6 inches off the stomach but only 9lbs down..

Options
hillbob1990
hillbob1990 Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi Everyone,

I'm after some advice please. I seem to be losing weight at an incredibly slow pace but with impressive inch loss from my stomach. I want to speed my weight loss up but I also don't want to stop exercising as I'm starting to really enjoy it.

Here are my stats:
start 194 lbs. Height 5ft female age 30 stomach 47 inch. Around 80 lbs to lose.
Week 1 - 6lb loss
Week 2 - 1lb gain
Week 3 - 2lb loss
Week 4 - 1.5lb loss
Week 5 -.0.5lb loss

Typically I am losing an inch off my stomach a week.

I started off eating around 1000 calories a day exercising 3 x a week ( some strength training and walks.) This has steadily improved to 4 times a week and has become much more intense a mix of cardio and strength sessions. I am hooked on exercise and I don't want to stop!

I'm working from home at the moment so not active at all really apart from planned exercise. I aim to drink 2-3 litres a day.

Okay so I feel like I have tried everything. I spent a week (week 3) upping my calories to 1400 - no change. I have tried drinking 3 litres a day and green tea after meals - no change.

I have read that this can happen for two reasons 1) I'm gaining muscle and glycogen/water weight from the used muscles. 2) my body is in a stress mode and holding weight so I should stop exercising.

Can someone please advise 1) why this is happening? 2) what I can do to speed weight loss up? 3) what I should aim to eat? 4) how much exercise I should aim to do a week?

I just want the best results in as short as time as possible.

Much appreciated.
Emily 😊

Replies

• hillbob1990
    Options
    Thank you. I am part of a weight loss group where most people are losing 2-3lbs a week and I wondered why mine was slower. So do you suggest I just keep doing what I am doing (exercising 4 days a week) maybe up my calories to 1200 a day and log my weight flunctuations? Do you anticipate that the weight loss will catch up with the fat loss at a later date?
  • hillbob1990
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Can I just also point out that the goal is to actually lose the inches and scale weight doesn't really mean much?

Absolutely! And when I look at the results in terms of inches I am doing exceptionally well. I just wonders at what point the weight would catch up. I mean if if I continued at this rate I would have a 28 inch waist and still be 2.5 stone overweight. I'm assuming the inches will slow down and the weight loss go up but just wondered when that might be.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose weight? I mean, truly. Is it the actual number on the scale you care about? Not your dress size or appearance or increased fitness? I'm not trying to be facetious, because I do understand that losing weight is a good measure of success, but you are losing size at an impressive rate. Well done! Enjoy the success. The scale change will come eventually.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You might be building muscle and it's more dense than adipose tissue. Add a couple hundred calories in mostly protein. Keep doing the workouts. Get good sleep at night. The scale will continue to go down and one day you'll notice you have lovely muscles underneath. When you started, at 5' height and a 47 inch waist, you likely lost initial inches from being less bloated. That happened with me, I lost over 2" off my waist the first week. You've lost 9 lbs. in 5 weeks, that's an average of 1.8 pounds per week and is an aggressive loss. Generally, the slower it comes off the less likely it is to come back and the less likely you'll have saggy skin. You are only at the beginning of this "journey", be patient, all the pieces will come together. Enjoy the workouts, eat more protein and trust the process.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Thank you. I am part of a weight loss group where most people are losing 2-3lbs a week and I wondered why mine was slower. So do you suggest I just keep doing what I am doing (exercising 4 days a week) maybe up my calories to 1200 a day and log my weight flunctuations? Do you anticipate that the weight loss will catch up with the fat loss at a later date?

I've been there and understand that. But, there are so many factors to consider...first how much do they currently weigh? Someone at a much higher weight is going to find the weight loss easier at first, but it will slow. Second, are they doing it in a sustainable healthy way? Sure, that weight loss sounds great at first, until suddenly you are tired all the time and your hair starts falling out.

And, in all likelihood, this will last a few months, they will decide it's too restrictive, quit, gain it back likely plus some, and next year, or in a couple years, be in the group again losing those same 2-3 lbs a week. Going slow and steady might not get you the attention and praise in the group now, but makes you more likely to not have to keep going back to it.

This was what I came to say. As Ann said, comparison is the thief of joy. Though I hate to use this overused word..this "journey" is your own and has nothing to do with them, aside from the fact that they're doing it at the same time. Hopefully this isn't some race or competition. Your weight loss per week should be about 1% of your bodyweight, max. Take care of yourself and your own health. The weight will come off slower than you'd like, but the good news is that you're getting smaller and smaller as you go. You don't just stay at your starting weight forever until you reach the goal so..there is also that. Enjoy the process and really take time to learn from it, because losing weight is really the easier part. The more difficult part is keeping it off once you get there. Thats why it's better to go slowly and adjust and fine tune your process.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Who cares?! Unless you have your weight stamped on your forehead, no one knows. And if you're fitting smaller clothing, looking the way you want and getting compliments from it, as long as you're within a good weight, it DOESN'T MATTER what the scale always shows.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Seek positive reinforcement from trying on clothes that were too small for you. Take pictures. Celebrate. Keep a record of your shrinking measurements in the MFP progress tab. Stop competing with people whose bodies are not your body. Compete only with yourself when you started. Take the weightloss tempo from a sprint to a marathon. Never have your Net calories for the day below 1200. That means taking into account your workout calories as well. Slower is better. Trust me, you don't want to lose your hair or your periods. You're only 30, be kind to your body, it has to carry you for a while yet. Good luck on your journey!
  • kerrym1980
    kerrym1980 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add to all the good advice you've been given, that if you've started exercising as well as changing your eating habits, you've probably started engaging your core (stomach muscles) more than you've done before, and this may make a difference to your waist measurement. I looked 6 months pregnant back in August due to bloating and fatigue-induced lack of exercise. I changed my diet (cut out refined sugar, ate more heathily in general, also cut out most dairy as it doesn't tend to agree with me) and started to exercise, including a load of core-strengthening stuff and, well, I no longer look 6 months pregnant. Still a bit of bloating (generally hormonal) but for the first time my core is engaged even when I'm not thinking about it. It's not muscle gain, not for ages yet, just more/better muscle usage. I don't know if that makes sense, and it's purely my experience so may not be the case for you, but it might shed some light in addition to all the above.
  • MelodyMomof2
    MelodyMomof2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    9 pounds in 5 weeks is great! I'd be more than happy with those results.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The weight loss pattern you wrote out looks just right to me. Especially considering you are a female with fluctuations related to menstruation. Just because you lost half a pound in your most recent week doesn’t mean you won’t have other weeks with 1-1.5 lb loss.