Healthy lunch ideas?

2»

Replies

• sailor789
    sailor789 Posts: 33 Member
    tuna w/triscuits and green beans
    sweet potato with diced chicken cooked with tomato paste and onions scooped on top of the potato
    black bean sandwich w/tomato
    avocado/chickpea hummus with veggies
    banana, blueberry, carrots, spinach shake
    try to eat between 250-350 cals
    clean, green eating
    DASH diet
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited February 2021
    My typical lunch is left overs from the night before... So today it's a broiled Hot Italian sausage (~175 calories, with onions (10 calories), cheddar cheese (100 Cals), mustard, a touch of horseradish mayo (40 Cals cause it's really strongly flavored), in a Josephs Low Carb Pita (50 calories). Always extremely satisfying!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    In the cooler months I make a crockpot full of soup on Sunday and then have it every day for lunch with a side of protein (can of tuna, leftovers from night before, etc). In the warmer months I make a huge salad on Sunday and do the same thing.
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    I love breakfast but am rarely hungry in the mornings, so I'll usually just have a cup of coffee and maybe a piece of fruit, then have a 'brunch' lunch so I can have my breakfast foods :) Yogurt parfaits, omelets, eggs and toast with avocado, breakfast salad, eggs, oatmeal and spinach bowl. On weekends I do a real brunch - usually a waffle or some toast, eggs, and fruit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    A protein, a starch, and a vegetable.

Today that is leftover potatoes and chicken with tahini sauce, and broccoli made fresh.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,367 Member
    Poobah1972 wrote: »
    My typical lunch is left overs from the night before... So today it's a broiled Hot Italian sausage (~175 calories, with onions (10 calories), cheddar cheese (100 Cals), mustard, a touch of horseradish mayo (40 Cals cause it's really strongly flavored), in a Josephs Low Carb Pita (50 calories). Always extremely satisfying!

I may have to look into those pitas... I've been making meals that include a low carb Tortilla that claims 70 calories but is actually 120 once I add back in the calories for the 12g of fiber they deducted, lol.

I make Quesadilla type sandwiches out of them... Deli meat, cheese and tomato and onion, eggs, baco and cheese, etc... Would the Joseph's work for that? I really need just enough tortilla/wrap to make them hand edible, my creations are always soiling out the borders and that's fine as long as they maintain integrity
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member

I may have to look into those pitas... I've been making meals that include a low carb Tortilla that claims 70 calories but is actually 120 once I add back in the calories for the 12g of fiber they deducted, lol.

I make Quesadilla type sandwiches out of them... Deli meat, cheese and tomato and onion, eggs, baco and cheese, etc... Would the Joseph's work for that? I really need just enough tortilla/wrap to make them hand edible, my creations are always soiling out the borders and that's fine as long as they maintain integrity

They took out the calories from the fiber because your body can't actually access those - you get 70 usable calories out of that tortilla and the rest just vibes its way through your system.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited February 2021

Um... I've definately always counted Total Carbs - Fiber - Sugar Alcohols = Net Carbs

Although I am aware that soluble fiber can be counted as having 2 calories per gram.... Insoluble fiber can be counted as 0.

Also I believe that the breakdown of soluble fiber in the guts by bacteria, produces short fatty chains and isn't completely comparable to Carbs or sugar... Although I'm not up to snuff on this stuff.

Same with Sugar Alcohols, not all of them are created equally and they can very widely...

In this area I keep it real simple. (Got enough to concentrate on... lol)

PS. Josephs makes excellent Lavash(Sp) Bread as well and can be used in multiple ways, from making crackers to pizza's and off course amazing wraps. And I would say hell yea, Josephs rock.. I sometimes open the mini-pita's up and stuff them and other times i just fold it around whatever I'm eating.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Lentil soup that I make from orange lentils, broth, and various spices. A carton of less-sugar Chobani nonfat greek yogurt with ~15-20 g walnuts, along with an apple. Open face, no-sugar-added peanut butter & banana sandwich with a mug of broth. Various veggies with 2 TBSP of hummus and a carton of non-fat greek yogurt (fage is my current favorite) and an apple. It's been so cold here this month that I am gravitating toward hot food.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,367 Member

They took out the calories from the fiber because your body can't actually access those - you get 70 usable calories out of that tortilla and the rest just vibes its way through your system.

Right, but other foods I eat don't count their calories that way as far as I can tell and I find it easier (or more consistent) to account for the fiber. For example the bread I eat occasionally definitely includes its 2 grams of fiber in the calorie count.