60 yrs and up

Replies

• trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    “Someone” seems quite reasonable to me... lol but what do I know 😂☺️
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    @glojlilly, so sorry to hear about your experience and you have every right to feel disrespected. What a shame that others want to misuse this tool that is so helpful for everyone else. Best wishes towards regaining your focus!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    glojlilly wrote: »
    Hello all again. I need to bookmark group. I've been back 1 week and had a horrible exp. with a couple males these last 2 days befriending me. Both hitting on me and one suggesting videosex. I'm a christianwidow and felt great disrespect. I was naive to go offsite texting onmyphone believing it was friendship. My son warned me. Oh well sorry I had to warn someone. What has happened to MFP? Anyway I almost deleted my account behind it. So now I'm trying to refocus.

:) the lesson is to accept friend requests only from people you know on the threads you are part of.
  • glojlilly
    glojlilly Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2021
    My son's final take this a.m. Women on here are already vulnerable and some have low self-esteem in being overweight. You join not only for app features but to have friends new and old to support your weight loss journey. Thats why it's called a community. And I toldly agree. But now, I will personally stick to accepting mostly female friend requests to those I know and don't know. If I want a hookup, I will go to the hookup apps. I intend to enjoy all the benefits of using MFP for losing 20 lbs at age 62.😊
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Hello all again. I need to bookmark group. I've been back 1 week and had a horrible exp. with a couple males these last 2 days befriending me. Both hitting on me and one suggesting videosex. I'm a christianwidow and felt great disrespect. I was naive to go offsite texting onmyphone believing it was friendship. My son warned me. Oh well sorry I had to warn someone. What has happened to MFP? Anyway I almost deleted my account behind it. So now I'm trying to refocus.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I hope you reported them to "The Powers that Be."
  • glojlilly
    edited February 2021
    @seilidhe thanks for your empathy. Oh mfp he was a gentleman asking if my power was back on. On the phone texting, it quickly went to, you look good, look sexy, you turn me on...and other stuff I won't say. I said please stop talking to me that way. That was ignored. Over 50 texts until I figured out how to block him with another phone app I downloaded. I don't know who to report this to. Does anyone know who this should be reported to? Yes I felt stupid and violated but I hid my pride to warn others,"not to go offline". Don't go offsite. That's the whole point. My only point. God bless.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    “Someone” seems quite reasonable to me... lol but what do I know 😂☺️

That's funny, Mindi. That "someone" used to insist that the dogs stayed outside and slept in the kennel. She only allowed them in the house on special occasions. I was fine with that. I spent a lot of time outside with them. But I do enjoy having this dog inside. It does create some messy situations, though.
  • denik258
    denik258 Posts: 5 Member
    60 here and could also use support.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    @seilidhe thanks for your empathy. Oh mfp he was a gentleman asking if my power was back on. On the phone texting, it quickly went to, you look good, look sexy, you turn me on...and other stuff I won't say. I said please stop talking to me that way. That was ignored. Over 50 texts until I figured out how to block him with another phone app I downloaded. I don't know who to report this to. Does anyone know who this should be reported to? Yes I felt stupid and violated but I hid my pride to warn others,"not to go offline". Don't go offsite. That's the whole point. My only point. God bless.

That is really excellent advice.

I've encountered guys like that, too. It's really crucial NOT to freely share outside-MFP contact information, especially things like cell numbers that are hard to change if someone starts misusing them to harass us. Our nice friendly community oriented guys won't ask for that info.

These toad-like harasser guys know that MFP will boot them if they harass people on the site, so it often starts with a personal message like "let's chat" or somesuch nonsense, and they want our phone number or email address or IG ID or whatever.

I do accept friend requests from men here that I don't know here, but I look at the profile first, and shy off those who only have female friends. I've had nice personal message or timeline "conversations" with some of the good guys, so I'd hate to miss out on those. But the first "let's chat" or "give me your number" or flirty message, and a guy is history.
  • InHimLin
    InHimLin Posts: 22 Member
    I'm so sorry you had to experience this and you didn't give up. Please report him as suggested. I've been on MFP two times and had mostly women friends. The few men friends were those I noticed posting their daily ups and downs with other women and men on a daily basis. So they had to have a track record. I'm glad you're here. <3
  • trekkie123
    Hey Steve, what's life without a bit of mess? We didn't get to be THIS old without a bit of mess.... well, at least I didn't.. lol
  • glojlilly
    Wow, the snow is melting here in Texas. 50 degrees!!! I feel like hibernation is finally over. My sprinkler did burst but the main water system is good. I may go walk at a park today.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    I've been getting friends requests where the person's picture is scantilly clad women in nasty positions. Got another one today. Glojilly, 2 of my kids live in Texas. I'm glad the ice is melting there
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    Hey Steve, what's life without a bit of mess? We didn't get to be THIS old without a bit of mess.... well, at least I didn't.. lol

Good point, Mindi! 😊 When I cook, I usually leave a mess in the kitchen, too!
  • trekkie123
    I got it today too Eva🤷‍♀️
  • InHimLin
    InHimLin Posts: 22 Member
    I got the same friend request yesterday. If you noticed it was a girl posed that way but 'she' describes herself as a male.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    There have been dozens (maybe hundreds) of these accounts with inappropriate photos sending out friend requests. I think that it's accounts from before the 2018 system breach that MFP told everyone about, asked us to change our passwords back then. Some people didn't, now there's some kind of scripted (bot) compromise nonsense going on with them. The MFP staff is trying to solve the overall problem that's leading to the misused accounts, and deleting the examples they hear about.

If you get one, it will help the staff if you report them on this thread (include the account ID):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10823922/help-inappropriate-friend-requests-pics#latest

One of the volunteer moderators is picking up ones reported there and compiling them for the staff to delete. The deletion may not be immediate, but they're deleting them as they're able.

In the short run, there seems to be no threat to any of us regular users, other than seeing some tasteless photos, but the assumption is that there could be further misuse of the accounts later. So, if you get a friend request from one, report it, so it can be deleted.
  • lorabelllee
    lorabelllee Posts: 54 Member
    I got the same friend request as you all did. Glad it was reported. I also got one from a nice looking man...but when I checked the profile only a few women and in compromising positions and clothes (or lack therof). So ...nope! Think I'll stick to family and a few friends.Spring IS coming folks...Wisconsin will hit upper 30's and maybe 40 by Monday/Tuesday. Looks like a few inches of snow possible tomorrow tho. Oh well...