is 1500 caliries really enought?

Options
I dont want to undereat.
I am 45, 113 kg male, I workout 3 times per week at home and I got like 1500 calories max to lose like 1 kg per week....
I see many times I eat even less and do not lose weight. I stay at home all the time now.
and I am vegan.....why I am not losing weight is a big mystery to me....

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,544 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food intake? Do you use a scale? It's really common to underestimate how much we eat.

If you shoot for a slower weight loss, you'll get more calories. Don't forget to eat back calories from exercise. The number MFP gives you is just for daily living.

You are wise to be concerned about undereating. It can have negative health effects. Consider calculating your maintenance calories just for fun. Anything under that and you should lose weight. If it's just a little under, the weight loss will be slow. You'll also need to recalculate your calorie target as you lose weight because it takes fewer calories to support the smaller you that you will become.
  • The_Stargazer
    The_Stargazer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So you have to remember that the "2000 calories in a normal diet" thing is a sham.

Everyone's metabolisms are different.

Personally in order to lose weight I need to:
    - Keep my calories under 1600 a week
    - Walk a minimum of 10k steps a day, EVERY day
    - 1 hour of cardio, 3 times per week
    - Balance my Carbs/Protein/Fat at about 33% each

With all of that I maintain a weight loss rate of around 0.8 kg per week.

In my experience, many people with a slow metabolism will see small or non-existent weight loss from diet alone.

I did an experiment with myself starting at 2,000 (where I was definitely gaining weight) and cutting my calories by about 100 every 2-3 weeks to see when I would start losing weight.

I got as low as 1,200 (definitely in the unhealthy diet range for someone of my height) and still wasn't losing any weight, just maintaining.

It wasn't until I massively upped my daily exercise, PLUS calorie restriction that I saw results.

To give you an example, before I was getting MAYBE 750 - 1250 steps in a day. So I've worked myself up to 10x that (10k per day) plus the cardio.

Also, I had to turn off that "Adjust calories for exercise" feature of MFP. It's annoying, and adds WAYYYYYY too many calories for exercise (probably on purpose since the only way you can turn it off is to pay for the app).

• KaceeAnne83
    KaceeAnne83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    How are you measuring your food intake? Do you use a scale? It's really common to underestimate how much we eat.

If you shoot for a slower weight loss, you'll get more calories. Don't forget to eat back calories from exercise. The number MFP gives you is just for daily living.

You are wise to be concerned about undereating. It can have negative health effects. Consider calculating your maintenance calories just for fun. Anything under that and you should lose weight. If it's just a little under, the weight loss will be slow. You'll also need to recalculate your calorie target as you lose weight because it takes fewer calories to support the smaller you that you will become.

• AK121730
    AK121730 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I’ve really tried to pay close attention to caloric density and macros. I found that if I didn’t stay somewhat close to my recommended macros that I either crashed midday or went through the day hungry AND still didn’t lose weight. While paying attention to the macros is the goal, it is hard to do and I am making baby steps towards compliance. You are not alone KaceeAnne83 and there are a lot of great people on MFP that can offer suggestions on what helped them.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    So you have to remember that the "2000 calories in a normal diet" thing is a sham.

In my experience, many people with a slow metabolism will see small or non-existent weight loss from diet alone.

I did an experiment with myself starting at 2,000 (where I was definitely gaining weight) and cutting my calories by about 100 every 2-3 weeks to see when I would start losing weight.

I got as low as 1,200 (definitely in the unhealthy diet range for someone of my height) and still wasn't losing any weight, just maintaining.

It wasn't until I massively upped my daily exercise, PLUS calorie restriction that I saw results.

To give you an example, before I was getting MAYBE 750 - 1250 steps in a day. So I've worked myself up to 10x that (10k per day) plus the cardio.

Also, I had to turn off that "Adjust calories for exercise" feature of MFP. It's annoying, and adds WAYYYYYY too many calories for exercise (probably on purpose since the only way you can turn it off is to pay for the app).

Do you use a digital food scale?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    8yc4y5qfbsck.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options

Your n=1 personal results are just that. They have as much relevance to OP as my n=1 results, which are that I'm losing weight as a 5'5" (165cm), 125ish pound (57kg), 65 y/o female eating over 2000 calories daily on average, while getting well under 5000 steps most days, eating all my exercise calories, and consistently eating close to 50% carbs. (Since OP is a vegan, many of his good whole-foods protein sources will come with carbs, BTW (I'm vegetarian).)

Most of the rest of the crew above are giving OP advice based on research that's generally applicable across the population, on average. I'm an outlier. You may be an outlier, dunno. Research-based population averages - not n=1 from possible outlier people - would be a good place for OP to start. By definition, most people are close to average.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    You didn't specify your height but given your age and weight you should be able to lose weight at well above 1500 calories. Some of the most likely scenarios are:
    1. You aren't really eating 1500 calories -- something is off in the way you are tracking
    2. You possibly haven't been tracking long enough to have good data.
    3. You are actually losing fat but you can't "see it" because of water weight or a misunderstanding of weight fluctuations
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Your n=1 personal results are just that. They have as much relevance to OP as my n=1 results, which are that I'm losing weight as a 5'5" (165cm), 125ish pound (57kg), 65 y/o female eating over 2000 calories daily on average, while getting well under 5000 steps most days, eating all my exercise calories, and consistently eating close to 50% carbs. (Since OP is a vegan, many of his good whole-foods protein sources will come with carbs, BTW (I'm vegetarian).)

I'll add my n=1 to equal n=2 :smile:

I've always lost weight at the rate expected based on TDEE calculators based on my age and activity level. I'm 54, 5'7" and 177 lbs and can easily lose weight eating 2000 calories per day at my activity level -- which is fairly active now (working out 6 - 7 days per week).

Are there exceptions ? Sure. But those are just that ... rare and exceptional. For most of us we just need to track accurately and give the results time to take effect and avoid snap judgement based on small sample sizes.
  • KaceeAnne83
    KaceeAnne83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Honestly, I don't weigh my food. My dr told me to use this app. I don't know where to buy a scale to weigh food. But, from all the posts ive noticed quite a few people do it, so I probably should. Because I'm going by the nutrition facts, where it says unprepared and then prepared. So, I have seen people say weigh it before prepared, weight it after. So, I would assume I putting prepared weight in the diary. But, what is the proper way? I'm trying to do this right, because honestly i am normally extremely underweight. Always have been. Then bam, i gained over 65lbs in a yr and a half. I never had issues losing weight. But, I'm 37 and now metabolism is slowing....I haven't weighed myself since I started a week ago. Îm nervous to. I didn't have a scale for a reason. It made me sad. But, I have noticed changes. Which I know are healthy, and muscle weighs more than fat, so I may have gained weight. I eat more than I did before this, but it's healthier, and smaller portions. So, I'm on my way! So...next a food scale! Thank you everyone, this is wonderful support, great advice!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I don't know where to buy a scale to weigh food.

It's a great tool, and you can get them fairly inexpensive. I have no idea where on the planet you live. Around here, most department stores have them in the section with things like oven thermometers, measuring cups, and canning lids. Or you can look online. I bought mine at an employee-owned discount store. It wasn't expensive, so I wasn't sure it would last long. I just replaced the battery, so it's on its third now. It's still accurate when I calibrate it against a known weight.

• lisamestiza2021
    lisamestiza2021 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Honestly, I don't weigh my food. My dr told me to use this app. I don't know where to buy a scale to weigh food. But, from all the posts ive noticed quite a few people do it, so I probably should. Because I'm going by the nutrition facts, where it says unprepared and then prepared. So, I have seen people say weigh it before prepared, weight it after. So, I would assume I putting prepared weight in the diary. But, what is the proper way? I'm trying to do this right, because honestly i am normally extremely underweight. Always have been. Then bam, i gained over 65lbs in a yr and a half. I never had issues losing weight. But, I'm 37 and now metabolism is slowing....I haven't weighed myself since I started a week ago. Îm nervous to. I didn't have a scale for a reason. It made me sad. But, I have noticed changes. Which I know are healthy, and muscle weighs more than fat, so I may have gained weight. I eat more than I did before this, but it's healthier, and smaller portions. So, I'm on my way! So...next a food scale! Thank you everyone, this is wonderful support, great advice!

weighing everything out with a scale/measuring spoons has become second nature to me. you'd be surprised what you THINK a tablespoon of peanut butter is compared to how litttttttttttttttttle you're actually getting once you dip that measured tablespoon in and scrape it out. it's just something to get used to and i'm glad i've adopted this habit as it's important for maintaining *well right now a few covid pounds to get off* my weight.

*damn nemesis peanut butter!* :#
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Peanut butter especially. And calorie dense things like it.

Best way I measure those things is tare the scale with the jar on (no lid), then scoop some out. The number is negative, but that’s how many grams came out.

And I already measured what I lick off the knife.
  • lisamestiza2021
    lisamestiza2021 Posts: 239 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    me before using actual measuring spoon for peanut butter:

n5k1dgdzha3q.gif
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @lisamestiza2021

You dog you!

Oh. And pass the jelly....

I can totally sit down with a jar and a spoon and.... Almond butter is even worse. I mean better. I mean worse. I mean.....Yeah That.
  • AK121730
    AK121730 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So true!