Is it okay to have a cheat day once per week?

So I don’t work out and have a sedentary job. I aim to eat around 1200-1500 calories per day. For the past few months, I have one day out of the week where I eat everything I want. I’ve maintained my weight loss for the past 2-3 years. At most, I think I’ve probably gained back 10 lbs. I wear the same clothing size but you can tell that I am thicker. I’m in my mid twenties, if I keep this up, will I be obese my 30?

Replies

• ajlmfp22
    ajlmfp22 Posts: 54 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'd say figure out what your weekly caloric intake looks like and if a cheat day would you put you above your target budget range. If you find that you're consistently going over on calories for the week because of it, then I'd probably cut back on the cheating.

Personally I think a cheat day is fine but with the caveat that you plan for or around it.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Well, I think you should do whatever works for you, personally, in the long run.

If that means you need to overeat once a week, ok.

Well, for weight loss, in my opinion it is ok to eat more than what MFP has set as a goal for you whenever you want to with the caveat that you still track what you are eating and keep an eye on how many calories you are eating on average within any one week, including the calories you eat on your cheat day. - Be aware of your maintenance calories, too.

If what you eat in a week exceeds naintanance calories you cannot lose weight on it but will gain, so don't let it get there (or only around Christmas /other important holidays you follow). Otherwise, simply be aware that you will only maintain or will lose weight slower than you would have if you did not have the cheat days.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Is your cheat day because you're meeting with family / friends and eating and drinking more? Or because your calories through the week aren't sufficient so you feel hungry and blow it?

If it's due to meeting with people, I'd cut a little from each meal during the week (one clice of toast with breakfast, a smaller serving of cereal, one less potato, a smaller portion of pasta, half the amount of cheese topping on whatever, only one small scoop of icecream etc) to bank cals for the so-called cheat day.

If it's the latter, I'd spend a week or two logging my meals (if not already doing so), including the cheat day, and see how many cals I'm actually eating. I'd then look at whether I could even my week out a bit so that I'm not so hungry after a few days plus I'd look to see how I could also cut 500 hundred cals, on average, per week. I'd also be looking at WHAT I eat - am I eating foods that don't make me feel satiated? Could I eat more protein and veg and less carbs?

Why do you eat 1200-1500cals a day? What's your maintenance number? You could eat that many as an average per week - and then choose whether to just spread them out through the week or go low on some days to bank for a splurge. I've only maintained fora year, but I haven't gained any pounds back. I have continued tracking and I have continued following the number of cals that MFP suggests is how many I can eat. However, although I try to eat that many each day, due to various factors that doesn't always happen, I'm more concerned about ensuing that my weekly average is on target.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    Cheat meals turned into cheat life for me (at least food wise!) and that's how I got here in the first place. Trust me..it may be 10 pounds now..but before you know it, it may become 20...then 60...
    That's what happened when I was in my 20s, anyway, especially when I started dating! Lol Why not try eating at maintenance for a day instead just as practice?
  • danielleg0094
    danielleg0094 Posts: 38 Member
    At what weight will you be obese? How many years of adding on 3 to 5 lbs a year will it take before you're obese?

I'm around 180 & am 5'7. It's considered overweight but I hoped my height can help with how the weight is proportioned
  • danielleg0094
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    I dont feel you should have a cheat day if you are commited to losing the weigh. The only person your cheating is yourself. We work so hard to lose and when we give ourselves a cheat day that defeats the purpose of all our hard work and efforts. I dont have reward or cheat days. I do portion control and work the things I like into my menus and don't deprive myself of the things I like I just dont eat them often or in huge amounts. So its not cheating ifits part of a planned meal. If you notice on the diary there is a snack section.
    Just my opinion but I have lost 98 pounds in 2 years and I am just two pounds away from my goal weight.

But what if I want to just maintain my weight loss?
  • danielleg0094
    Well, I think you should do whatever works for you, personally, in the long run.

If that means you need to overeat once a week, ok.

Well, for weight loss, in my opinion it is ok to eat more than what MFP has set as a goal for you whenever you want to with the caveat that you still track what you are eating and keep an eye on how many calories you are eating on average within any one week, including the calories you eat on your cheat day. - Be aware of your maintenance calories, too.

If what you eat in a week exceeds naintanance calories you cannot lose weight on it but will gain, so don't let it get there (or only around Christmas /other important holidays you follow). Otherwise, simply be aware that you will only maintain or will lose weight slower than you would have if you did not have the cheat days.

I am just looking to maintain, how can I tell what my caloric weekly budget is? My daily budget is 1200, I usually have one day out of the week, aside from my cheat day, where I go over 200 calories
  • danielleg0094
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you like that one big day/meal a week, but don't want creeping gain (that will keep creeping over decades, trust me): Calorie bank. Eat a little less most days, eat a little more on one or two days. Make it balance. It works.

My daily budget is 1200, aside from my cheat day, I have one day where I go over maybe 200 cal. Is it still bad to have a cheat day?