60 yrs and up

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    @teresadannar - Sounds like a great vacation. And even better news from the doctor! Hallelujah!
  • alteredsteve175
    For the dog owners in this group - an MFP friend of mine, @CoachFrenchie, has started a group for dog owners. A place to share information and stories for those whose dogs are fitness companions. Please join us if you like.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/137756-dogs-companions-in-fitness
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Congratulations!!!!!🎉🍾
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,299 Member
    thank you @alteredsteve175 , I joined. most of the time I got in 10,000 steps/day just from walking my dogs but as I shared before my Eleanor GSD got pneumonia for the 2nd time so she hasn't been able to walk much & they found an enlarged heart on her x-ray & suspected heart disease that could kill her so 2 vets recommended to get an echo to confirm so last Thursday I took her to a vet that did that. I must not have communicated clearly so besides an echo, he did an ultrasound, a bunch of labs, blood pressure..everything is normal. She does have a slightly enlarged heart but there's nothing wrong with it. I was SO grateful but it cost all the $$ I had saved for emergencies $850!! I meant to tell him just to do the echo, but I guess I wasn't clear. I just need to let it go. Hope we don't need it this month & nothing breaks down. So she's been getting better with her energy level. I think it just takes time to get well from pneumonia. The other thing is I'm starting Keto today temporarily, for a month to see if I can lose this bit of weight I gained since just calories aren't working this time. One of our sons & his wife have been on it & lost, though they're not really overweight & work out. I naturally eat less than 100g carbs a day anyway, so hopefully it won't be too hard. I sure missed my baked potato or english muffin or piece of bread with me breakfast this morning & still feel hungry so may eat lunch soon as I make it. I found this guy on you tube looking for keto info & he makes it easy by giving you the same foods to eat for a week, then changes the menu every week for the next 3 weeks. This is so you can get started & learn while you're actually doing it. I don't mind at all eating the same things every day. I believe if I can get back to where I was I can maintain as I did before, without keto
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Best of luck!!
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Health inquiry; any Osteoporosis patients that would care to share their experiences, medication, etc?
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Hi teresadannar - I have had the osteoporosis diagnosis for about 3 years. I started taking Prolia shots 2 yrs ago and my latest bone density showed a little improvement! I took pills when I had ostopenia and it wasn't absorbed at all. I do as much weight bearing exercise as I can to try to combat muscle loss. My experience was negative during the progression of this condition, because the insurance companies won't pay for treatment until you're there! Tell me more about your experience.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    Hello all,

I do not know how I missed this thread. Maybe because it is under introduce yourself section. I was looking for support for those who understand that losing weight and getting fit can be different when you are older. I am 67 and have been on MFP for quite a while. I lost quite a bit when I first started but then went back to work with a commute. I didn't adjust my calories so now I am working on getting rid of those pounds and keep going. I threw out my knee along the way and later broke my leg and am now having to do this after losing a lot of strength and with a problematic knee. I am fortunate that it doesn't usually flare up but then I am careful. For now I am on temporary furlough but unlike the last time I lost because I had time I have no gym. I love aquafit and miss having a pool. So I have spent my last 4 months easing into land based exercise.

I have also been concentrating on sleep, water intake and eating only when I am hungry and stopping when I am satisfied besides the usual logging daily and having a calorie deficit. I have lost 16 pounds since staying at home. I am hoping to be called back to work sometime this month but to work from home. I love my job. However my husband and I are working to get ready to retire in the next 3-5 years so this has been a little bit of a test drive for me. My husband is working from home. I think he put on some of those pounds I lost but then he didn't need to lose as much as I did.

I got the fitbit smart watch but it is irritating my skin. It helped with improving my NEAT. So I will have to find another way to track that.
  • linza7116
    linza7116 Posts: 18 Member
    Havn'e been here in awhile. I think I am tec challenged. I'm not sure how to see reply's. I have been on the KETO diet for a little over a half year. only lost 8 lb so far but my cholesterol went down a tiny bit even though I use lots of heavy cream and butter. My doc says I need to be on statins like lipitor. Apparently I have an eye problem from plaque breaking off in my eye causing something they call cotton wool. I don't like taking pills but I'll just add it to my pile. My biggest complaint is the horrible muscle cramps I get every night. I tried electrolytes and more water. Didn't help. Any ideas or suggestions?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :)muscle cramps, my husband's doctor recommended tonic water--it's the quinine but cheaper than pills and easier to absorb

:)replies when you reply to someone in the thread, use the reply box at the bottom and expect that it will show up at the end of the thread. If you want to reply to someone individually, mention their name at the beginning so they know that are answering them.

:)fitbit watch I have a pedometer that I carry in my pocket and use it to count steps.

:)pills, I have resisted pills so much and my husband keeps reminding me that we are fortunate to live at a time when there are prescriptions to improve our health. I take meds for high cholesterol and osteoporosis.

:) Tomorrow will be our once a month visit to the grocery store and I am looking forward to it as though it were a fancy vacation.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • anitarolon1950
    anitarolon1950 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m just starting. So I’m going to need encouragement. I’m 88 and would like to loose about 20 lbs.
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    Welcome anita! :) New here too, happy to see you. I'm 70. I walk every other day now and for about an hour. I'm setting my goal to just maintain at this time. I'd like to be 10 pounds lighter, but not in a hurry. I've tried losing it fast and it always comes back, so since I'm just above a normal BMI I decided to make the attempt at a more peaceful journey this time.
    <3
  • KeriA
    linza7116 wrote: »
    Havn'e been here in awhile. I think I am tec challenged. I'm not sure how to see reply's. I have been on the KETO diet for a little over a half year. only lost 8 lb so far but my cholesterol went down a tiny bit even though I use lots of heavy cream and butter. My doc says I need to be on statins like lipitor. Apparently I have an eye problem from plaque breaking off in my eye causing something they call cotton wool. I don't like taking pills but I'll just add it to my pile. My biggest complaint is the horrible muscle cramps I get every night. I tried electrolytes and more water. Didn't help. Any ideas or suggestions?

bananas or food with potassium.
  • KeriA
    @linza7116 at the bottom of the post you want to reply to you can click the "quote and it copies their post and below it you can type in your response to what they said. I am now just posting a reply then I typed in your name.
  • teresadannar
    @Gemini-My oncologist suggested Prolia, but it appears to be pretty pricey. I spoke with my PCP's triage nurse and she said they normally start out with Fosomax or Actenol. But it sounds like the pills did not work for you...ouch! I might just start out with the pills and wait and see if Medicare will cover more of the Prolia cost. I'm waiting until my annual in Sept to discuss further with my PCP.
    @Barbie-are you taking one of these, Fosomax or Actenol?
    LOL, what was the treatment Sally Fields was advertising?
    I guess you two are also taking calcium & D3 supplements as well?
  • teresadannar
    @teresadannar - Sounds like a great vacation. And even better news from the doctor! Hallelujah!

Thanks Steve! Hope you are doing well and had an enjoyable 4th.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,959 Member
    edited July 2020
    @Gemini-My oncologist suggested Prolia, but it appears to be pretty pricey. I spoke with my PCP's triage nurse and she said they normally start out with Fosomax or Actenol. But it sounds like the pills did not work for you...ouch! I might just start out with the pills and wait and see if Medicare will cover more of the Prolia cost. I'm waiting until my annual in Sept to discuss further with my PCP.
    @Barbie-are you taking one of these, Fosomax or Actenol?
    LOL, what was the treatment Sally Fields was advertising?
    I guess you two are also taking calcium & D3 supplements as well?

FWIW: I took alendronate sodium (Actonel and Fosamax are both similar to alendronate sodium, in my understanding) for several years when first diagnosed as osteopenic. I experienced few/no side effects that I noticed, and taking it made enough improvement that I was able to stop taking drugs for osteopenia for several years.

I've just been diagnosed as having backslid again, maybe all the way to osteoporosis, but (because of all this pandemic nonsense and my hesitancy to make medical appointments) haven't yet bet put back on drugs, but I'm sure I will be. No idea yet which drug will now be recommended.

I do take D3 and calcium supplements, but also get a lot of calcium from my food (I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, so eat a fairly large amount of dairy).
  • alteredsteve175
    linza7116 wrote: »

I drink pickle juice to combat cramps, but that is essentially another form of electrolytes, so that may not work for you. It does give me almost instant relief.
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)muscle cramps, my husband's doctor recommended tonic water--it's the quinine but cheaper than pills and easier to absorb ...
    <3 Barbie in NW WA

Thanks for that tip, Barbie. Always have tonic water in the house for G&T's, so I will have to try that.

• teresadannar
    @Ann, thank you! I was hoping the MFP plan I've been working on this past year would have made a positive impact on the bones, but then again, if I hadn't been following the plan the results could have been even worse!