Off days remind us of why we eat right...

Options
Oh my gosh.. I ate low Calories all week and took an off day today to spend with my family today.. But it sure has reminded me why I don't eat junk anymore.. I feel sick and terrible... But in a way it's good because it reminds me why I eat good and makes me want to get back on track tomorrow🙌🙌🙌
anybody else find this to be true????

Replies

• katierthanmost
    katierthanmost Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I will always enjoy eating too much of delicious food 😅 I just don't do so on a regular basis because it doesn't help my weight loss goals.
  • SouthWestLondon
    SouthWestLondon Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really happen for me. Had a very indulgent weekend last week and it was great. Caused a bit of water weight gain during this week which has since fallen away, but I felt fine.

That may be because I keep everything I like in my diet but at smaller portions - I still have chocolate every day (but now I limit myself to some in the evenings, when I know I can accommodate it in my calorie budget), I still have takeaways once or twice a weekend (but now I weigh it out and only eat what I've logged). So I've not cut out any foods as such.

There are some - like cake and doughnuts etc - that are just too hard right now to fit into my calorie budget. Which I miss but not to a crazy extent, since I'm not depriving myself more generally. I've not had a doughnut in ages, even at weekends, because I'm worried that once I start having one, it will become a 400calorie a pop habit. So for now I'm finding it easier to just avoid some very high calorie treats, and get my sugar/sodium fix from a small range of modest calorie treats.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I don’t deprive myself to maintain my weight, but if I go on vacation and let loose more with things like chips, pizza, whatever, I feel tired and terrible.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you splurge on too. If the macros and fiber are kind of balanced despite the fact that it's way too many calories, it doesn't cause me nearly as much problems as if it's all skewed one direction.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I never really realized what sugar binges were doing to me until I developed habits of moderation. I just thought it was normal to feel “crashed” much of the time. Once in a while I still pig out on candies and it makes me very aware of why I’m glad not to be doing that any more.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    For me it's usually not feeling sick or bloated so much as just thinking "wow that was not very satisfying".
    When I overeat but it's something that feels "worth it" I don't have any regrets...some examples would be a vacation meal of something special like Korean BBQ, squid & beer. I feel satisfied and happy, and fine with it. But when I go to a holiday party and find myself mindlessly snacking on little appetizers and random desserts and feeling obligated to eat the full meal like others are eating - I regret it and feel glad to return to my usual healthier habits.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Honestly that's what has kept my weight off. I just physically feel better when I eat mostly bettter-for-me foods. That's not to say I don't eat " unhealthy" foods, too (which I don't even like calling them that), and I enjoy them,but I physically just don't feel that great afterwards. That happens even if I just eat a little too much of anything, too.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh.. I ate low Calories all week and took an off day today to spend with my family today.. But it sure has reminded me why I don't eat junk anymore.. I feel sick and terrible... But in a way it's good because it reminds me why I eat good and makes me want to get back on track tomorrow🙌🙌🙌
    anybody else find this to be true????

Yeah same - I had some fried food last night for the first time in weeks (crab cakes and sweet potato fries from a pub) - couldn’t even finish it and felt terrible after.
  • DonnasWay0805
    DonnasWay0805 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Honestly that's what has kept my weight off. I just physically feel better when I eat mostly bettter-for-me foods. That's not to say I don't eat " unhealthy" foods, too (which I don't even like calling them that), and I enjoy them,but I physically just don't feel that great afterwards. That happens even if I just eat a little too much of anything, too.

I feel exactly the same way... and I’m thankful for that🙌
  • DonnasWay0805
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    I never really realized what sugar binges were doing to me until I developed habits of moderation. I just thought it was normal to feel “crashed” much of the time. Once in a while I still pig out on candies and it makes me very aware of why I’m glad not to be doing that any more.

Exactly...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IDK...guess it depends on how you define "junk". I eat pretty healthy overall, but I love me some pub grub once in awhile...pizza or NM food most Friday evenings, etc...don't really consider that stuff "junk" though...just not everyday food.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    For me, not really. But I may be biased by my eating habits.

Even while becoming/staying obese, I've always covered my nutritional bases pretty well with whole foods, don't like soda/pop, rarely eat fast food, grocery store packaged baked goods, etc. For a few decades, I overdid the foods I enjoy, and ate more calorie-dense foods (fried foods, home baked goods, etc.) more frequently. I didn't really change what I eat to lose weight/maintain, more just changed the portions, proportions, and frequencies. I still eat pizza, pub foods (deep-fried things like onion rings), rich desserts sometimes . . . just not as often. The daily foods are mostly the same things I always ate, in different proportions to better manage calories.

Once in a while, I do have a calorie splurge, sometimes 2x TDEE or even more, and that usually involves more of the calorie-dense things, higher fat than usual, maybe higher sugar if there's dessert. As long as I don't overdo alcohol alongside, I can't say that it makes me feel sick or bad, just sometimes over-full, occasionally sleepy. 🤷‍♀️

I can see how it might be different if there were a bigger contrast between one's pre-weight-loss foods and one's healthy-weight foods, or between splurge foods and everyday foods.

• DonnasWay0805
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Even while becoming/staying obese, I've always covered my nutritional bases pretty well with whole foods, don't like soda/pop, rarely eat fast food, grocery store packaged baked goods, etc. For a few decades, I overdid the foods I enjoy, and ate more calorie-dense foods (fried foods, home baked goods, etc.) more frequently. I didn't really change what I eat to lose weight/maintain, more just changed the portions, proportions, and frequencies. I still eat pizza, pub foods (deep-fried things like onion rings), rich desserts sometimes . . . just not as often. The daily foods are mostly the same things I always ate, in different proportions to better manage calories.

Once in a while, I do have a calorie splurge, sometimes 2x TDEE or even more, and that usually involves more of the calorie-dense things, higher fat than usual, maybe higher sugar if there's dessert. As long as I don't overdo alcohol alongside, I can't say that it makes me feel sick or bad, just sometimes over-full, occasionally sleepy. 🤷‍♀️

I can see how it might be different if there were a bigger contrast between one's pre-weight-loss foods and one's healthy-weight foods, or between splurge foods and everyday foods.
    I'm more of a structured clean eater. No fried or whites... Only complex carbs in moderation. So a day of junk was shocking to my system I guess.. lol.. but a good reminder 😄😳
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm more of a structured clean eater. No fried or whites... Only complex carbs in moderation. So a day of junk was shocking to my system I guess.. lol.. but a good reminder 😄😳

Your eating habit reminds me of inmates in the prison i worked at. They were deprived of nutrients/protein. So when they got out and ate real food, their body had a hard time digesting. It was like nutrient/protein overdose.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,121 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I had some deep pan pizza yesterday, which is a once in a year kind of thing. I don't feel bad, but I did wake up early with some rumblings in the belly that necessitated an urgent bathroom visit.

I'd say the calorie count is the biggest dissuader, especially here in Belgium where restaurant chains don't publish nutritional info: I have no idea how many calories I actually consumed.
    Back to regular food (after we finish the leftovers) where I have more control 🙂
  • DonnasWay0805
    Options
    @nytrifisoul ...I assure you I eat lean protein and plant protein and low-fat dairy... I am not deprived of ant nutrients at all. Just not used to the refined processed carbs that were in the junk I consumed on Friday...
  • DonnasWay0805
    Options
    @Lietchi i totally get that.. it is shocking to your system..lol