60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Greetings, all you seasoned citizens! It's good to see more activity in this thread. Snowing in Idaho for the next two or three days. FUN FUN FUN! ❄😁

A friendly reminder - recently, spammers have been sending out boatloads of friend requests on MFP. Be careful and check out the requesting users profile before adding someone you don't know as a friend. Please also report the obvious spammers to the MFP staff.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,043 Member
    Options
    anawake13 wrote: »
    Hi to all. I am really having a hard time. Just finished first two weeks and been on point each day but the scale hasn't moved. Very discouraged. Sounds I never use all my calories or go over nutrient levels I'm wondering if I am not eating enough. I am usually around 800 to 1,000 calories. Not because I try but am appetite is just lower. Any advice will be welcome. Hope you are all having a good week.

Eating too little is usually counter-productive.

Some of the reasons: It's hard to get enough good nutrition (even if the percents on MFP are good, the absolute amounts can be too low). It increases health risks, something that I think is a bigger deal at our age than when 20 or so. It can depress our energy level and even metabolism (so we move less, burn fewer calories, maybe feel cold, hair growth slows/hair may thin, etc.). It can lead to creepingly increasing water retention, hiding fat loss on the scale.

If you've started exercising alongside reduced calories, that, too can increase water retention for a while, and hide fat loss on the scale. (It's related to how muscle repair works in the body.)

It would be a very rare person who would *need* to eat 800-1000 calories only.

I'm wondering: Did you change what you're eating, in some way, to lose weight, and that's affecting your appetite? Speaking as someone who needed to lose weight herself, I was able to eat enough to gain in the first place, so too little appetite wasn't an issue while losing, for me (I ate mostly the same foods, just less of them, to lose).

It's OK to eat some more calorie-dense but less filling foods to get to a reasonable calorie goal, like nuts, avocados, peanut butter, or even treat foods in sensible portions.

It's OK (from a weight loss standpoint) to exceed one or more of your macronutrient totals, and it can even be a good idea to be on the high side with protein. Another thing that sometimes happens to hide weight loss on the scale if someone starts eating lots more fiber (whole grains, veggies, fruits), which increases digestive system contents on their way to becoming waste. Those things have weight, too: An apple in my digestive system and in my stomach weigh the same, for a surprisingly long time during the digestion process. Eating too little fat in the increased-fiber scenario is a double-whammy because constipation can result. (Lots of people cut fats way back because they're high-calorie. That can be taken too far.)

Bodies can be weird, especially when we change our eating/exercise routines. Hang in there! 🙂
  • InHimLin
    InHimLin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hoping everyone had a good day. I'm looking forward to Spring and being able to walk in the sunshine.
  • nevergonnaquit23
    Options
    I'm 70, want to lose 20#. I'm active, lots of walking, although I've had two knee replacements, neck fusions, thyroid (hashimoto's) which doesn't help with weight loss. Friend me!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :)This is a thread, not a group which makes it easier for people to find us. Some of us are chattier than others. Right now my life is the same every day so I don't have too much to say. I get up at 5 AM and walk my dogs to do their business, then feed them, fix my breakfast (exactly the same thing every day), write in my gratitude journal and do a bit of spiritual reading and a bit of computer puttering while eating my breakfast, then walk the dogs again for a longer walk. I dance for awhile, do home and bookkeeping projects, ride my exercise bike, walk the dogs some more, spend time with my husband, and walk again in the early evening, then go to bed early. My days are exciting to me because I listen to podcasts while I walk, and watch TV while I ride my exercise bike. I rotate the same foods for lunch, supper, and snacks so I don't spend much time cooking or thinking about food.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • InHimLin
    Options
    I'm 70, want to lose 20#. I'm active, lots of walking, although I've had two knee replacements, neck fusions, thyroid (hashimoto's) which doesn't help with weight loss. Friend me!!

Welcome. I'm 70 also and have 50 to lose. :)
  • InHimLin
    Options
    It snowed quite a bit yesterday so I'm staying inside today. I worked around the house, read a book, watched some you tube shows about health and wellness, and did laundry. I recently moved and need to find my Leslie Sansone walking dvd's. I downsized a few months ago and moved 2200 miles from my home of 40 years so I'm going through a big adjustment right now which is why I probably gained weight. I lived in warm weather and sunshine and was always on the go but now I'm trying to adjust to cold weather and snow.

I hope you all had a nice day and stuck to your health plan. Talk to you tomorrow. Night.
  • Alan_UK_1974
    Alan_UK_1974 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, and sometimes I feel like I'm 66! 😂
  • freedomlass
    freedomlass Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you click food diary, then click my meals on the top, find the meal you want to delete, click on it & below it there should be a box that says delete meal. Click this & it will say are you sure, click OK & it should take it out.

Thank you so much for this finally I can get things tidied up, added so many things a long time ago that I no longer use and found they were all getting in the way, clean slate and all that.
  • freedomlass
    freedomlass Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @RetiredAndLovingIt
    So I am now able to remove meals I created previously now, thanks again for that, but do you know how I can remove items from the 'My Food' list? a lot of these in this section are what I added just to make up the meals so again, I have tried to remove them in the same way but I only get the option to 'Edit' but not 'Delete'.
    Thanks in advance
  • Jims_1960
    Jims_1960 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    61 on Thursday with Apple Watch gift to move forward on fitness tracking.
    Play lot of golf (not with this *kitten* weather).
    Need to fix the bad lockdown habits!!!!
  • InHimLin
    Options
    Jims_1960 wrote: »
    61 on Thursday with Apple Watch gift to move forward on fitness tracking.
    Play lot of golf (not with this *kitten* weather).
    Need to fix the bad lockdown habits!!!!

Happy Birthday!!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    @freedomlass Nope, haven’t figured out how to delete from My Foods, sorry. Maybe someone else has?
  • InHimLin
    Options
    I'm doing OMAD because between OMAD and The Starch Solution I lost 57 pounds and kept it off for over 3 years. Since the lockdown I've gained about 17 pounds. I never reached my final goal back then but now I'm determined to get there.

I hope everyone is having a good day.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    What is OMAD!
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Removing foods from my food list. I may be off on what you want to delete. I just click on the food like I am adding it to food diary then scroll down page and click on delete and it is removed from list. If I missed what you meant. Just ignore my thought.😃

• InHimLin
    Options
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    What is OMAD!

One Meal A Day - You can get some good information from You Tube - 'OMAD Revolution'
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Hello, all. Just checking in here. Got the dog out for a walk the last two days in spite of all the snow. I was able to walk on the pavement and keep my feet dry. The melt is on now, so next will be muddy paw prints on the floors for a few days. 🐾🐕😁 Someone (not me) thought that this 70 lb. dog needed to sleep in the house instead of in the "Chesapeake Hilton" kennel that I have outside. She'll have to keep the mop handy for a few days. But that's okay - spring is on the way. YAY!