Beware Kroger Frozen Vegetables!

Options
Specifically, the serving/content sizes. One bag of Brussels sprouts stated in the nutrition information, that there were four servings per container and a serving size was ten sprouts. That means 40 sprouts per container, right? My husband cooked two bags. That would equal 80 sprouts. When he served them, there were only 38 sprouts total. Less than half the amount advertised! Also, ten sprouts were stated as having 45 calories. It should read six sprouts for 45 calories.

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Good to know! Thanks.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Counts are going to tend to be off, since the darned veggies grow in different sizes out in the field. The total contents weight should be close, or you're being shorted (or gifted, depending on whether under/over). Calories would be per weight, too, not per count.

This was what I came to say. This happens with tortilla chips,too, for instance. The bag may say "about 16 chips" for a serving size, but since I weigh them, sometimes I get more chips, and sometimes less. The count is mainly there as a rough eyeball/guideline for people who don't weigh their serving sizes, but isn't necessarily meaningful.

If you weighed the total contents of the bag of Brussels sprouts, OP, it should match the total weight indicated on the package. If not, that would let you know if you're truly getting less product than you purchased.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yup, particularly with brussel sprouts the number in the bag is always off...no matter what brand.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Thats why you go by weight. They are packaged by weight not number of sprouts.
    This. To be accurate, you weigh food and measure the grams (or ounces).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Another vote for using a food scale.

Sometimes I use both the scale and cups when following a recipe. I recently made something that called for a cup of chocolate chips. The weight on the package: (1T = 15g) * 16 T per C = 240 g. But when I measured out a cup it was only 140 g. Huge difference in calories!