Should We Reduce Nuts & Fruits?

Options
As a new member, after logging my food intake I realize nuts and fruits are high in fats, carbs and sugars

I’m thinking 🤔 should I curtail my nuts and fruit intake when they are nature’s delights??

What do you recommend?

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Well, fruits (besides avocado) don't have fat or if so, have very little, so there's that. I eat probably at least 3 servings of fruit per day, and while I'm not a big nut eater, I often add a little bit of almonds or walnuts (esp. good for Omega 3) in my smoothies or salads, because I know they're good for me even if they're calorically dense. I typically buy raw and unsalted (unless I need salted for a recipe), because I'm not likely to overeat those anyway.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    As a new member, after logging my food intake I realize nuts and fruits are high in fats, carbs and sugars

I’m thinking 🤔 should I curtail my nuts and fruit intake when they are nature’s delights??

What do you recommend?

It really depends on how many you are eating, and the rest of your diet. I try to get 1-2 servings of each per day, most of the time. That nuts and seeds are high fat is only a concern to me because they are high cal, so that they are healthy doesn't mean I can grab a bag and just eat as much as I want -- I weigh them (or otherwise measure them if not able to weigh). Similarly, I don't see any reason to be concerned about the sugar in fruit -- it comes with (depending on the fruit) fiber and lots of micronutrients.

What I do focus on is total cals and that I have sufficient protein, healthy fats (that can come from nuts and seeds), and fiber (which will be contributed to by nuts and seeds and fruit), as well as plenty of vegetables. If you aren't going over cals or making it impossible to meet other nutritional requirements, and if you feel satisfied with your diet, I don't see any problem with nuts and fruit -- in fact, I think on average diets that include nuts and fruits tend to be more nutrient dense than those without them.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't worry too much about fruit carbs. I guess I might if I was eating ten pieces every day or something like that, but I'm not. More of a carb problem for me are "white" carbs -- bread, rice, potatoes...but especially bread and baked goods. lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit and nuts everyday. You just have to have discipline to only eat within your calorie restriction for them. If you want to attribute say 600 calories to them, then make sure you only eat that much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I'm also pretty sure the obesity epidemic isn't a result of people eating their apple.

That, sir, is a keeper quote.

Agreed
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    WEIGH THEM! I'm guessing you may mean dried fruits (I could be wrong) which, like nuts, don't take much to become high calorie. They are great snacks in their nutrients and they taste good and can be filling, but they are not a high volume food so if you prefer to eat a lot of something also high in nutrients, cut up veggies are good for that. I love almonds but rarely eat more than 8-12 in one sitting, I use about 9 grams of peanut butter at a time, and about 20 grams of dried cranberries at a time. These are very small portions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    WEIGH THEM! I'm guessing you may mean dried fruits (I could be wrong) which, like nuts, don't take much to become high calorie. They are great snacks in their nutrients and they taste good and can be filling, but they are not a high volume food so if you prefer to eat a lot of something also high in nutrients, cut up veggies are good for that. I love almonds but rarely eat more than 8-12 in one sitting, I use about 9 grams of peanut butter at a time, and about 20 grams of dried cranberries at a time. These are very small portions.

Zahida if you meant DRIED fruits, yes, do be more cautious with them. It's very easy for me to overeat foods like dried apricots vs fresh any kind of fruit. Dried apricots can be a gastro-intestinal bomb as well as a calorie bomb, lol.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    The only nuts and fruits you should eliminate in your life, are the breathing kind.

Curtailing such drama reduces stress and increases happiness ;) .

Apparently you are talking about people. The only use of fruit that I know of with respect to people is a pejorative slur for gays. Why do you think people should avoid gays?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    The only nuts and fruits you should eliminate in your life, are the breathing kind.

Curtailing such drama reduces stress and increases happiness ;) .

Apparently you are talking about people. The only use of fruit that I know of with respect to people is a pejorative slur for gays. Why do you think people should avoid gays?

Unfortunately, you're right, but it's also used to describe someone who's weird. Still not very pc! :)