If you're trying to lose, many of you are gonna feel hungry

Hate to tell you that if you're on a calorie deficit to lose weight, you're going to feel hungry at times. Habitual behavior with eating led many here to lose weight. So in order to do that, you're going to have to change that habitual behavior. There will be so many times that you'll want to eat out of behavior rather than for physical need. Stress, peer pressure at parties, etc. will be things you deal with everyday to throw you off track. So what do you do? Well, you're going to have to learn to deal with that small hunger. I'm not talking ravenous (which for some happens because they eat too little due to trying to drop 2 or more pounds a week). But that hunger you may feel happens because it's supposed to. It takes time and discipline to learn how to understand and control your hunger as it's a behavior you're not used to. Over time you learn how to deal with small pangs of hunger and then really eat when you know you're gas tank is really low.
So remember if your stomach isn't growling and you're not weak, but you still "feel" like you need to eat something, remember that it's normal to feel that way if you're trying to lose pounds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited February 2021
    Yeah.

When I say I got to within 10lbs of goal and was suddenly hungry I meant 'gnaw my arm off starved'. At that point my calories got set to maintain and anything under that is good (still am mostly at 250-300 as a deficit most days).

Also, interestingly, I developed a stupid craving for avocado about then, though. Which may just mean I'd gone overboard removing fatty foods from my diet because I. Don't. Like. Avocado.

But you're GOING to be hungry sometimes.

It's okay.

Distraction is useful.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    This was a big learn for me, especially having a history of extremely restrictive eating that would lead to binges. I think a big part of me was scared if I didn't eat, I would end up bingeing, so I would eat even if not really all that hungry. Either way, I was overeating.

I still have snacks every day, but they're planned. It's rare when I eat something unplanned. Today, though, I was hungry like 2-2.5 hours after breakfast, like actual hunger pangs and stomach rumbling. I realized i probably didn't have enough fat and/or fiber to keep me fuller for longer. So, I decided to eat one of those Wasa crispbread things, and I was fine.
  • It’s strange because I’ve been at a deficit losing for over a month, starting weight was roughly 176-178 depending on day that’s what I averaged and now I am between 168-170. I haven’t gone a day hungry, craving or anything. I do keep my protein very high between 130-180 and my calorie range has been around 1,900 give and take 100- I’m upping it now to 2,000-2,200 for fat lose.
    I’ll see what happens, if I stall in fat lose then I can always cut back. All about being your own scientist!
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    I will echo that I have also not been hungry since re-starting my diet 7 weeks ago. I’ve lost 9 pounds, but it seems my body is extremely happy with a protein-rich diet too. I often find myself looking for a few more calories to put in by the end of the day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    It’s strange because I’ve been at a deficit losing for over a month, starting weight was roughly 176-178 depending on day that’s what I averaged and now I am between 168-170. I haven’t gone a day hungry, craving or anything. I do keep my protein very high between 130-180 and my calorie range has been around 1,900 give and take 100- I’m upping it now to 2,000-2,200 for fat lose.
    I’ll see what happens, if I stall in fat lose then I can always cut back. All about being your own scientist!
    Okay be honest though..........is there any supplementation also helping with that? Cause when I consume ECA, I had like NO HUNGER PANGS. But I don't want to be on ECA my whole life.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    There is a different between physical hunger and emotional cravings. Part of weight loss is to differentiate them.
    You don't have to feel physical hunger when you try to lose weight, but you will definitely need to endure many emotional cravings.
  • duxlady
    duxlady Posts: 18 Member
    edited February 2021
    Feeling a little hungry is so much better to me than overeating so much that I can’t move. I enjoy my meals a lot more. Very close to my goal after losing 50 lbs.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited February 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Maybe not universal, IMO. I'm not sure, as a pretty-fortunate developed-world kind of person, that I even know what hunger feels like, though I've had the occasional day where I didn't eat, or way out-worked my intake then felt replenished when I did eat.

I can't say that I experienced significant hunger during loss, or in the years of maintenance since. 🤷‍♀️

There was a short adaptation period when first losing (maybe 2-4 weeks, don't recall), which I experienced as more about habit change than about physical hunger or "emotional cravings". Periodically, especially in the first months, there were times when it made sense to experiment and tweak my routine to feel more satisfied more of the time. Anything remotely like hunger/appetite/craving seemed like a puzzle to be worked out, vs. something to be endured via motivation or willpower. That's paid off fine, so far.

I admit, it's entirely possible that my sensors are broken, and I mostly don't think I have many emotions at all, let alone emotions about food, so I'm probably the odd woman out here.

I don't dispute the idea that minor discomforts can be tolerated, and that learning to do so is useful, however. That "gnaw one's arm off" thing, though? That doesn't sound minor. Maybe individuals' body chemistries differ, maybe it's hormonal snap-back from over-restriction, don't know. Haven't experienced it.

I suspect, after some experimentation, that mostly it was that I wasn't eating enough fat, to be honest. I don't usually, typically, find it satiating in a general way but after a bit of that 'so hungry I'd have eaten anything, it hurts' stuff I got a really strong avocado craving.

I. Don't. Like. Avocado. Never have. Actively dislike it. Historically called it 'greasy grass'.

I ate a whole one a day for about a week.

It's better now. (And I went back to full fat on some of my stuff - like cottage cheese and yogurt). Seems to be better now, though I still definitely get reasonably hungry more than I did early on, but it was BAD.

But my calories typically sit around 1700 most days and I'm fairly sedentary and mildly short.
  • roseym10
    roseym10 Posts: 101 Member
    edited February 2021
    I really needed to hear this today, thank you!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    I hate to tell you, (actually i love to tell you) that i feel less hungry if i skip breakfast and lunch. Every body is different, don't assume your experience is universal.
  • ninerbuff
    I hate to tell you, (actually i love to tell you) that i feel less hungry if i skip breakfast and lunch. Every body is different, don't assume your experience is universal.
    I'm a breakfast skipper. I train fasted. I'm not hungry in the morning and don't eat till after 11:30am-12pm. But I do feel a little hungry just before dinner.
    If you're saying you never feel hungry, then that's good for you. This thread doesn't apply to you. Notice the title, it's says MANY not ALL.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • katierthanmost
    katierthanmost Posts: 25 Member
    duxlady wrote: »
    Feeling a little hungry is so much better to me than overeating so much that I can’t move. I enjoy my meals a lot more. Very close to my goal after losing 50 lbs.

So true. It's amazing to me that I was emotionally/ behaviourally wired for so long to cope with (and actively seek out) the uncomfortable feeling of gut-busting fullness, but not mild hunger pangs. Certainly takes some adjustment.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    @FitAgainBy55 - Very true on the veggies. I did not realize until this time around what a difference that makes. I have steamed cauliflower and broccoli ready all the time. Low cal and filling.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Someone posted this on another thread, and I found it really helpful for assessing feelings of hunger:

arlsggnuuces.png
  • ninerbuff
    charmmeth wrote: »
    Someone posted this on another thread, and I found it really helpful for assessing feelings of hunger:

arlsggnuuces.png
    Some should copy this and post it on their fridge and pantry.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png