Giving Up Carbs to lose Weight Good or Bad idea what do you think ?

I read this article at this link https://www.eatthis.com/giving-up-carbs-side-effects-news/
that talks about possible side effects of giving up carbs to shed pounds which include irritability, headaches, constipation, weakness, food cravings, keto flu (flu like symptoms).
If you gave up or significantly reduced your carbs, or are doing keto - What has been your experience. Please share.

Replies

• mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    I can't afford to stop eating carbs forever, and I'm not here to make temporary changes.

Did you check out any of the things in the link, did you experience any of them. I just thought the article was a littled skewed. My thing is everything in moderation. Trying to see what others have experienced when they stopped eating carbs. Thanks <3
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Neutral. Some find it easier to cut cals by cutting carbs, I do to some extent, but its going to depend and one can cut carbs yet still eat carbs.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Have you experienced any of.the side effects in the link when u cut carbs down in your food program
  • dra11op1
    dra11op1 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, I'm in my 4th week of low carb/ketosis. A lot of people I know who have done it have experienced the ketone flu but a large part of that I believe is detoxing from sugar carb overload. I was prepared for that to hit me but I didn't experience anything significant - maybe a headache for one afternoon about a week in. I also felt very dehydrated for a few days around week 2 but dealt with that by drinking electrolytes. What I have noticed is a massive decrease in hunger (making it a lot easier to cut calories), decrease in cravings & energy spikes & dips - my energy is fairly stable now throughout the day (no more 3pm crash & search for sugar/cafine). I also have less bloating & inflammation in my system which was causing me a lot of joint pain (barely there now). Plus - I've lost 6kgs or 13lbs in 3 weeks which is definitely a bonus!!!
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    While I haven't "given up" carbs, I have drastically cut down the last several weeks (no added sugar, dairy, beans or lentils, baked goods, very limited bread). I am always hungry. My inflammation has definitely gone down, and knee mobility has improved. No change to my insomnia or sleep quality (thus why I am posting at 4 AM). I have lost quite a bit of weight, but mostly because I have a hard time some days meeting my calorie goal and finding things I want eat. I am getting way too many calories from fat (usually 50%+) and it is generally an unpleasant way to eat for me.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited February 2021
    I eat fewer carbs than I used to, because I eat fewer bags of potato chips and less sugar. I am not and will not cut carbs because
    1-) It'd be stupid expensive. I have things I'd rather spend my money on than replacing my cheap food with much more expensive ones.
    2-) I like carbs - I'm not NEVER eating another piece of bread or potato again, and I'm here for a long term change not a short term drop.
    3-) The one morning I didn't get carbs in my breakfast I felt crappy - like blood sugar crash crappy - and I'm not interested in feeling crappy to look slightly more aesthetically pleasing slightly faster (maybe). I ate a piece of toast and felt better. No way am I pushing that further; that was ONE low carb meal.

In short I think that it may work for people who don't much love carbs as a painless way to eat fewer calories, but I'm not cutting any food group out of my diet. None of them.
  • mpkpbk2015
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Neutral. Some find it easier to cut cals by cutting carbs, I do to some extent, but its going to depend and one can cut carbs yet still eat carbs.

Makes sense to me I guess it's all to what extreme you take it. I had not heard it was bad until I read the article about the side effects. Thanks for your input. Have a great day. <3

• mpkpbk2015
    dra11op1 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in my 4th week of low carb/ketosis. A lot of people I know who have done it have experienced the ketone flu but a large part of that I believe is detoxing from sugar carb overload. I was prepared for that to hit me but I didn't experience anything significant - maybe a headache for one afternoon about a week in. I also felt very dehydrated for a few days around week 2 but dealt with that by drinking electrolytes. What I have noticed is a massive decrease in hunger (making it a lot easier to cut calories), decrease in cravings & energy spikes & dips - my energy is fairly stable now throughout the day (no more 3pm crash & search for sugar/cafine). I also have less bloating & inflammation in my system which was causing me a lot of joint pain (barely there now). Plus - I've lost 6kgs or 13lbs in 3 weeks which is definitely a bonus!!!

Wow 13 pounds in 3 weeks that's fast. So you have had some of the side effects but not all. If you don't mind me asking how much are you trying to lose and do you think this is something you can sustain for a long period of time. Also how is your overall health been impacted. Thanks for educating me on this. :)

• mpkpbk2015
    33gail33 wrote: »
    While I haven't "given up" carbs, I have drastically cut down the last several weeks (no added sugar, dairy, beans or lentils, baked goods, very limited bread). I am always hungry. My inflammation has definitely gone down, and knee mobility has improved. No change to my insomnia or sleep quality (thus why I am posting at 4 AM). I have lost quite a bit of weight, but mostly because I have a hard time some days meeting my calorie goal and finding things I want eat. I am getting way too many calories from fat (usually 50%+) and it is generally an unpleasant way to eat for me.

Are you doing a modified Paleo diet ? Do you supplement with Protein shakes or do they have too much sugar? When I can't sleep I have decaffinated green tea that seems to help relax me and helps me fall asleep. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day and good luck on your insomnia. :(
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2021
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    Have you experienced any of.the side effects in the link when u cut carbs down in your food program

No, but other than perhaps the irritability one or cravings (which both seem like they depend on whether your way of eating works for you) they mostly seem related to keto. Even when I briefly tried keto, I didn't experience most of them, but I ate a lot of vegetables still, so a decent amount of fiber. Much of what is mentioned sounds like keto flu (which is temporary and can be addressed if you focus on electrolytes) or the adjustment period (I run and definitely felt a difference for 10 days or so). I do think keto levels can impact certain kinds of athletic performance negatively, at least for many people, but one can do "low carb" that is still not near keto levels of carbs.
  • mpkpbk2015
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

No, but other than perhaps the irritability one or cravings (which both seem like they depend on whether your way of eating works for you) they mostly seem related to keto. Even when I briefly tried keto, I didn't experience most of them, but I ate a lot of vegetables still, so a decent amount of fiber. Much of what is mentioned sounds like keto flu (which is temporary and can be addressed if you focus on electrolytes) or the adjustment period (I run and definitely felt a difference for 10 days or so). I do think keto levels can impact certain kinds of athletic performance negatively, at least for many people, but one can do "low carb" that is still not near keto levels of carbs.

Thank you learning so much. Appreciate your insights and sharing of your experience. Have a great day. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    I read this article at this link https://www.eatthis.com/giving-up-carbs-side-effects-news/
    that talks about possible side effects of giving up carbs to shed pounds which include irritability, headaches, constipation, weakness, food cravings, keto flu (flu like symptoms).
    If you gave up or significantly reduced your carbs, or are doing keto - What has been your experience. Please share.
    I only ketoed in pre-contest dieting. 16 weeks long. And with the exceptions of headaches, I dealt with all the above. HATED DIETING FOR CONTESTS.
    And after a contest was over, I'd go have the celebratory post-contest gorge of pizza, burgers, and ice cream. The next day I could be 10-15lbs heavier because of all the low carbing previously.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »

Are you doing a modified Paleo diet ? Do you supplement with Protein shakes or do they have too much sugar? When I can't sleep I have decaffinated green tea that seems to help relax me and helps me fall asleep. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day and good luck on your insomnia. :(

I am doing it for medical reasons to try to get off the meds I was taking - not sure what it is called I just have a list of what to eat and not - it’s very low carb and low sugar. It’s supposed to be anti inflammatory. I have been taking a protein shake the last few days.
  • mpkpbk2015
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I cut back on carbs when I'm cutting weight, namely because it's an easy way to cut back on calories, and I don't log or calorie count. It's nowhere near the extremes of keto though. More like I'll have one slice of toast with breakfast instead of two...skip deserts...maybe skip the starch with lunch or dinner (not usually both)...stuff like that. Keto would be far too extreme for me and frankly a diet of mostly fat is pretty unappealing to me.

It would make sense that people would experience those negative effects given that ketones are really the human body's all else fails backup plan so you won't die in the absence of carbohydrates. Constipation makes sense because adherents to the keto diet are often very low on fiber...they get some from veg and the very limited amount of fruit they could eat, but those numbers are pretty low compared to the fiber you get from things like oats and other whole grains, legumes, lentils, root vegetables, etc...none of which you can really have in any meaningful quantity on a keto diet. To that end, keto is extremely restrictive as to what you can eat. That would be very difficult for me to adhere to just in my day to day eating, never mind going out or social occasions.

The rapid weight loss initially experienced by keto adherents is largely water...every gram of carbohydrate holds roughly 4 grams of water...so cutting carbs to keto levels is going to result in a very large water dump. It's not particularly unusual to see someone start keto and drop 10 Lbs in a week or so. The flip side to that is when you get to whatever arbitrary goal weight that has been set and you go off keto, you're going to put those same 10 Lbs back on right away. This massive water dump is also what is responsible for "keto flu" as it results in major electrolyte imbalances that will eventually correct, but the immediacy of that initial drop is too much for the body to handle and keep things balanced out in the short run. To minimize these symptoms, it is usually recommended to significantly increase sodium.

Keto was originally a medical diet for epileptic patients. One of my aunts was epileptic and on a keto diet for most of her life and it certainly didn't appear to be a particularly enjoyable way to eat. She also ended up with heart disease in her mid 40s due to the high fat content presumably. She ultimately succumbed to a brain tumor in her early 50s...nothing to do with keto, but I throw that out there because there are some keto zealots who make all kinds of claims about the diet, including curing cancer...which in this case, it obviously didn't.

Very insightful information - much better than the original article I read that lead me to post & to ask about the question I posted. Thank you very much. Which just confirms to me it's not about dieting it's about healthy choices and going the distance. :)
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    I used to do very low carb a long time back...staying below 20g carbs ( not net) and I lost a lot of weight and had great self control...didnt feel hungry at all. Then I got pregnant and Of course I couldn't sustain it then...and after I had my baby, with the stress and lack of sleep and focus, It was a rollercoaster and I ended up eating all the carbs and gained back everything and even more! Now I'm trying to keep it around 100g...but I still feel a huge lack of control. I think keeping my protein higher has helped with no side effects. I prefer salty and spicy food so sweets arent really a problem for me, but I love carbs way too much...not really sure how to stay within calorie deficit because of that! It's a daily struggle. If I eat a bit of rice I want ALL OF IT.