Best cheat creamy sauce?

2»

Replies

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Ooh. I've never thought to use avocado in anything other than avocado on toast!

Thanks so much to everyone for the suggestions - I've found them really helpful.

Since posting this thread, I've actually experimented with reducing some of my homemade soups into a pasta sauce. It gives a really lovely, creamy texture - it must be the effect of the starch in the blended veggies. I guess it proves that what I'm after is the texture of a cream sauce rather than the taste, which is a useful discovery on my mission of prioritising calories.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    It's not creamy but rich with ground almonds. I can't believe something so simple can be so good. You can get away with considerably less olive oil than the recipe calls for.
    https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/recipes/pesto-trapanese-recipe

I made this today. It was very good--thanks for the recipe.q2sggxa5qf9e.jpg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    Here's mine on linguine. I didn't have basel in the house but I did have some mint.
    luxaja0ndgyn.jpeg

• acpgee
    A not so decadent creamy sauce I will try tomorrow is smoked salmon carbonara. Google for recipes but for two people I plan to boil the pasta. While pasta is cooking fry off a crushed clove of garlic per person in a scant amount of butter. Remove garlic and turn off the heat on the butter in the meantime. Dice 100g of smoked salmon and beat together one egg, and one yolk Reserve a mug of starchy past water. When pasta is al dente, drain and return to pan, stirring in the egg and smoked salmon, loosening if necessary with extra pasta water.
  • acpgee
    Though a lot recipes online use grated parmesan in salmon carbonara. Hmm. Might provide this on the table.
  • acpgee
    69mpgwgo600l.jpeg
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited February 2021
    I was in the mood for something decadent. Made my lower calorie version of Alfredo sauce tonight: I had it with fettuccine (55g dry) and cubed rotisserie chicken breast (120 g).
    Total: 600 calories. Plus berry/Greek yogurt sorbet topped with granola for dessert. So filling! Total meal ~875

1/2 c/120 ml, Milk, 2% fat
    0.33 cup, Parmesian cheese
    1 c/240 ml(s), Chicken Broth
    1 tbsp, Butter
    2 tbsp, Half and half
    0.50 tbsp, Olive Oil
    0.50 oz, Neufchâtel Cheese
    dash of white pepper
    0.80 Tbsp (8g), Corn Starch dissolved in cold water

Started by sweating finely diced onion/celery/garlic in a bit of olive oil until tender. Added all the ingredients except corn starch and slowly brought to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Thicken with corn starch slurry as needed. Makes two servings: ~200 calories per.
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    I’ll second cauliflower white sauces and pumpkin (although I use butternut) cheese sauces as being delicious and easy. If you like or don’t mind the taste of tofu, blending silken tofu into either of these or the cream cheese sauce is really yummy (there is a hint of the tofu taste, it doesn’t completely disappear, so don’t try if you hate the taste of tofu 🙂). Also, soaked and blended cashews make an AMAZING Alfredo, but it’s not low fat, or low cal, lol