What’s Your Home Fitness Situation?

Options
Got any great pictures of your workout area at home? Bonus points if you gave it a great name like “The Cardio Cavern”!

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I call it "the living room," because that's what it is. No pics, sorry.

I need to get some kind of mat to put over the nylon area rug, hopefully one with a bit more traction - my hands and feet start to slide after a few seconds of e.g. planking, down-dog, etc. Doesn't matter if it's bare skin or socked/gloved, anything where I'm balancing on all fours is way more challenging than it needs to be because I just unlock Bambi On Ice mode and I feel like I'm compromising form and risking injury. I'm also concerned that if I just run down to TJ Maxx and grab the first yoga mat I can get my hot little hands on, then my limbs will be stable but the mat will start slip-sliding all over the place on the rug. Any recommendations for where to get a mat that will stay put and help my extremities do the same? I don't particularly want a very squishy mat, something that I can roll or fold for storage is a huge plus.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    All joking aside (though I was more tongue in cheek) I'll be watching this thread. I have very little indoor room to work with and aside from a set of dumb-bells I don't have much in the way of equipment. I would not mind some ideas, though I'll always prefer outdoors, probably.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Full Olympic wt ligting gym in my garage including about 1k # in bumper plates a safety squat bar, an Olympic bar, a deadlift bar, a trap bar and farner walk handles, a 75# weighted vest, a 100# adjustable pair of dumbbells, a deadlift jack, a safety rack, an adjustable Cybex brnch, 2 plyo boxes and all of the other gear and accessories asdociated with such a set up

A modest Crossfit setup in the backyard including a 200# tractor tire, 2 sledge hsmmers, a 25# battle rope and a sled w/a harness and about 200# of steel Olympic plates.

And, in the house, a LeMond RevMasterPro spin bike and a Concept 2 rowing plusan adjustable situp bench in the master bedroom.
  • shawnfxp
    shawnfxp Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I moved into the garage
    xwwapci8cs10.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No pictures. For the winter anyway, I have my road bike set up on my indoor direct drive smart trainer and a stand for my tablet and a 20" industrial fan to keep me cool while I Zwift. No name for it...it's just my winter setup. I'll probably do some Zwift workouts during the summer, but I prefer being outdoors to ride...In general I have an extreme dislike for indoor stationary cardio, but Zwift is pretty alright for indoors...but really, no more than about 45 minutes max. No amount of technology can ultimately distract me from the fact that I am indeed droning away indoors and going nowhere.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Full Olympic wt ligting gym in my garage including about 1k # in bumper plates a safety squat bar, an Olympic bar, a deadlift bar, a trap bar and farner walk handles, a 75# weighted vest, a 100# adjustable pair of dumbbells, a deadlift jack, a safety rack, an adjustable Cybex brnch, 2 plyo boxes and all of the other gear and accessories asdociated with such a set up

A modest Crossfit setup in the backyard including a 200# tractor tire, 2 sledge hsmmers, a 25# battle rope and a sled w/a harness and about 200# of steel Olympic plates.

And, in the house, a LeMond RevMasterPro spin bike and a Concept 2 rowing plusan adjustable situp bench in the master bedroom.
    What surface for the sled?
    I about a 60’ run I could set up. I was considering the synthetic golf lawn strip. Wondering if it would shred.
    And your tire! I am jealous. I used to sneak into the high school football training field to flip tires and push sleds on dead grass before they revamped it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Outdoor cardio!

I'm making a trail big enough for ATVs to the left of the tree that fell in the trail in the woods behind my house.

kpn1k6e66h3s.png

Right after it fell, Nov 2019 ago, I made a trail big enough for people to the right of it:

doqes2kfdxfh.png

I started work yesterday on the other side:

rdzog3uestat.png

Here's the whole fallen tree, also from the other side. New trail will be to the right. I hurt my elbow sawing two years ago so I picked a longer path, but one that I can do without needing a saw - with the big clippers only.

ruyyiigv3zda.png
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    Gym in my basement... Has a cage for squats and bench, a few hundred pounds of weight. A heavy bag. A treadmill. And a light weight pulley system.

And I love it. 😊
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Switch Ring Adventure, Just Dance, Yoga by Adrienne, a bike and a canyon to hike in across the street.

zj3qfatatfgs.jpg
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »

What surface for the sled?
    I about a 60’ run I could set up. I was considering the synthetic golf lawn strip. Wondering if it would shred.
    And your tire! I am jealous. I used to sneak into the high school football training field to flip tires and push sleds on dead grass before they revamped it.

I got an old car tire, drilled a hole in it for an eye bolt and attached straps for pulling (throw sandbags on for extra weight. I pull it on the sidewalk or street in front of my house.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @kshama2001 - I love the planting work you did! I got into gardening during lockdown last year. I converted the patch of Earth in this picture into my “growing zone”.

vcuy7yfj7kr0.jpeg
    wan8gu0osao8.jpeg
  • tbilly20
    Options
    My wife and I thought we might be locked-down for a while, so we decided to convert our basement. We have a putting area and driving space that I can take a full swing from. For weights we did a Hoist FID bench and selectable dumbbells and kettlebell. In the “Cardio Cavern” we have an elliptical, treadmill, Water Rower and KICKR bike. I am thinking of adding a heavy bag to do some boxing as well!
    ub4pw1cjhbrn.jpeg
    rpl8udrbxhnv.jpeg
    8np8466559v0.jpeg
    sfoyoy2qwsqe.jpeg
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    We only have about 1,000 square feet so I have bits and pieces tucked in corners, spread between different rooms. For cardio I have a stationary bike and a treadmill. I have a mat and a weight bench and adjustable dumbbells - bar and plates style, not fancy ones. Resistance bands. A step stool. I also have a yoga ball, but it isn't inflated right now because there's no room 😢 A lot of it was scavenged by my hubby off kijiji, cheap or free since I'm a university student, and we definitely got lucky on there a few times!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    We've dedicated between 1/3 and 1/2 our unfinished basement to a workout space (~500 sq ft).
    - Power rack various bars and weight plates
    - Bowflex 552 DBs and 10-30lb hex DBs
    - flat bench, incline bench, plyo box
    - C2 Rower, treadmill, spin bike

I'm envious of @tbilly20, our basement ceilings are high enough for me to take full swings otherwise I'd have similar setup and likely some form of swing/ball tracker.
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm set up in a small area of my basement. I've got an entry level (read:basic) spin bike (as in, $400 on Amazon) a sqaut rack/bench set up with about 200 lbs of weight, some assorted dumbells (2.3-20 lbs), standard Olympic bar. I have a shorter Olympic bar (5 ft, I think...sometimes the big one is just too long to manage) and some Bowflex adjustable weights on the way. I mounted a cheap projector and ran a super long aux cable to a Bose Soundtouch speaker and project cardio workouts (Les Mills on Demand is my jam) on to the wall...and sometime Netflix when i'm lifting. Or sometimes just music. and off to the right of my set up is a little toddler sized table and chair/rug shelf play area for my 3 year old who has to hang out down there with me. :) Its not much, but it gets the job done!
  • tbilly20
    Options
    @steveko89 - I think a swing tracker might be a near future purchase. I have had a SkyTrak in the cart a few times.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    tbilly20 wrote: »
    @steveko89 - I think a swing tracker might be a near future purchase. I have had a SkyTrak in the cart a few times.

Nice! I got a deal on a used P3 system on ebay a few years ago but have to set it up in the garage to use it. The set-up and take down, moving cars, etc. just made it not worth the hassle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    I have a BioForce cable machine that can go up to 220lbs in resistance. While it's not free weights, I focus more on ROM and contractions. The thing I like about this unit (unlike standard Bowflex) is that there is eccentric force. And eccentric contractions are what cause the microtears in muscle fiber.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png