Okinawa - does it work

Options
I am wondering in anyone has tried adding Okinawa to a good diet and exercise routine to loose weight. Does Okinawa help?
Thanks!
Tracie

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What does it do? Suppresses appetite? Coffee works for me.
  • smithtraciem
    smithtraciem Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well the website it says it does this: “Okinawa Flat Belly Tonic supports a faster metabolism, burns away excess fat and calories at a rapid rate, maintains healthy digestion and increases reserves of natural energy.“
  • smithtraciem
    Options
    Thank you for your insight!
  • smithtraciem
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I lived in Okinawa in the 80s, I never saw any fat Okinawans. I'm sure they managed it by diet and exercise.

When I biked to work in the AM I used to see Okinawans doing Tai Chi-like exercises in groups outside workplaces. I remember that in local markets, fruit and vegetables were very affordable and meat was not. I have no recollection about fish.

There was fruit growing at my house - bananas, papaya, etc.

Okinawa is a Blue Zone. You can read about that here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Zone

"...The people inhabiting Blue Zones share common lifestyle characteristics that contribute to their longevity. The Venn diagram highlights the following six shared characteristics among the people of Okinawa, Sardinia, and Loma Linda Blue Zones:[12] Though not a lifestyle choice, they live as isolated populations with related gene pool.
    • Family – put ahead of other concerns
    • Less smoking
    • Semi-vegetarianism – the majority of food consumed is derived from plants
    • Constant moderate physical activity – an inseparable part of life
    • Social engagement – people of all ages are socially active and integrated into their communities
    • Legumes – commonly consumed

450px-3_blue_zones_venn_diagram.svg.png
    When I lived in Okinawa in the 80s, I never saw any fat Okinawans. I'm sure they managed it by diet and exercise.

When I biked to work in the AM I used to see Okinawans doing Tai Chi-like exercises in groups outside workplaces. I remember that in local markets, fruit and vegetables were very affordable and meat was not. I have no recollection about fish.

"...The people inhabiting Blue Zones share common lifestyle characteristics that contribute to their longevity. The Venn diagram highlights the following six shared characteristics among the people of Okinawa, Sardinia, and Loma Linda Blue Zones:[12] Though not a lifestyle choice, they live as isolated populations with related gene pool.
    • Less smoking
    • Social engagement – people of all ages are socially active and integrated into their communities

• Less smoking

Thank you for this! I really appreciate it!
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I am surprised that the key factor was not mentioned; caloric restriction for life.
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17986602/
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Wonder why they had Loma Linda not within the "sunshine" circle? It gets around 280 days of sunshine a year. I guess that's not enough?

BTW, just saw a longer term study this AM on heart disease -- moderate meat/cheese intake helps dramatically to fend off heart disease. Plants are where it's at. Plant heavy diets or moderate animal consumption diets are being backed more and more by science all the time. Of course, moving more and calorie intake as well as what types of plants you chose to eat matter a great deal as well.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I am wondering in anyone has tried adding Okinawa to a good diet and exercise routine to loose weight. Does Okinawa help?
    Thanks!
    Tracie

Tracie, after researching your post, this is the only thing that comes to mind.

https://youtu.be/mBcY3W5WgNU
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I am surprised that the key factor was not mentioned; caloric restriction for life.
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17986602/

Given that other areas also have similar benefits, I'm not sure why you think that's the "key factor."
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Wonder why they had Loma Linda not within the "sunshine" circle? It gets around 280 days of sunshine a year. I guess that's not enough?

BTW, just saw a longer term study this AM on heart disease -- moderate meat/cheese intake helps dramatically to fend off heart disease. Plants are where it's at. Plant heavy diets or moderate animal consumption diets are being backed more and more by science all the time. Of course, moving more and calorie intake as well as what types of plants you chose to eat matter a great deal as well.

I wonder which of those two is the more important factor, if either. Perhaps you've seen something persuasive in research about that; I haven't.

In practice, if we compare people of similar bodyweight, the two would tend to play off against each other, it would seem like, in large statistical samples. Have you seen anything that compares calorie-appropriateness-similar high-animal/high-plant diets with low-animal/high-plant (or low-animal/low-plant, which latter is a improbable, unless ultra-processed foods count as neither)?
  • MikePfirrman
    edited February 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I wonder which of those two is the more important factor, if either. Perhaps you've seen something persuasive in research about that; I haven't.

In practice, if we compare people of similar bodyweight, the two would tend to play off against each other, it would seem like, in large statistical samples. Have you seen anything that compares calorie-appropriateness-similar high-animal/high-plant diets with low-animal/high-plant (or low-animal/low-plant, which latter is a improbable, unless ultra-processed foods count as neither)?

Quite a bit of research coming out in the microbiome space, yes. Metabolites that are produced with heavy plant diets with less animal products. What most of the big drug companies are actually focused on is producing those same metabolites that most can get through diet into drug or pill form, because, well, people have a really hard time accepting that big *kitten* cheeseburgers and pizza might not be great for you.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/533836-healthy-plant-based-diet-linked-to-good-microbes

The "Blue Zones" all have plant heavy diets as a common theme. And we're not talking Impossible Burgers either.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options

Quite a bit of research coming out in the microbiome space, yes. Metabolites that are produced with heavy plant diets with less animal products. What most of the big drug companies are actually focused on is producing those same metabolites that most can get through diet into drug or pill form, because, well, people have a really hard time accepting that big *kitten* cheeseburgers and pizza might not be great for you.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/533836-healthy-plant-based-diet-linked-to-good-microbes

The "Blue Zones" all have plant heavy diets as a common theme. And we're not talking Impossible Burgers either.

That isn't the question I was asking, though: It's pretty obvious that most people in the US (speaking statistically) eat dramatically lower amounts of veggies and fruits than even mainstream nutrition sources recommend (the 5 servings thing). I understand that eating more plants is believed to improve quality of gut microbiome, and that diverse gut microbiome seems to be correlated with better health outcomes. (Personally, I suspect 5 servings is too low.)

The question is whether eating animal-sourced foods is in itself negative in some way, vs. most of the beneficial effect being from eating more (adequate amount/diversity of) plants.

Perhaps the study answers that: It's paywalled. Neither the abstract nor the article seem to answer that.

Statistically, it seems like we have a population that's heavy on processed and animal-sourced foods, low on plant foods in less-processed forms; and a smaller population that's more nearly plant-based with less-processed foods (with that latter likely to have better health markers, statistically speaking). I'm not sure what segment of the population eats (say) meat daily in multiple reasonable portions, and also gets a boatload of diverse plant foods; and I'm not sure to what extent that kind of group has been studied as a distinct pattern, when it comes to microbiome diversity or general health.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

I feel like that's the current "black box" of nutritional research. We know, pretty generally, what types of diets seem to be associated with better health outcomes, but is the higher value from limiting certain foods? Including a higher number of other foods? Or (what seems to me maybe most likely), some not yet fully understood combination of the two factors?

I feel very strongly that a sustainable approach to healthy eating involves looking at the diet as a whole instead of hyperfocusing on specific "superfoods" or their counterpart, demonized foods. But the drawback of applying this approach is that we don't yet have all the information we need to understand the larger trends.

I am aware of (without having read or analyzed them, since my preference to eat less meat exists either way) some studies suggesting that the benefits of the Med diet remain even with more red meat, but there hasn't been enough research on the issue for me be confident in that.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/12/191209182008.htm

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/108/1/33/5036105

I assumed the latter one was backed by the industry, and it was (it's disclosed), but I am not someone who thinks that means it is worthless.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @AnnPT77 -- here's a good podcast by the guy that most consider the foremost authority in the US on the Human Microbiome (and one of the 3 founders of the Human Microbiome Project -- I follow all three pretty closely).

If you're asking is there's 100% definitive proof that eating animal products isn't good for your microbiome, no, there's not 100% proof, but the absolute preponderance of the correlational relationships between a heavy plant based diet and good health are so overwhelming that it's essentially considered a forgone conclusion by every respected scientist in the field currently. And that makes sense when you think about it. Are we to lock people up for 2 or 5 years and feed them exactly what we want them to eat to come to a conclusive decision? That's impossible. So we do the next best thing. We monitor folks who self report what they eat and periodically do an analysis of how their gut health is, which with AI and rapid DNA sequencing, we are learning more and more rapidly, every day.

https://thequantifiedbody.net/human-microbiome-health-dr-rob-knight/
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    what does the tiny island in japan have to do with weight loss? Mr Miyagi diet program? Wax on wax off?