Acquaintance Asked Me to be Accountability Partners?

Options

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I have to say I’m concerned for the woman. She doesn’t remember him, yet he’s willing to pay money to force a connection. Sounds like he may have some obsession with her. For her safety she might need to know these details.

I had a conversation with Joe.

The woman does remember workout guy, but barely, it was 40 years ago and not really a traumatic event in the big picture to her. Workout guy and the woman were in a golf class and got assigned as partners. Apparently workout guy developed a crush on the woman that wasn't mutual. It was making her uncomfortable, she dropped the class and avoided him around campus when possible. "Joe" had actually dated the woman for a couple months in college. They broke it off but remained friends, communicate occasionally and "Joe" and his wife have visited with the woman and her husband. The woman told "Joe" she has no ill will toward workout guy but has no desire to communicate with him. "Joe" mentioned this to workout guy but he "can't find closure".

In workout guy's email to "Joe" he mentions being a long term member and active in his church. "Joe" and I discussed and I think I'm going to reach out in confidentiality to the priest and ask him if he's noted anything different about workout guy's behavior.

Hey thank you for the update! Couple thoughts- What about informing her of the fact he is clearly obsessed? This is her life to decide the proper precautions, not really up to anyone else how to make that call and what to do. I personally would be upset that it wasn’t communicated directly to me but to people around me instead. Food for thought.

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear. "Joe" has told the woman about workout guy's contacts with him.

Workout guy has tried contacting the women via LinkedIn to the point she deleted her account. " Joe's" understanding is the woman messaged workout guy back initially, told him any issues were in the past, she has no ill will against him but would prefer mot to communicate any more.

The woman retired from a successful career and was working part time at a clothing store for something to do. Apparently workout guy saw the name of the store where she was working om LinkedIn before she deleted her account. He showed up there a few times that happened to be her day off but he identified himself to other employees and said he wanted to talk to her.

Workout guy isn't getting the hint.

• Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have to say I’m concerned for the woman. She doesn’t remember him, yet he’s willing to pay money to force a connection. Sounds like he may have some obsession with her. For her safety she might need to know these details.

I had a conversation with Joe.

The woman does remember workout guy, but barely, it was 40 years ago and not really a traumatic event in the big picture to her. Workout guy and the woman were in a golf class and got assigned as partners. Apparently workout guy developed a crush on the woman that wasn't mutual. It was making her uncomfortable, she dropped the class and avoided him around campus when possible. "Joe" had actually dated the woman for a couple months in college. They broke it off but remained friends, communicate occasionally and "Joe" and his wife have visited with the woman and her husband. The woman told "Joe" she has no ill will toward workout guy but has no desire to communicate with him. "Joe" mentioned this to workout guy but he "can't find closure".

In workout guy's email to "Joe" he mentions being a long term member and active in his church. "Joe" and I discussed and I think I'm going to reach out in confidentiality to the priest and ask him if he's noted anything different about workout guy's behavior.

Hey thank you for the update! Couple thoughts- What about informing her of the fact he is clearly obsessed? This is her life to decide the proper precautions, not really up to anyone else how to make that call and what to do. I personally would be upset that it wasn’t communicated directly to me but to people around me instead. Food for thought.

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear. "Joe" has told the woman about workout guy's contacts with him.

Workout guy has tried contacting the women via LinkedIn to the point she deleted her account. " Joe's" understanding is the woman messaged workout guy back initially, told him any issues were in the past, she has no ill will against him but would prefer mot to communicate any more.

The woman retired from a successful career and was working part time at a clothing store for something to do. Apparently workout guy saw the name of the store where she was working om LinkedIn before she deleted her account. He showed up there a few times that happened to be her day off but he identified himself to other employees and said he wanted to talk to her.

Workout guy isn't getting the hint.

Not your fault, I just wasn’t getting the full picture for some reason. I understood she was invited to meet and declined, but didn’t realize she understood the extent of his efforts after she rejected the offer. Just hope I don’t have to watch this story on ID someday. This gets more alarming by the minute.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,644 Member
    Options
    You said everyone involved is married, does this include workout guy? If so, should someone get his wife involved and maybe she can talk some sense into him?
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Regarding old history cropping up: a few years ago my retired English teacher answered his door and was shot dead by a high school classmate he hadn't seen in over 50 years.
  • Theoldguy1
    edited February 2021
    Options
    KMasz wrote: »
    You said everyone involved is married, does this include workout guy? If so, should someone get his wife involved and maybe she can talk some sense into him?

Yes it includes the workout guy. Can't speak for everyone but I'm not chancing breaking up a 30+ year marriage.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,644 Member
    Options

Yes it includes the workout guy. Can't speak for everyone but I'm not chancing breaking up a 30+ year marriage.

I hear ya. & granted I don’t know these people, so I don’t know how far workout guy will go... but I worry for college girl-turned woman’s safety since he’s clearly showing stalking behaviors!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    Options

Who has more "right" to peaceful existence? The person who hasn't had anything to do with workout guy since college, or the person married "in sickness and in health" to workout guy for 30+ years?

Workout guy sounds "off" and people around him such as his priest and wife should probably become aware of this and intervene to get him to get help and medication before he breaks even further from reality...

Or... it's time to step away and shut the lot out of your life if you can convince yourself that this ain't your *kitten* to deal with.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I would be tempted to point out to workout guy -- who I think maybe we should start calling stalker guy -- that several people/witnesses now know about his inappropriate behavior (including you, "Joe," and the other workers at the clothing store) on more than one occasion, so in his own self-interest he should back off before he finds himself doing something stupid/criminal.

Maybe his sense of self-preservation is stronger than his stalker tendencies. He left her alone for decades. He may be able to manage to leave her alone again.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    the lockdown has made us all think about what is lacking in our lives. He most likely has made a decision to be more friendly and open to people. So, he asked you about working out as a step toward that.

I like your approach to offer to still socialize with him..and you could lay it on the table, tell him you like to work out independently without having to check in with another person...but you'd love to say hi when he's at the gym...even catch coffee. He couldn't feel bad about that.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    the lockdown has made us all think about what is lacking in our lives. He most likely has made a decision to be more friendly and open to people. So, he asked you about working out as a step toward that.

I like your approach to offer to still socialize with him..and you could lay it on the table, tell him you like to work out independently without having to check in with another person...but you'd love to say hi when he's at the gym...even catch coffee. He couldn't feel bad about that.

@elisa123gal

This is one thread you really should take the time to read through -- not because I (or anyone else) might object to your responding to an out-of-date version of what's really going on, but because you are missing all the drama. I mean all of it -- all of the crazy, messy, human interaction we're all supposedly missing in lockdown.

:o
  • Theoldguy1
    edited February 2021
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »

I hear ya. & granted I don’t know these people, so I don’t know how far workout guy will go... but I worry for college girl-turned woman’s safety since he’s clearly showing stalking behaviors!

Maybe someone should slip an anonymous note to college girls current husband and let him handle it? As a husband myself, if some creeper from years ago started stalking MY wife, I'd sure as hell want to know and take steps to nip that crap in the bud...

College girl's husband knows about workout guy per my conversation with "Joe". Apparently originally didn't bother him but starting to get on his nerves now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

:open_mouth:

This is why I try very hard to read the whole thread before I comment.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Just got caught up on this thread--can only say Wow! to the weird turn of events. Sometimes as people get "older" something snaps and they can fixate on a person from the past. It's hard to stop them, it's an obsession. A friend of my husband did this, all normal and then started writing love letters to a nobilwoman here and just started stalking her--loopy. The guy had an important job in Law, and it was completely out of character. The woman threatened legal action and in the end he dropped it. But he started having serious mental problems and that was just the first sign.

This is not to take lightly. I don't think he'll give up easily.