Gain lean muscle any tips welcome

Options
Hi All,
Hoping some of you out there can provide some suggestions etc.
I work out everyday using a mixture of dumbbells and also weight machine. I have been increasing both reps and weights used. I also do 5km run per day on the treadmill and cycle a couple of times a week for approx 15km per session.
I have lost weight (fat) which is great and have seen a drop in both fat percentage and also more definition of muscle slimming in appearance etc.
I use protein powder before each gym session and also after as well.
I stay under my calorie goal everyday to lose more fat currently about 22% body fat.
Appreciate any other tips to increase muscle growth but not increase fat. I weigh about 62kg and about 5’6” tall.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for muscle growth and not fat increase, then you're looking at recomp. Which for most is eating at maintenance or a slight calorie deficit and doing a progressive overload lifting program.
    Just realize that recomp is a LONG LONG process for muscle GAIN. It could take a year just to see minimal gain (IE. say a 1/4 inch on your chest if you do it).
    Gaining muscle means adding to your frame and if you don't have enough fat weight to spare, say 5lbs, then you won't be gaining hardly any muscle at all unless your weight goes up. And that doesn't happen on a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If 22% is even close to accurate, then keep cutting. Getting leaner will make you look bigger. The bigger thing that will help is getting on a structured lifting program like found in the link below. I would get on one that is focused around hypertrophy like PHUL.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Keep cutting until you are 15%. I would suggest a structured lifting program like PHUL, strong lifts, etc based on what your skill level is...

You can’t gain muscle and lose fat except in recomp - very slow- or newbie gains when you are new to lifting..
  • miallbena8190
    miallbena8190 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I am now a bit confused. My scales say I am at 22% body fat. If I use online body fat calculator and input neck and waist measurements, age etc I show as 8.6% body fat. Which would be more accurate. I can share my measurements if that helps.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I am now a bit confused. My scales say I am at 22% body fat. If I use online body fat calculator and input neck and waist measurements, age etc I show as 8.6% body fat. Which would be more accurate. I can share my measurements if that helps.

Body fat scales are notoriously inaccurate. If you can post some pics we can probably give you an estimate...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

You wouldn't be in any doubt about being lean or not if you were truly 8.6% body fat.

There is nothing for anyone to judge your scales 22% estimate as scales vary from absolutely useless to perhaps a reasonable trend over time (most usually from commercial grade 4 sensor models used with suitable care over your hydration levels).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    8.6% bodyfat is majorly "ripped". Abs should be very visible as well as muscle separation. There are few people that get down to that percentage. If you were, you wouldn't need to lose any body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sportertje354
    Sportertje354 Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Coming from someone with a cycling and triathlon background besides other disciplines, wondering if you are doing too much running and cycling for your goal. Maybe cut it down a bit, and focus more on the weights/building muscle part

With the amount of running and cycling you are doing I was surprised you had 22%, and towards 8.5% sounded more logical, that was just first impression and I could be off.

Cycling and especially running can make you skinny, but also because you are burning so much

Not sure if you are measuring correctly, or using the right sources

The internet has been great in many things, cinpared to when I was younger and training, at the same time there are so many different theories, calculations, and advice it can be confusing I find

I would get your fat percentage measured by a professional if you want to be sure, and maybe check in with them every once in a while to measure progress, and maybe they can teach you too, for your body, so you have a better idea going forward

Maybe some here can help you too kinda narrow it down

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    Hoping some of you out there can provide some suggestions etc.
    I work out everyday using a mixture of dumbbells and also weight machine. I have been increasing both reps and weights used. I also do 5km run per day on the treadmill and cycle a couple of times a week for approx 15km per session.
    I have lost weight (fat) which is great and have seen a drop in both fat percentage and also more definition of muscle slimming in appearance etc.
    I use protein powder before each gym session and also after as well.
    I stay under my calorie goal everyday to lose more fat currently about 22% body fat.
    Appreciate any other tips to increase muscle growth but not increase fat. I weigh about 62kg and about 5’6” tall.
    Thanks in advance.

Is there a reason for the bolded?

And are you losing at a rate reasonable for the amount left to lose to healthy weight?

Unreasonable rate will include muscle mass.

Oh - the Lean Body Mass you may be referencing is not Lean Muscle - LBM is everything not FM (Fat Mass).
    Only 2 partitions of weight there.
    Drink 16 oz of water and you gained 1 lb LBM.

And as commented on BIA scale, it could be upwards of 5% accurate on really good models, most are closer to 10% - if presented with the same hydrated body - which most don't, so now call it 15%.
    That's why it's best as a trend indicator if it's at least consistent.
    Ever gotten off and back on and tested BF% again? Same? Good, consistent.

And if scale gives readings for things besides FM & LBM, those are even more statistical based and greater % of error - those readings are more for entertainment - might make you laugh or cry.
  • Sportertje354
    Sportertje354 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Unreasonable rate will include muscle mass.

Yeah wondering too if there is muscle mass being lost here, that could account for the small measurement leading to the 8.5" outcome maybe, whereas the scale is measuring more of the fat