Wheelchair User 180lb loss, no loose skin?!!

ei93zoctzco6.png

So, yes. This is me now, somehow!

Down a total of 82.7kg (182.3lbs), 58.7kg (129.4lbs) of that since the national lockdown last March.

Today was my first monthly photo with a 'healthy' BMI!

Weight was always an issue, but after a spinal injury which left me unable to use one leg, it just exploded.

It was after being refused a lighter wheelchair because I had hit 171kg (377lbs), I knew I had to do something. It was just an unfathomably large number. But, at 6'4" I never really looked the weight I was and even at hospital appointment weigh ins, I was always weighed twice as I never looked like the scales said.

Yes, I lost weight. 10kg (20lbs) came off easily. But I just couldn't 'get it' and my weight loss was achieved through intermittent severe restriction 2-3 times a year. After 3.5 years, I lost just over 20kg.

But when Covid hit (the March picture was just 4 days before lockdown hit), something just seemed to click and the key was MFP.

In a world of lost routines and no structure, somehow in May, overnight I started my very rigid diet. Initially 1200 calories, dropping a bit too low to 900 calories before increasing to around 1550 now. It was just macro counting, which has changed along the way but mainly 40/40/20 with a focus on fibre.

I also, and always have, drank 5.5+L of water a day. Over summer, 7-8L per day has never been unusual.

I have no harsher critic than myself, but I have completely blown away my expectations. Even with halting for 6 weeks after emergency surgery.

But it's not the weight which impresses me, or even is a set target. It's the loss in inches, a 56" waist to now just 30" and slender 34" hips.

But my skin. Well. I really don't know how I have been this lucky, yep, there is some but it seems to be mostly in my buttocks (which is starting to cause some posture issues) and after dropping under 100kg there is, not loose skin per se, but what fat is left does look worse than someone else who has always been my weight.

How much longer I can hold onto this good skin I don't know, because it does seem to be just a bit more noticeable every week now. But I really shouldn't complain, I've seen people lose a third of what I have and not been as lucky.

I did this entirely for me, and resent any notion I'm "inspirational". But one tweet, (with deliberately no tags to keep it going viral!) just to let those who I've not seen whilst working from home, inexplicably was seen by 150,000 people. I ended up in the national press a few days later!

fdqnxd98sjmr.png

Replies

• misplacedmama
    misplacedmama Posts: 78 Member
    This is awesome! Thank you for sharing!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Way to go!! So IMPRESSIVE!! You must feel FREE!!!
  • lynneburgess714
    lynneburgess714 Posts: 84 Member
    Very pleased for you, very impressive story! What does your diet consist of, any tips? I'm struggling at the moment I have put on weight and this past week I have maintained.
  • Speedbird558
    Speedbird558 Posts: 9 Member
    Very pleased for you, very impressive story! What does your diet consist of, any tips? I'm struggling at the moment I have put on weight and this past week I have maintained.

Yeah sure!

I'm sure you've heard it endlessly, that less calories will lead to weight loss. But it's really the how.

m834d8qq2p8f.png

mk80tmi9gqgo.png

1a9zfl0tmghl.png

Breakfast was the hardest to get under control, it's a naturally high carb and fat meal. It's the only meal for me which is mostly the same due to the limited option.

The best cereal is Weetabix Protein Crunch Chocolate - from Morrisons or Asda
    Morrison's own Protein Malties are a close second and also under half the price. Although I stock up big when the have two for £4.

Best milk, unless lactose is an issue, for me was Grahams Protein 40 - from Sainsbury's or Home Bargains
    It's just like any milk, with extra protein and less fat than most substitutes.

The best bread by a country mile is Hi Lo - from Sainsbury's
    It has more protein than carbs, of which are mostly fibre. But is also moist and no different to other bread. Tesco Finest Multigrain Batch is a good substitute when it's not avialable.

The yoghurts are easy to find as there is a good choice everywhere now. The best is Grahams Protein 22, but Arla Protein or Nestle Lindahl Kvarg are 90% as good.

But overall you'll see I eat a lot of meat, fruit and veg. But the great thing with macro counting as a way of working out what to eat within your calorie limit, is that you can eat anything so long as it's within it. So you'll see a small McDonald's now and again is entirely possible. Obviously most of the menu is out but when you have to change what you eat, not just to lose weight, but forever after that to keep it then you need to be able to enjoy it and live with it.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Congratulations! You look great. And, thanks for sharing your story.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    What a great story! Thanks for the inspiration 😊
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    I won't call you inspiring because I don't want to make you feel resentful :) however you did a great job and are definitely to be commended for your efforts. I'll bet you feel a lot better and enjoy life a lot more! Thanks for sharing your strategy.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    edited February 2021
    Amazing story!! Awesome work!! Thank you for sharing!!
  • Speedbird558
    Speedbird558 Posts: 9 Member
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    I won't call you inspiring because I don't want to make you feel resentful :) however you did a great job and are definitely to be commended for your efforts. I'll bet you feel a lot better and enjoy life a lot more! Thanks for sharing your strategy.

No problem! I just wish MFP would make meals easier to share because it's the top thing I get asked!
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Great job!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    <3
  • chris180chris
    chris180chris Posts: 9 Member
    WOW - You are an inspiration!! WELL DONE
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!