CALORIES IN/CALORIES OUT

MFP has me on 1500 daily... trying to lose kg’s ...should i be eating ALL 1500? Or have what ive heard ‘defecit’?? To lose kg’s?? Just starting counting ‘CICO’ listen to alot of ‘Jillian Michaels’ INSPO👍🏼

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,100 Member
    Did you already enter your personal stats and choose a weight loss rate? Then yes, you should eat all of those 1500 calories since it already includes a calorie deficit (based on the weight loss rate you chose).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    1500 + exercise is the daily goal you got by selecting the rate of loss you picked when you did your goal set up, that's where you decided your calorie deficit.
  • standy73
    standy73 Posts: 26 Member
    ThankU guys, im in kg’s im Australia 🇦🇺 Yes ive connected to my Garmin watch its connecting daily👏🏼 Counts my steps & i can add exercise too ( but not boxing i find bizaar)
    Problem i finding is my Zumba class are night adding many deficit cals which i complete day then find it wont calculate as i have 1000’s remaining ( ZUMBA) burns alot steps!!!!
  • standy73
    Thanks guys 🙏🏼Zumba on garman watch works out 7,000-8,000 steps that in calories come straight off MFP but always leaves such a large gap (sometimes 1400) after eating 1500... that's good though right??
  • standy73
    Exactly ive been working all day today so on top of 1500 i have 200 cals ... now about to do Zumba 60min high active will set me another gain of 1000 cals😲🤨
    Ive already eaten brekky lunch snacks accounted it all added another shake in case too🤦🏻‍♀️
    My is how best to calculate daily carbs, protein & fat??
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,100 Member
    edited February 2021
    Well, 1000 calories for your zumba class is highly unlikely. As someone else said, 300-400 calories seems more likely, so that would mean leaving 600-700 calories 'unused' at the end of the day.

For macros, I don't use percentages, I aim for 100gr protein or more and a minimum of 50gr fat (I'm usually higher) and then carbs take up whatever is left.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    standy73 wrote: »
    ThankU guys, im in kg’s im Australia 🇦🇺 Yes ive connected to my Garmin watch its connecting daily👏🏼 Counts my steps & i can add exercise too ( but not boxing i find bizaar)
    Problem i finding is my Zumba class are night adding many deficit cals which i complete day then find it wont calculate as i have 1000’s remaining ( ZUMBA) burns alot steps!!!!

Are you sure that you are calculating zumba calories correctly??

Cant quite see a nightly zumba class adding thousands of calories.

1000 calorie Zumba viburnum sounds legit..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    OP you need to net 1500 calories if you are doing mfp method. However, I concur with others that you are not burning 1000 calories via Zumba. I would only eat back 25% of those calories.
  • standy73
    yup eat all 1500. plus some exercise.

for zumba, which I used to do all the time before we moved to where we are now, I would only eat back 300-400. i know the burn says a lot more, but I also always give it a giant dose of salt as far as accuracy goes (with any exercise, not just that).

ironically I have a zoom zumba session planned for tomorrow. Im not sure how I will like that, but am going to give it a try and see.

for zumba, which I used to do all the time before we moved to where we are now, I would only eat back 300-400. i know the burn says a lot more, but I also always give it a giant dose of salt as far as accuracy goes (with any exercise, not just that).

ironically I have a zoom zumba session planned for tomorrow. Im not sure how I will like that, but am going to give it a try and see.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    standy73 wrote: »
    Exactly ive been working all day today so on top of 1500 i have 200 cals ... now about to do Zumba 60min high active will set me another gain of 1000 cals😲🤨
    Ive already eaten brekky lunch snacks accounted it all added another shake in case too🤦🏻‍♀️
    My is how best to calculate daily carbs, protein & fat??

You should eat some of those zumba calories back...but you're definitely not burning 1K calories in 60 minutes of Zumba. Watches and gadgets, etc are all giving you an estimate....but that's grossly overinflated. Generally speaking, an hour of good intensive cardiovascular exercise is usually going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-500 calories depending on what you're doing. 1K calories in an hour of exercise is elite athlete territory...and even then, that would be a very hard training day.
  • gossipgirl1970
    gossipgirl1970 Posts: 1 Member
    You say you have a garmin i have too and I use the calories in/out on that rather than what my mfp says x