Easy ways to get more protein?

Options
I noticed that I always seem to fall short on my protein macros and too high on my carbohydrate macros. I am not really a fan of meat, and only eat chicken or pork on a rare occasion. I love tofu and fish, but even with those I seem to be falling short! Any other tips to help sneak it in? Thank you!

Replies

• sarah2834
    sarah2834 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you like dairy: greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, Fairlife milk. Hard boiled eggs, powdered peanut butter (I like mixing this with vanilla greek yogurt for apple dip). I use protein powder for a quick morning shake.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I like the premier protein shakes. They have helped up my protein intake. 30 grams of protein and delicious!
  • lilninjakitty
    lilninjakitty Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! I am a bit nervous to open up my diary because I am newly back to the app, but I will definitely put your suggestions to use!
  • thehumanpickle
    thehumanpickle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    On days where I need more protein, and bonus points if I want something sweet, I'll have a Muscle Milk or Premier Protein shake. They also make for decent coffee creamers if you indulge in that particular vice.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I make salad dressings and simmer sauces out of silken tofu instead of yogurt or mayo.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Organic vegan protein powder (like Orgain brand). Raw Pumpkin Seeds, Green Peas, canned salmon or tuna...all of these have decent amounts of protein. Swiss cheese and plain low fat Skyr or Greek type yogurt are my favorite.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I get my extra protein through Premier Protein shakes they have 30 gram per bottle my new favorite is the cinnamon roll 160 cals about 5 carb - I like the chocolate and caremel too. The liquid is better than the powder no chalky after taste. I also drink protein2o protein infused water it has 15 g of protein 60 cals and no sugar i ;ike the tropical coconut flavor . If I have 1 of each I have knocked out 45 proteins right off the bat.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    On what basis you think you need more proteins? What is your parameter? Actual proteins deficiency is extremely rare.
  • mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Can you eat eggs? They are a very quick and cheap way of getting protein without upping carbs and/or fat intake.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    mariomicro wrote: »
    Can you eat eggs? They are a very quick and cheap way of getting protein without upping carbs and/or fat intake.

While you are correct that eggs will not up carbs, one large whole egg has 5 grams of fat and 6 grams of protein. (Not that that fat is necessarily a problem for the OP - due to a medical condition, I am reducing fat and so am eating much less eggs.)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,520 Member
    Options
    Sundays are steak night. I always grill extra steak and a few chicken breasts with basic lemon pepper, Larry’s, or a honey Aleppo seasoning.

I like the steak slices in salads with a little feta, chopped chicken has 1001 uses, including a simple wrap (La Banderita makes a sizable 45 calorie carb-smart tortilla) with a swipe of Greek yogurt, lettuce and chopped tomatoes. Or add a tbsp of BBQ sauce, or a little Franks sauce or salsa for something spicier.

Chicken “costs” hardly any calories and is a protein powerhouse, inexpensive, and tasty.

Or throw a couple of breasts in a crockpot with a little salt and pepper, and you’ve got shredded chicken for wraps, tacos, or whatever.

I’m really enjoying having savory chicken things for breakfast.
  • JRan32
    JRan32 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look up Remington James on YouTube. He has some simple and great recipes for high protein low fat recipes.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Eat a balanced diet with foods that have protein, like meat, fish and eggs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Easiest would be to add in a protein shake. Personally I like Optimum Nutrition because it's a quality brand that can be relied on and is it's own manufacturer. Unlike some other protein powders, OP derives it's raw materials here in the US rather than getting it from China (where most manufacturers of supplements get them) who DOESN'T require that their raw materials be "pure" and free from contaminants. The majority of protein powders are manufactured by the same company. Sellers just put their "formula" on it and label.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GlowskiMcGlitter
    GlowskiMcGlitter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Collagen. Every morning the first thing I do is brew 2 cups of coffee and stir in 2 scoops of beef collagen peptide powder. This adds 18g of protein to my morning breakfast before I've even eaten anything. Collagen powder is tasteless, and dissolves extremely well in warm/hot liquids. It doesnt change the consistency of the coffee, there is no chalky protein or thickness to it like you would get from a whey protein or pea protein powder (meant for shakes or cooking). You could definitely add collagen to a shake or smoothie, though!! After I stir in the collagen powder, I add oatmilk (my peference) and enjoy. I recommend Vital Proteins brand, that is what I have been using for a few months now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I noticed that I always seem to fall short on my protein macros and too high on my carbohydrate macros. I am not really a fan of meat, and only eat chicken or pork on a rare occasion. I love tofu and fish, but even with those I seem to be falling short! Any other tips to help sneak it in? Thank you!

What is your protein goal, your stats and your workout schedule? That will determine what your protein goal is.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    To get all my protein in and not miss my protein targets I drink some of my proteins. I am not a big breakfast eater so I start my day with a protein drink with 30 grams of protein. That's 1/3 of what I need for the day. I will sometimes have a protein bar for a snack all of the bars I eat have 15-16 grams of protein. So between breakfast and snack that's 40. The rest I get from eating chicken, fish, eggs, and occasionally cheese.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Oh forgot.......................................beef jerky.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png