Any Foodies out there?

Options

Replies

• shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have always enjoyed cooking (and yes watching my fav Food network shows) but I have really started getting into it even more since I started up on here. I discovered SkinnyTaste.com because of this site and have been going crazy ever since. I've made Gina's (yes, we are on a first name basis now, even if she doesn't know it :) baked mac and cheese, spinach artichoke dip (well, a combination of her hot spinach dip and her artichoke dip), chocolate zucchini bread (made into muffins), and most recently I tried her chocolate chip cookies which have been putting my will power to the test because while they are light, they are small and incredible making me want like 10 of them at once. All around I have really been enjoying the cooking aspect of things this time around, it helps control what I am eating being able to know what is going into it. No more basing my serving size on a package, I base it on how many calories I want to devote to that item and if I want more for less, I just find ways to lighten it up myself.
  • chorgi
    chorgi Posts: 221
    Options
    I'm a foodie, to. Went to culinary school about ten years ago and worked as a chef for several years before moving on to do other things. Still love to cook, watch The Food Network, and read culinary magazines. :)
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Yes food network rules. . . Giada is one of my favorite to watch!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You betcha! You ladies are living proof that it is possible to love to cook, reengineer some of our old favorites and still be able to have success at weight loss. I think I just found me a bunch of new friends......
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm a foodie too! I'm a huge fan of Cook's Illustrated and trust their recipes and techniques implicitly. :) I try to make a new recipe or try a new food every week - it's the best way to find new "favorites" IMHO. I also minimize processed foods. I love, love, love my local-farms produce delivery service. It keeps me eating heaps of fruits and veggies and brings new things to my attention.

This week's new stuff? I lightened up chicken salad in a way I actually liked (not a fan of FF or lite mayo - blech!), experimented with a cliantro-lime chicken salad (jury's still out on that - it's for lunch tomorrow), and finally got into the steel-cut oats everyone's been raving about (I know, I'm behind the times on this one). Hehehe. I keep trying to like oatmeal... and I'm getting there. :)

Always glad to find other foodies on MFP. You're a source of inspiration!

Nikkie
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    I love to cook and I love to eat!! Ha! My favs are the great Paula Dean and Rachael Ray! But since I started working out and eating better I'm finding it hard to watch Food Network at all. I never realized it before but watching food network makes me wanna eat bad things!! And dont get me started on Diners, Driver in and dives... After watching it I would be a burger /pizza chase for days!! :sad:
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Absolutly a foodie.. always looking up recipes and making changes to them according to my taste...
    Food Network is always on in my house! love Anthony Bourdain and watching him eat all that crazy **** that i would never touch!
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen... No... Love her but the woman wouldn't know healthy if it hit her in the face! But Rachel Ray actually has some very healthy meals!
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes!!! I love cooking from scratch and I LOVE Food Network...watch it all the time! We literally eat 2-4 new recipes a week. I also plan out all of my meals for the week and sometimes for a month at a time and often do once a month cooking. Feel free to add me and we can exchange some ideas.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    In a pinch I will eat a tuna salad sandwich for dinner but I like to play with what goes in it, spices, different veggies, some interesting cheese and always a pickle.

I really like to cook and have very much enjoyed this new healthy approach to planning. I'm a flavor fanatic and have always been an adventurous eater. Luckily I married a man who is also adventurous. I recently rediscovered tofu and have been experimenting. I was totally bummed yesterday, I posted a topic in Recipies about what to marinate the tofu with and got ideas such as wrap it in meat, I have no idea what tofu is, and a couple decent suggestions I had already thought of from my husband. :(

For us, we went went wrong with the weight when I was working 60hr weeks and barely cooking and no planning. I also find the, "how can I eat healthy for cheap" threads a combination of horrifying and ridiculous. The easiest, cheapest, and yummyest way is to make it yourself.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Have you seen Paula Dean do a shot of melted butter? Ewwww. I'll take butter any day over margarine but a shot of pure butter? No thanks.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Totally a foodie...I love trying out new recipes...totally addicted to food network and during my spare time, I love searching for new and interesting healthy recipes......it is just great that there are so many sources out there that provides us with great healthy recipes. Yeh!!!!
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love to cook, but lately it has been a bit of a trial. I have much less time to putter in the kitchen since we had the baby and my sweetie doesn't eat at all like I do. We usually make a meat that we will both eat and then have different sides (pre-packaged/powdered sauce pasta for him--yuk! and veggies/quinoa/etc for me). Like everyone else I am trying to make all of my old favorites only more healthy and looking to find new things to make. It's a bonus if he will eat it as well, but not mandatory. It just makes for less leftovers if he will eat it too. I am trying to stay away from fake food (fat free, etc). I just bought an ice cream maker for my Kitchen Aid and am also experimenting with sorbets and fruit ices. I also have a monthly dinner party club (10 ladies) where we take turns hosting dinner. I managed to make mine all healthy and low fat this year and the group had no idea and loved it all. I don't think it had that much to do with all of the wine. The next thing for me is to get my old food blog back up and running, I am just trying to get better at photographing since I moved and lost my photographer buddy who used to work for food. Feel free to add me, I'd love to be able to trade some recipes with someone.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Have you seen Paula Dean do a shot of melted butter? Ewwww. I'll take butter any day over margarine but a shot of pure butter? No thanks.

That's just gross! I do use butter... And olive oil... It amazes me how many people think you can't have good tasting food and lose weight too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am fairly obsessed with food in general. I love growing it, shopping for it, preparing and cooking it (chopping veggies really is a great way to relax after a stressful day at the office) and eating it. One of my favorite things in the world is to take a recipe that looks delicious but unhealthy and prepare it in a healthy manner and have it still taste yummy. I will admit that the results are not always great and sometimes it takes more than one try to get it right. But it's so rewarding when it all works out.
  • txmike64
    txmike64 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Two words: Gordon Ramsay.

I'm glued to any TV show he's starring on. I learned how to cook fish and scallops from Gordon, and watching it being screwed up on Hell's Kitchen. Prissy chefs don't like him.
  • scircle
    scircle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    FOR SURE! I'm a vegetarian as well and I'm addicted to my VT subscription. I try almost every recipe in that magazine!
  • aoede
    aoede Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have always cooked (from scratch) everything that I eat, except for meals on the go, like lunch at work (in Germany bringing your lunch to work is just not done, but in Australia I would cook lunch too). How else do you know exactly what is in your food? It also helps that I don't like eating processed foods and am allergic to MSG and preservatives.

I see people here in the forums worrying about the sodium content of salad dressing at McDonalds for example, and I wonder why they are even there in the first place, let alone on a regular basis.

So, put me down for someone who loves to cook. :)
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Same boat here...
    Totally addicted to Food Network and watch just about everything on it. Love Anthony Bourdain as well. Allrecipes.com is another obsession of mine. Love to try new recipes, usually reserve Sundays for "Cooking Day" and anything goes, lol!
  • aph1234
    Options
    i'm obsesed with colecting recipes i'm now it the process of tring to make all the ones i've collected into lighter versins jst need more time it's hard when you work 6 to 7 days a week