Protein Shake?

Options
I am currently taking phentermine to kick start some healthier eating habits. My biggest downfall food wise is not eating enough protein. I am just not a big fan of it. I never hit my protein intake goals, can I add a protein shake to my day to help increase this number?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yep!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Yes, protein shakes/bars are fine . . . or food. It might surprise you, some of the things that have protein. Sure, meat & fish are the biggies. But lots of other foods have protein, too. Good info here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Truth in advertising: Personally, I don't find protein powder, shakes, bars very tasty or satisfying. I prefer food. That's why I'm suggesting this as a possibility. It may not suit you, and that's totally fine. Everybody's different. 🙂
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I have a shake every morning . . . Lean whey vanilla, banana, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 cup milk (usually oat or almond), ice and water. I love it!
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I generally try to have 60 to 90 grams of protein a day.I am not a breakfast eater so to get my morning protein in I have a shake for breakfast. I don't like the powders because they tend to be chalky. The best ones I have found are Premier. I love there new cinnamon roll shake. I also like their chocolate and carmel. Each bottle has 30 grams of protein. I also have 1 for snack whic gives me 60 from just the shakes the other proteins I fet from chicken and fish. My doctor says he recommends 30 per meal for my height and weight. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Of course! It seems impossible at first but once you find some options it’s isn’t bad! I love adding a chocolate shake to my coffee, tastes like a latte! Also, built bars protein bars taste like candy 😍 Greek yogurt, protein waffles and egg whites are some other options!!!
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I never liked protein shakes...the chocolate, vanilla and strawberry were so gross.... but now I found a Cafe Latte flavor from Premier Protein and I add that to my black coffee ( add a bit of hot water to coffee then fill up the rest of the cup with the protein shake, stir and heat up for a minute in the microwave ) and because the flavor is like coffee, I enjoy that !
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Yep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was picky about protein shakes, but I found that Premier protein makes tasty shakes, and with 30g of protein they help me hit my goal. They come in a large variety of flavors and are low in sugar.
  • MsDVG
    MsDVG Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I concur with the rest, premier protein pre-made shakes have the best flavor and are affordable. For me Vanilla is the best tasting and easy alter. chocolate flavor will always be chocolate, but I can take a vanilla shake and make it chocolate or peanut butter flavored. My favorite is pouring it on my hot oatmeal. You can also freeze it into a popcicle for dessert.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking phentermine to kick start some healthier eating habits. My biggest downfall food wise is not eating enough protein. I am just not a big fan of it. I never hit my protein intake goals, can I add a protein shake to my day to help increase this number?

Sure you can add a protein shake.

As a former phentermine user I feel compelled to add:

I didn't internalize healthy eating habits when my appetite was artificially suppressed by taking a legal amphetamine-like drug and I gained all the weight back when I stopped taking it. And now I am on medication for heart palpitations.

Here's my favorite post about Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.
  • kayfager
    kayfager Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just tried Fairlife shakes and they are delicious..I've always used premier protein but not anymore 😑
  • kms_fit1
    kms_fit1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great way to add protein to your diet. There are so many companies that make them, you just need to check the ingredients list first before buying to make sure you are aware of what you’re putting into your body. I personally stay away from the ingredient carrageenan GMOs and prefer organic for quality.

There are pre-made, on-the-go, ready-to-drink individual serving options and then there’s protein powder to make your own and add in whatever you like. Experiment with different flavors to find one you enjoy so that it doesn’t seem like a chore to drink it.;)

My current favorite for on-the-go is the plant-based Orgain Creamy Chocolate shakes (20g protein) - found at Costco. :) My husband and I each have our own homemade shake every morning using a powder from Nutrishop (Vitasport PRO7EIN Synthesis, 34g per serving) and add in a scoop of fiber, collagen peptides and sometimes super greens for added nutrition. It’s been a game-changer and it’s easier to hit my macros this way and gain muscle mass. Protein powders from Lifetime Fitness are also of good quality and taste great.
  • Ronin8033
    Ronin8033 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely add a protein shake to help with protein intake. I have a hard time finding enough low-calorie protein dense foods to meet my daily goal of ~140 grams while staying below my calorie limit (need to drop some weight). I use a shake 1-3 times a day depending on what else I eat for the day.

By far, the best tasting protein powder I've found, and I've tried a lot, is Optimum Nutrition (ON) Gold Standard Whey in the Double Rich Chocolate flavor (24g protein, 3g carbs, 1.5g fat, 120 calories). Not only does it taste great, but, it's the only high quality protein powder I have been able to find that doesn't contain Sucralose or some other artificial sweetener that completely wrecks my stomach. Just make sure you mix it with something cold and it will taste good. If you mix it with something warm or room temperature it doesn't taste as good.