP, if you insist on buying a spin bike, I just "found" a used Lemond RevMasterPro offered for just $550 on Craigslist in my area.

    See: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/oakland-lemond-revmaster-pro-spin-bike/7267803985.html

    It's worth a lot more but if you can get one for this price it is the BEST spin bike that you can buy at almost any price. Same applies to the Concept 2 rower.

    The reason you see them both in gyms is because they are extremely well built, reliable and require little maintenance/repair even when subjected to the kind of abuse that they'd get in a gym.

    PS: If the listing above has expired or been deleted, just Google "Lemond Revmaster Pro" or take a look that the following webpage to see what I'm talking about:

    https://www.thefitnessoutlet.com/lemond-revmaster-pro/
    edited February 2
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 571 Member Member Posts: 571 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    OBTW, OP, if you insist on buying a spin bike, I just "found" a used Lemond RevMasterPro offered for just $550 on Craigslist in my area.

    See: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/oakland-lemond-revmaster-pro-spin-bike/7267803985.html

    It's worth a lot more but if you can get one for this price it is the BEST spin bike that you can buy at almost any price. Same applies to the Concept 2 rower.

    The reason you see them both in gyms is because they are extremely well built, reliable and require little maintenance/repair even when subjected to the kind of abuse that they'd get in a gym.

    PS: If the listing above has expired or been deleted, just Google "Lemond Revmaster Pro" or take a look that the following webpage to see what I'm talking about:

    https://www.thefitnessoutlet.com/lemond-revmaster-pro/

    Thanks but I am in Canada. I have been looking online here but everyone with a used one seems to want close to full price. Still looking at my options.
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 2,432 Member Member Posts: 2,432 Member
    If you're going the spin bike route, I think you can stay in your price range. Sunny Fitness and others have nice rated spin bikes with tablet holders under $700. CardioCast is an app that used to be called CycleCast. It's like Peloton but made for any bike. 100s of classes.
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 571 Member Member Posts: 571 Member
    If you're going the spin bike route, I think you can stay in your price range. Sunny Fitness and others have nice rated spin bikes with tablet holders under $700. CardioCast is an app that used to be called CycleCast. It's like Peloton but made for any bike. 100s of classes.

    Yeah I have seen quite a few - just sorting through the reviews and also looking at stock and delivery. I like the Schwinn IC3 and the Echelon connect sport - just not sure if I want to go with the manual resistance on the Schwinn, or the lighter flywheel on the Echelon. From what I have been reading the lighter flywheel isn't a huge issue for the lower model Echelon every review I have read is positive, and I am a beginner so maybe I am overthinking it. The Schwinn IC4 is perfect but not sure if I can talk the man into stretching the budget for that one. :)
  • ClaireBri74ClaireBri74 Member, Premium Posts: 84 Member Member, Premium Posts: 84 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    just not sure if I want to go with the manual resistance on the Schwinn

    Schwinn are good bikes, I have manual resistance I believe (where you turn the knob yourself) and its fine. Gives me really good control :)
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 2,432 Member Member Posts: 2,432 Member
    I'm not a personal fan of Schwinn. Schwinn has a good residual reputation that isn't deserved any longer. I own a Schwinn AD Pro bike -- top of the line. The petals broke within the crankshaft because of cheap metal they used. It took 3 months to get it fixed -- because their engineering drawings had the replacement petals reversed. After being sent the wrong petals twice, I had to point out to them that their schematic drawings were wrong (and have since been corrected). But as you can tell, I had to go through a lot to get my bike, under warranty, fixed. Their customer service is horrific.

    Nautilus owns Schwinn Fitness. It's the same company that owns Bowflex -- another brand that I've had issues getting fixed and quality issues with.

    I'd get a Sole SB 700 (around $700) before I'd get a Schwinn. Sole has a great reputation for customer service.
    edited February 3
  • ClaireBri74ClaireBri74 Member, Premium Posts: 84 Member Member, Premium Posts: 84 Member
    Unfortunately you only can judge when you have an issue. Glad you are sorted now though Mike and can totally understand you view of them.

    Pedal was something I was checking based on my weight. If they break on a 'decent' brand totally wouldn't buy their products.

    I retract my Schwinn is good bikes statement above :)
  • NorthCascadesNorthCascades Member Posts: 10,214 Member Member Posts: 10,214 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Thanks these comments have been really helpful. I am actually a runner "at heart" but had to grudgingly switch over to the bike because my knee is shot. I have been using a basic bike from probably the 70's to see if I would stick with it, and was going to just replace it with a newer model. But I really miss the feeling I get from the intensity of running, and it seems like a spin bike might be my best option for replicating that. Maybe I will actually learn to like my bike workouts after all. :)

    Ride hills at race pace outdoors.
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 571 Member Member Posts: 571 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Thanks these comments have been really helpful. I am actually a runner "at heart" but had to grudgingly switch over to the bike because my knee is shot. I have been using a basic bike from probably the 70's to see if I would stick with it, and was going to just replace it with a newer model. But I really miss the feeling I get from the intensity of running, and it seems like a spin bike might be my best option for replicating that. Maybe I will actually learn to like my bike workouts after all. :)

    Ride hills at race pace outdoors.

    Except - I am looking for an indoor bike.

    It's -15 here today with the wind chill. I will walk my dogs but nothing would get me outside on a bike in this weather.
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 2,432 Member Member Posts: 2,432 Member
    Unfortunately you only can judge when you have an issue. Glad you are sorted now though Mike and can totally understand you view of them.

    Pedal was something I was checking based on my weight. If they break on a 'decent' brand totally wouldn't buy their products.

    I retract my Schwinn is good bikes statement above :)

    I like my bike a lot, but if they break, it's a miserable experience getting them fixed. It might be different for you. Many love their MaxTrainers and other Bowflex products. I've just experienced bad customer service -- I do think their products can be good, though.
    edited February 3
  • sgt1372sgt1372 Member Posts: 3,852 Member Member Posts: 3,852 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    OBTW, OP, if you insist on buying a spin bike, I just "found" a used Lemond RevMasterPro offered for just $550 on Craigslist in my area.

    See: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/oakland-lemond-revmaster-pro-spin-bike/7267803985.html

    It's worth a lot more but if you can get one for this price it is the BEST spin bike that you can buy at almost any price. Same applies to the Concept 2 rower.

    The reason you see them both in gyms is because they are extremely well built, reliable and require little maintenance/repair even when subjected to the kind of abuse that they'd get in a gym.

    PS: If the listing above has expired or been deleted, just Google "Lemond Revmaster Pro" or take a look that the following webpage to see what I'm talking about:

    https://www.thefitnessoutlet.com/lemond-revmaster-pro/

    Thanks but I am in Canada. I have been looking online here but everyone with a used one seems to want close to full price. Still looking at my options.

    That's because the Concept2 rower and Lemond RevMasterPro spin bike are in high demand but deals do pop up.

    The backlog of Concept2 orders doesn't help.

    You just have to keep looking and be ready to grab one right away if it does.

    Good luck!
Sign In or Register to comment.