Why am I not losing more weight? Any suggestions?

Options
Hi everyone! So I am just wondering, how come am not losing more weight? This has been a mystery of mine, just because a couple of weeks I have stalled. This week, I lost like one pound which I dont understand. For the past couple of months, I have cut out all junk food, fast food and I hardly even drink diet soda anymore. All foods I eat are mostly whole foods and foods packed with protein. i also been tracking my food intake per day. i am 425lbs. I been exercising nearly everyday, I am even starting to go for 20 minute walks which used to be difficult for me...but I am just wondering, how come I am not losing weight? I just thought that at my size, I should be dropping pounds especially with the drastic changes that I have made on this journey of mine. Over two months ago, I ate fast food everyday and just ate nothing healthy but now I eat more vegetables, fruit, drink protein shakes, make delicious meals, I just dont know what im doing wrong...

Replies

• bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Metabolism works mysterious ways, sometimes it is hard to explain why things happen or dont happen. You are right, at that weight with any decent diet you should be dropping the pounds with ease. If I were you, to start with I would calculate my BMR rate to determine where my calorie deficit begins. Once you have that, plan your daily meals to go under that. Even without exercise just by being in calorie deficit all the time you should lose weight. When calorie deficit is established I would begin to experiment with different types of foods, high carb vs low carb, high fat/protein vs low fat/protein, the age old problem of what works. Each has its own benefits, one has to figure out which one works best. In your case I would go for low carb high fat, get rid of bread, pasta, sugar, go for high fat high protein dare I say go keto, see whether it works for you. If not, try to change the macros around, the most important factor is to eat less than what your body can burn a day.
  • bubus05
    edited February 2021
    Options
    bubus05 wrote: »
    Metabolism works mysterious ways, sometimes it is hard to explain why things happen or dont happen. You are right, at that weight with any decent diet you should be dropping the pounds with ease. If I were you, to start with I would calculate my BMR rate to determine where my calorie deficit begins. Once you have that, plan your daily meals to go under that. Even without exercise just by being in calorie deficit all the time you should lose weight. When calorie deficit is established I would begin to experiment with different types of foods, high carb vs low carb, high fat/protein vs low fat/protein, the age old problem of what works. Each has its own benefits, one has to figure out which one works best. In your case I would go for low carb high fat, get rid of bread, pasta, sugar, go for high fat high protein dare I say go keto, see whether it works for you. If not, try to change the macros around, the most important factor is to eat less than what your body can burn a day.

Lol just no. Don't listen to any of this nonsense.

This 'nonsense' helped me lose 90 lbs in eleven months. I thought if it helped me it could help others but go on...enlighten me where I am going wrong.
  • bubus05
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

Lol just no. Don't listen to any of this nonsense.

This 'nonsense' helped me lose 90 lbs in eleven months. I thought if it helped me it could help others but go on...enlighten me where I am going wrong.

First off:
    - you are confusing BMR and TDEE
    - all you need is to be in a calorie deficit, as you said yourself. You don't need to eliminate carbs to lose weight (unless you want to eat low carb or have medical issues requiring carb management), so why recommend it 'in her case'?
    BMR or TDEE, I am aware off the difference. But to get to TDEE one needs to know BMR. BMR is obviously not the complete picture but it does give you an idea where you stand. I recommended low carb/high fat simply because it worked for me. I was a great fan of high carb diets by the way had no medical issues-that I know of- except maybe being massively obese at 290 lbs and high blood pressure. To get to where I am now i did two things, gone into calorie deficit, got rid off most of my favourite high carbs bread pasta sugar and gone the keto way. Now I am not totally sure which helped me most keto or calorie deficit, but I am just saying what worked.
  • Katherinelittle24
    Katherinelittle24 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Since December 1st of last year, I have lost 44lbs. A couple of weeks though I didnt lose anything and this week I struggle with losing weight, but im wondering if maybe im taking in too much sodium? I do use seasoning a lot and I bought dill pickles recently which pickles is a lot of sodium. I have been taking in less than 1500 calories somedays, so sometimes I only do between 1200-1500 calories, sometimes more depending on my exercise level and my state of hunger. I know I am still doing well and im proud of myself because I have come a long way, I just have a goal in what I want to achieve by March.
  • mariamsmb1
    mariamsmb1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Since December 1st of last year, I have lost 44lbs. A couple of weeks though I didnt lose anything and this week I struggle with losing weight, but im wondering if maybe im taking in too much sodium? I do use seasoning a lot and I bought dill pickles recently which pickles is a lot of sodium. I have been taking in less than 1500 calories somedays, so sometimes I only do between 1200-1500 calories, sometimes more depending on my exercise level and my state of hunger. I know I am still doing well and im proud of myself because I have come a long way, I just have a goal in what I want to achieve by March.

44 lbs in 2 months is a massive weight loss! That’s 5 lbs a week!!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Again, how are you tracking your calories?
    Are you weighing food, using cups, just going by the package weight...etc.

This. Also it is possible you are over estimating number of calories burned on your 20 minute walks.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    I took that as she lost 44 pounds since December a year ago.

Either way it's a good result.

I think that we need to see that food diary to see where we can be of help with the food logging part.

@Katherinelittle24 Go to FOOD > Settings and scroll down, click "Public" and save. We can help more if you give us readable accurate info.

December of 2020, or December of 2019 is when you started?

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I took that as she lost 44 pounds since December a year ago.

Either way it's a good result.

I think that we need to see that food diary to see where we can be of help with the food logging part.

@Katherinelittle24 Go to FOOD > Settings and scroll down, click "Public" and save. We can help more if you give us readable accurate info.

December of 2020, or December of 2019 is when you started?

I'm thinking it's December 2020, only because in her OP a few times she mentioned changing her eating habits a couple of months ago.