edited February 2021 in Food and Nutrition
I think I burnout because of the food i eat

What would make me recover fast.

Protein powders help but I make mine high calories :/

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    can you be more specific?

are you just getting tired of eating the same thing every day? you don't have to. eat whatever you like within your calories.

are you burning out on the weight loss process? what are your calories set at? too low maybe? are you on a restrictive diet? again, calories are king, and most of us are very firm supporters of 'nothing is off limits' as long as you can make it fit in your calories
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Do you like to cook? Maybe you could buy a new cookbook that looks interesting to you and try cooking your way through it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    What do you mean by burning out, and why do you think it is related to the foods you eat? Are you being extremely restrictive?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I try to incorporate plenty of things that I REALLY like into my calorie budget because I see my food plan as a lifestyle not a "get thin quick" diet.

I'm lucky that I love veggies and it's not difficult for me to salivate over a perfect salad or even have nummy dreams about a spicy curried butternut squash soup, but if I can 't have a few IPAs and a darker-than-my-own-soul chocolate brownie now and then, then it's not my lifestyle!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Need more info ...

giphy.gif
  • arrowprayer
    arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2021
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    What do you mean by burning out, and why do you think it is related to the foods you eat? Are you being extremely restrictive?

I eat 1500 cal

Peanut butter without the bread
    Cheese
    Hot peppers
    Oatmeal
    Chicken breast
    Soups
    Shrimp
    Protein powder with almond milk

I mean my body feels fatigued

I don’t think it’s the exercise because it’s not that intense, could be sleep tho too but I get about 8 hours

• arrowprayer
    arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
    I’m just looking for foods that lead to muscle recovery
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Making sure you're getting enough food would be an important start.

As said on your other thread, you should eat back at least some of your exercise calories.

The question was also posed whether you enjoy eating this way? Have you cut out a lot of foods you like?

• suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Are you well hydrated? The foods you mentioned didn’t include fruits and veggies. So I would include them as well as plenty of water.

I know you are focused on muscle recovery but the nutrients and the fiber in the plant based foods will help your energy level and overall recovery.
  • ndj1979
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I eat 1500 cal

Cheese
    Hot peppers
    Oatmeal
    Chicken breast
    Soups
    Shrimp

I don’t think it’s the exercise because it’s not that intense, could be sleep tho too but I get about 8 hours

On one of your other recent threads, you ask about how to classify the "HIIT exercises that you see on Instagram". If that's what you're doing, then they're intense . . . it's right in the name, y'know, HIIT = "High Intensity Interval Training".

If you're doing those, they're intense, and intensity causes more physical fatigue (as compared with lower intensity exercise), and can cause burnout. On top of that, if you do basically the same routine too frequently, you aren't giving your muscle groups enough recovery time. Too little recovery time is not only burnout-triggering, but can slow your fitness progress (because the recovery is when muscles build back stronger). No amount or type of food is going to undo all the counter-productive effects of excess exercise intensity or frequency. Harder exercise is not necessarily better exercise, for weight loss OR fitness OR health OR energy level.

further clarification would be is it really HIIIT? Or does OP think that he/she is doing HIIT? A lot of pepole assume they are doing HIIT but are not even close...
  • ndj1979

I eat 1500 cal

Cheese
    Hot peppers
    Oatmeal
    Chicken breast
    Soups
    Shrimp

Are you doing MFP method where you eat back exercise calories or TDEE method?
    What workout/exercise regimen are you doing?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I’m just looking for foods that lead to muscle recovery

Outside of just flat out not properly feeding your body for your level of activity, recovery issues are usually more about your training...doing too much...not taking recovery time...too many bouts of high intensity load, etc. For the most part, recovery comes with appropriate rest.

If you aren't eating enough that can lead to fatigue as your body is trying to slow you down relative to the calories you're eating. If you're low carb, this can also lead to fatigue and performance issues. But most often, actual recovery issues are about the way you're training.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    The place to start is eating back some percentage of your exercise calories, which you said on your other burn out thread that you do not do.

I'll quote myself from that thread:
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Do you eat your exercise cals? Or are you eating 1500 cals, burning a load from exercise and effectively eating a NET number that's far fewer cals than you need?

I don’t eat my burned calories

Eating back 0 of your exercise calories is a sure-fire recipe for burnout.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    I think I burnout because of the food i eat

What would make me recover fast.

Protein powders help but I make mine high calories :/
    Are you female? Do you watch your iron intake?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I eat 1500 cal

Cheese
    Hot peppers
    Oatmeal
    Chicken breast
    Soups
    Shrimp

On one of your other recent threads, you ask about how to classify the "HIIT exercises that you see on Instagram". If that's what you're doing, then they're intense . . . it's right in the name, y'know, HIIT = "High Intensity Interval Training".

If you're doing those, they're intense, and intensity causes more physical fatigue (as compared with lower intensity exercise), and can cause burnout. On top of that, if you do basically the same routine too frequently, you aren't giving your muscle groups enough recovery time. Too little recovery time is not only burnout-triggering, but can slow your fitness progress (because the recovery is when muscles build back stronger). No amount or type of food is going to undo all the counter-productive effects of excess exercise intensity or frequency. Harder exercise is not necessarily better exercise, for weight loss OR fitness OR health OR energy level.

further clarification would be is it really HIIIT? Or does OP think that he/she is doing HIIT? A lot of pepole assume they are doing HIIT but are not even close...

I share your concern, in the abstract, about the level of nonsense that's called HIIT these days. The other thread talks about "plank, squats, burpies, lunges". Is it really, truly HIIT?

I think it doesn't matter to my main point: OP reports burnout. OP reports "not that intense" exercise here, but asks questions on another thread about a type of exercise that may be intense, is in theory aiming to be intense (even if not in the traditional CV sense of the term), and exercise of a type that even (IMO) if not objectively intense, can contribute to burnout depending on current fitness level, lack of adequate recovery, etc.

Intense or certain types of under-recovered exercise can contribute to burnout. If that's the problem, poor eating habits can worsen the burnout, but excellent eating habits can't fully make up for it.

As an aside, I've been in the "HIIT" definition and claim-debunking discussion here often, on the "it's overhyped, overrated, often misnamed, and the research misrepresented" side of that argument. I didn't bring it up because it's a sidebar here, IMO. Also, while cross-checking what OP said about HIIT on the other recent thread (which I'd dimly remembered), I ran across a 2018 thread where I'd written a good bit of modern-HIIT-terminology skepticism *in a post by this very same OP*. 😆
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I eat 1500 cal

Cheese
    Hot peppers
    Oatmeal
    Chicken breast
    Soups
    Shrimp

I share your concern, in the abstract, about the level of nonsense that's called HIIT these days. The other thread talks about "plank, squats, burpies, lunges". Is it really, truly HIIT?

I think it doesn't matter to my main point: OP reports burnout. OP reports "not that intense" exercise here, but asks questions on another thread about a type of exercise that may be intense, is in theory aiming to be intense (even if not in the traditional CV sense of the term), and exercise of a type that even (IMO) if not objectively intense, can contribute to burnout depending on current fitness level, lack of adequate recovery, etc.

Intense or certain types of under-recovered exercise can contribute to burnout. If that's the problem, poor eating habits can worsen the burnout, but excellent eating habits can't fully make up for it.

As an aside, I've been in the "HIIT" definition and claim-debunking discussion here often, on the "it's overhyped, overrated, often misnamed, and the research misrepresented" side of that argument. I didn't bring it up because it's a sidebar here, IMO. Also, while cross-checking what OP said about HIIT on the other recent thread (which I'd dimly remembered), I ran across a 2018 thread where I'd written a good bit of modern-HIIT-terminology skepticism *in a post by this very same OP*. 😆

The definition of HIIT that I always go by is 30 second burst oh high intensity sprinting/burpies/etc, followed by 30 second rest then repeat.

Tabata Training is fairly well modeled around this concept.

I do walk/jog/sprints on the treadmill but I don't classify them as HIIT but they are not steady state either...