February 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Those of you with snowshoes living in snow country should "enjoy" a run wearing the snowshoes. We used to run in snowshoes at Fort Drum, NY and it was a blast. Only rule one needs to remember is "don't back up."
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo What a lovely tribute to your dad.

@marisap2010 Happy Birthday!

@summerskier I see skunks pretty regularly. One time when I got home there was one in my driveway. I just try not to startle them. I can usually tell it's a skunk and not a cat from a distance.  Skunks have a very distinctive waddle and they are always busy. Cats are graceful when they run across the road,  but they also like to loiter and sometimes they just sit in the middle of the street.  I smelled skunk pretty strong this morning about a half a block from the house. I think the neighbor's dogs got sprayed because when I came home it still smelled just as strong. 

Welcome to all the new members!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Those of you with snowshoes living in snow country should "enjoy" a run wearing the snowshoes. We used to run in snowshoes at Fort Drum, NY and it was a blast. Only rule one needs to remember is "don't back up."

@Tramboman I live in Syracuse, so not too far from Fort Drum. I drive through that area all the time to get to the Adirondacks. The amount of snow they get up there in the north country compared to here is insane. I have running snowshoes but haven't done much actual running in them. It's hard work! I signed up for a snowshoe 5k a couple of years ago but there wasn't enough snow so it became a trail run - and I haven't tried it again since.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Guys, they are currently predicting a 70% chance of snow here in middle Ga on the day of my half marathon. If it looks like that is going to be correct, I’m going to need some help figuring out how to dress for that, seeing as we only get snow here every few years, and I have never run in it! 😬

Layers! Half marathon is a long time to be cold if you're underdressed. Consider keeping an extra layer (hat, shirt/jacket) with you in a pack, and if you don't need it during the race, you have it when you finish - instead of standing in line at the bag deposit freezing. Basics for me in winter are 2 pairs of running tights, tank top/vest, long-sleeved shirt, jacket, 1 buff around neck, one folded like a headband to cover ears, gloves. I have different versions of all of those depending on temperature, and at some point upgrade to a hat or add it over the headband. I'd imagine your roads would be clear, but if slippery just know that it's slowing everyone down. Shorter strides, arms out for balance.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    Sorry I missed your birthday @marisap2010! Hope you had a great day!
    Snow in GA?!! That is pretty unusual. My twin brother lives in Peachtree City. Yes, layers is the key. But I never know what to do with the shedded items. In typical real-life, organized races, I usually shed the clothes at the start line and they are donated. But for a self-supported race, I guess you can leave them on the side of the road and possibly return for them later, or someone may just pick them up and solve the problem for you :D

Another 5 miles on the treadmill this morning.

exercise.png
  • Tramboman
    Options
    Guys, they are currently predicting a 70% chance of snow here in middle Ga on the day of my half marathon. If it looks like that is going to be correct, I’m going to need some help figuring out how to dress for that, seeing as we only get snow here every few years, and I have never run in it! 😬

Layers! Half marathon is a long time to be cold if you're underdressed. Consider keeping an extra layer (hat, shirt/jacket) with you in a pack, and if you don't need it during the race, you have it when you finish - instead of standing in line at the bag deposit freezing. Basics for me in winter are 2 pairs of running tights, tank top/vest, long-sleeved shirt, jacket, 1 buff around neck, one folded like a headband to cover ears, gloves. I have different versions of all of those depending on temperature, and at some point upgrade to a hat or add it over the headband. I'd imagine your roads would be clear, but if slippery just know that it's slowing everyone down. Shorter strides, arms out for balance.

...and those chemical packet handwarmers to slip into your gloves...
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @marisap2010 what are the temps supposed to be? What's your hourly forecast? If it's actively snowing or has just snowed my concern would be footing and what to wear for shoes more than anything else. @polskagirl01 has some good tips but I would recommend not going TOO overboard if you can't easily shed layers. A throwaway layer is good if it's an option.

@Tramboman good job on your fastest 6k of the year!

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    02/01/21 :::: 2.1 :::: 2.1
    02/02/21 :::: 1.6 :::: 3.6
    02/03/21 :::: 5.0 :::: 8.7
    02/04/21 :::: 2.9 :::: 11.5

Treadmill warmup before strength training today. I didn't quite get to 3 miles in the time I had.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    Great run in those temperature, or really in any temperatures @Tramboman ! Congrats on the fast 6K.
  • Tramboman
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    8k this morning. Was a faster 8k than intended despite the wind I was battling. It was a a great run though. Cool morning, will be hot today though. Felt great. Calf was a little tight at the end but was much better with some stretching.

2 weeks and 2 days to go till HM!

You will CRUSH your half!!!!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,786 Member
    Options
    I love those little handwarmers @Tramboman Earlier this year I injured my finger and it would go completely numb whenever it got the slightest bit cold. I lived with a handwarmer on it. I did not know then it was an injury and would recover. I love they last 12 hrs so I could use them to run in my mitten and then also later at the barn to warm Bandit's bit and my finger.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Great run @Avidkeo ! You're going to do great in the HM!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @SummerSkier Interesting about your HR. I really didn't pay attention to a difference after a long run, but know, overall, mine went down when I was running. (I'm 61 years old.)
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    February Goal: Hike/Run the "B's" *

2/1 off
    2/2 3.50 Cote D'Ivoire and Cape Verde Islands
    2/3 off
    2/4 3.35 Cambodia

Total 6.85
    @shanaber I thought you ( and Hobbes the Vizsla ) would enjoy this Parkour agility video (shared by my DH on who's news feed it appeared)
    exercise.png

*So, my 2021 resolution is to hike/run all 193 (or 195 depending on your source) countries of the world this year. This could be difficult, since I don’t have a passport. But YouTube to the rescue! I have been using the site to take train “trips” recently, and have found them strangely motivating. Why not the world?