Relapsers getting Real Healthy Accountability group- 2020-2021

Replies

• ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Good morning all. I'm popping in to celebrate. Today I accidentally did my belt up another notch. Ok, so it was a bit tight (and I'm back to my normal one), but I really have got through my plateau!

This is a group for people who have done it before and are losing weight they've regained... so you know. Usually I have had a massive burst of enthusiasm, drop a load of weight basically by fasting. Then my weight loss stalls, I lose motivation, forget about it and regain all the weight plus a bit more for good luck.

The nice thing about this app is I can SEE it in my progress history. 9kg drop, stall, regain... and repeat. Only once, 4 years ago, did I stick it out and break through the 9kg plateau, and so I thought, what if it's that again? And it worked! I actually upped my calories, kept on avoiding biscuits (my Waterloo) and started doing yoga to chill out.

I think our bodies get a bit shocked by dropping weight and need time to adjust to the new normal. For me, it seems to happen around 10-15% drop in body weight. But if we just keep buggering on, doing stuff that feels good for our bodies, maybe it'll work out this time.

That's the plan anyway!

@heather9986hg those meals looks great. Don't sweat the chocolate chip cookie, I bet it was delicious and the rest of your day looked amazing.
    @tinybry this is the hardest bit of the year. Kudos to you the home schooling (it's sooo hard) and hope you're finding the snowdrops and catkins on your walks a hint that spring is on its way!
    @SuzanneC1l9zz home gym??? Wow! I'd love that, but it doesn't looks like it's happening any time soon.
    @HealthyTrent sending good vibes your way. Hope you are continuing to win your step bet and that everything with the scholarship is progressing well.
  • Dukare
    Dukare Posts: 144 Member
    Hi all! Welcome to the new folks!

Not quite ready to get back to logging and checking in - she's not sleeping much during the nights so I'm just trying to stay focused on life and get through my busy work deadlines.

The 15th is our big appointment for her and it will tell us if she must stay on meds or is healed or what .... we hope. I'm trying not to think about it...

Besides lifting her up at 13 lbs, I'm not doing much workouts yet. It'll come. I can't wait to get back to activity!

So glad to see some awesome wins and pushes through the struggles!! YOU GUYS ROCK.

We can make it! Spring is almost here, or already here for some hah!

CHEERS!
  • judefit1
    judefit1 Posts: 487 Member
    edited February 2021
    Hi there! New, but like all, not new to this journey. RIght now it's a relatively "small" bump up in my weight, but I've spent my entire life gaining and losing a full 60 lbs at various times, from "chubby child" to "fit and forty." I was close to my goal weight last March when we went on lockdown and since have drifted back up. Here it is:

63 YO, 5'2" 145 lbs
    Goal weight: 125 lbs

I'm going to be realistic (and self-loving) this time and not go straight to starvation to get there. I know I need to be accountable. As soon as I stop tracking my choices, I trade good habits for excuses. It doesn't work. I feel worse, physically and mentally.

So thank you for this forum! I'll check in now and again when I feel myself drifting away....
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    Today has been an interesting one. Maybe I’m approaching this like a research project but I am really enjoying noticing when things are changing. I guess it’s particularly important as the weight is coming off more slowly these days.

At dinner today, I got full and stopped eating before I’d finished what was on my plate. Ok, dinner was fish and chips takeaway and the portion size was HUGE! However I noticed I was feeling full and stopped.

But what is weird and wonderful is that I did this at lunch too. It was leftover curry from last night, reheated. About 3/4 through I thought “I’m full” and put it down.

I’m so pleased with this! I NEVER would have stopped with food on my plate last year. I’d have shovelled it in without really enjoying it and then ached afterwards. Being able to tell when I’m full AND stop is a huge one for me.

The other interesting thing is how it feels different to cross my legs. I can now sort of nestle one calf against the other easily. I’d forgotten that from previous weight loss attempts. It feels sort of nice.

@dukare lovely to hear from you. I hope the appointment goes well on the 15th and will be thinking of you!

@judefit1 welcome! Sounds like you know what you’re doing so looking forwards to seeing you around.
  • Dukare
    @judefit1 welcome and best of luck! I can't even imagine losing 60 lbs... Twice! To Boot! I have complete faith you'll achieve your goal, with time 🤗🤗

@ClearNotCloudyMind congrat! I remember those feelings when I felt things were really changing. It truly is incredible and you should enjoy it to the fullest!! Keep strong and conquer!

I thought I would pop in to say that I'm not making much activity progress, but at least I'm not gaining... I'm pretty good at maintaining typically, but man does it take a lot to lose.

She's getting into solids so I'm hoping in the next month or so, when she gets to 6 months old, I'll be able to really make headway on getting daily activity workout in!

Tomorrow is a holiday for my work so I'm ablr to just focus on her dr appointment and then I'm in for one too... probably why I'm capable of eating all the brownies and whatever else I can get my hands on lol.

Good thing I'm lazy and holding the baby a lot- I don't get up and feed the urges. Increasing my water seems to dothe trick.

They say when you are thirsty, you've already gotten to the dehydrated point. Breastfeeding makes me always thirsty... so that's my focus along with sleep for now.

I've also gotten a better pill case, 3x per week, so that I can get back into taking the prenatals and vitamins like D and Iron which I have been slacking on.... likely will help in my mental state and energy levels.

We signed our lease for another year, and in that time I'm hoping to really make headway.

225 lb right now. Staying steady.
    My hope is to get some down by the summer but I'm not going to stress too much with it, as the stress is doing more harm than good. ...but!

We got a 65" TV, so I'm excited to play Zumba, but we owe a bunch of taxes cause our forms weren't done right, so I'm also excited to eat those brownies and pb cereal.... *sigh hah.

What a year already! The weather is changing though, so we plan to do more outside park walks soon!

🥳🥳🍻🍻💃💃❤ stay strong stay focused, stay happy and cheers!

WE CAN DO THIS!!!
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    @Dukare hope it was good news at the doctors yesterday? Look after yourself, enjoy the brownies, and the baby(!) until you’re ready to start again. So long as you maintain, there’s no harm done and possibly a lot of good from teaching yourself kindly.

Today is a hungry day, probably because I cooked up some pork dumplings for lunch. Set off a raging hunger thing that drove me out of the kitchen. It was either that or start eating EVERYTHING in the fruit bowl. And the bread bin. And the fridge.

It’s funny how easy it is to slip into old habits. But at least now I know to hide in another room until the feeling goes away.
  • Dukare
    @ClearNotCloudyMind glad to hear you were able to hide from it! We have an open concept kitchen so that's tricky for me lol I put things in the pantry and it'll get forgotten usually... or put the baby on me so I'm lazy lol.

Old habits die hard. True statement!

As for yesterday!! 🤯🥳🥳🥳🥳💃💃😭😭💃💃🥳🥳🥳🥳😁👍❤
    Her EEG came up normal!! We can now move to getting her off the medicine... which will be in April, so by May she should be off it and all will be well! (Assuming that transition won't reveal anything).

I spent the rest of the day playing, dancing and just snuggling her.

I also had a Dr. Appointment myself and we decided to have me do some therapy which I'm hoping will help my brain, when it has bad days.

My body is killing for motion, and my brain is too despite the exhaustion,... so I'm going to just try and get some motion in a bit. Good thing I love dancing lol.

The reduced stress and worry has really made the difference!

Hope you all are staying strong! You can do it!!
  • tinybry
    tinybry Posts: 71 Member
    Hey all :)

@Dukare so glad to hear your appointments went well and you have some more avenues to explore for yourself. I really hope that that load off your mind helps you to be a bit kind to yourself :). I hope you can find ways to get some movement into your day too, it all helps!

@ClearNotCloudyMind well done on that self restraint! I definitely find some days I can walk away and others it's like I'm not in control of myself, but after a few weeks of better habits I'm finding the good control happens more often. That and trying to not have things in that I'm going to be tempted by! although, as someone who can eat peanut butter out of the jar with a spoon I'm not always safe...
  • Dukare
    @tinybry I never understood how someone could eat PB straight from the jar, but it is indeed a weakness- so many calories in PB! I do it though because it's a staple in my abilities to get filling protein in for my diet. Particularly when I was pregnant ....

I successfully did Zumba yesterday! I felt like a million bucks ha.

Today I didn't manage to workout in the morning but I'm planning to clean both bathrooms tomorrow so I'll take today ha.

Haven't heard from everyone in awhile....hope you all are able to keep going forward or survive whatever you've been dealing with!!

Have faith!! 💃💃😬👍
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    @Dukare so happy for you! A weight off your shoulders. Hope whatever the doctors have lined up for you is just the ticket! Zumba sounds amazing. I keep meaning to look up a class on YouTube but have never got round to it yet.

@tinybry i totally get the peanut butter thing. I’d not (often) go in directly with a spoon but give me a celery stick and I can do some serious damage to an open jar! On one of THOSE days anyway.

I’m having an interesting time of it lately. Been doing an increasing amount of yoga, which is becoming bizarrely addictive. I can feel my body adapting, becoming stronger and looser at the same time. Just YouTube classes, nothing special, but so good!

On the food side, I’m coming to accept that I’m not going to ever “go back to normal”, and that maintenance, when it comes, is going to look pretty much like what I’m eating now. I simply can’t handle sugar anymore - instant headache and gut issues if I stray. If I’m always eating badly I don’t notice because I just feel rough all the time. Having cut down a bit hoo boy I notice the difference.

It’s sad because I love biscuits and ice cream and cake, but need to face up to the fact that maybe I need to give it a break for several months to give my system time to recover. Maybe I’ll be able to reintroduce it later.

Also wondering about the others who have gone quiet. Hope all is going well, wherever you are!
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 172 Member
    Is everyone okay? There hasn't been a post in a few days. I'm Lori and I come from WI. Prior to the Pandemic. I was doing really well; I was even training for Ironman 70.3. Working from home and living with someone that suffers with anxiety (made worse with shutdowns,virus, and snow) has proved to be more difficult than I anticipated and my coping mechanisms need work.. I wish they involved going outside to run or exercise, but it happens to be to go lay in bed and watch TV while going in/out of sleep. That may be because my partner hasn't slept well in months, which means I haven 't slept in months so I haven't set an alarm because I'm trying to get sleep. The one night he dreamed/slept well, I ruined with being in hysterics that I my parents were going to get the virus and die (I haven't seen them in person in a year ). They are mid 70s with multiple conditions that put them at higher risk (obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes).
    When I was in the office, it was easier to set a time and force myself to leave and go to the gym/running group and just have a schedule. It was also easier to get up and move, but at home I find myself not motivated to move. I have some days of eating more than I should, but I've gotten better. I think that's because I started entering food into MFP because I was losing track of what I was eating.
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    Hi Lori (@SwtHedgehog), good to hear from you. I've also noticed it's a bit quiet on here. This seems to be the hardest time we've gone through since the pandemic started, probably because we're combining winter (and darkness) with lockdown. Sorry to hear you're not sleeping, that sounds dreadful! I've been lucky with that. Have also taken to doing evening yoga which means I'm out like a light as soon as I hit the pillow. It's strangely addictive, but I guess there's worse things to do with my evenings!

Totally get what you mean re the parents. Apart from a flying visit sitting at the bottom of their garden last summer, i've not seen my folks in a year now. I say they're pretty healthy, but that's from an optimist's position as my father's been going through some non-covid stuff that's pretty hair raising.

The end is in sight, you know. Covid's never really going to go away, but the draconian steps we've needed to take to save lives are definitely on the way out. We're certainly going to appreciate it when we're back out and enjoying the sunshine which will *definitely* come. And I'm to meet it happier in my body than when all this started. As will you!!!
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Sorry to hear you're having a rough time @SwtHedgehog! I'm still around and doing well. I only weigh myself once a month, and there was no change last time, but lately I've been wearing my belt a hole tighter. And I don't feel cinched in - it's comfortable - so things must be going in the right direction. Good thing, too, since I've had a few job interviews lately (FINALLY!) and discovered that most of my work slacks won't go over my thighs 😬 Nothing like a bit of motivation....
  • Dukare
    @SwtHedgehog , I completely understand those veg TV times... I get depression/anxiety and subconsciously end up going on binge watching and just don't sleep.... I had several nights when I first had the babe where I would finish a book a night, or watch too many episodes while she slept in my arms - I got my sleep that way some nights. I just recently had an episode like that too...but I definitely think working out some way- activity, is super helpful! Take the time but don't forget to get positive too. I usually end up with some great music playing and dance about to shake it off (literally mentally and physically shake it out ha).

Hopefully with the coming sun it will get better!

I have been doing much better myself- getting activities in, keeping up the housework and allllll that... but of course today, when I was finally getting on a roll, we had her Pediatrician appointment and she got her vaccines so she is likely to be a handful going into the night .. ah well.

Always pushing, always trying, never lose hope!
    ❤❤❤
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 172 Member
    Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. I can't believe I wrote all of that, and it's not as bad as I made it out to be. Yesterdsy was a rough day because my boyfriend has also decided to build up a bike (we both had plans to do do, but I currently do have the motivation/vision) to learn about bikes (and not depend on the repairshop so much) and ordered parts online. He has no patience for paying for something and not having I t right away. I also had a weird car thing going on(everything seems okay now). I bought the latest bike part last night and he'll pay me back. That works out so much better because I'm much more laid back (faith/optimistic ) about these things. I just wish he would have done that from beginning.

Because I was waiting by the phone all day and had to wait around to get the car and grocery shop, I was thinking up ways/excuses to change my training. I had a 45 minute run scheduled and I thought it was getting to late and I'm not a fan of the gym these days (I miss swimming so much; it's my reset activity). We talked it over and he went grocery shopping alone and I went for my run. I'm glad we worked it out and I kept the schedule. I'm in what I call "prep" training. It's too early to start the actual full training plan, but because I did start to back 9ff and lose fitness, I 've started the build section of the plan (minus the swim) for beginners (prior to this I was doing intermediate and figured I could drop to beginners if needed). Once I get that completed, I'm going to drop down to the maintenance of the intermediate. I would love to have a coach but they're way too expensive; the sport already is too expensive. I plan on completing it once to prove to myself that I can do it (I was the fat kid in school who couldn't run a mile).

Dukare: I hope the night didn't go too bad, but I'm glad the appointment went well otherwise.
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    Wow @SwtHedgehog a 45 minute run, that's amazing! I went for my first 'run' in a while yesterday and had to drop to walking after 25 minutes. And that was slooooow (hence the quote marks around the run). Sounds like you're a proper athelete. I seem to just potter without any real plan - bit of cycling, riding, running and walking gets me out the house. Yoga is easier to fit in when it's dark and I'm enjoying seeing the flexibility I had as a teenager slooooowly start to return.

@Dukare I so remember the days of my baby daughter sleeping on my chest. She's now up to my chin standing tall, so it's a sweet memory. Of course at the time I was desperate for a bit more sleep, but the memory of that fades with time. Hope the aftermath of the jabs were not too bad. My kids were never really affected, but I always dosed them up with calpol after just in case!

Weight-wise I'm still ticking down. Slowly, but have made my peace with that. While it would be lovely to carve 10kg of fat out of me, I'm no longer focusing on a weight target. Instead I'm trying to find a way of living that will make me happy in my body. That means eating foods that help rather than harm me, doing exercise that brings my body back under control and (yes) feeling more attractive. Am looking for ways to enjoy the journey, rather than hang all my hopes on an arbitrary destination. For now, that's working for me.

Hope your weeks are going well. @SuzanneC1l9zz hope your interviews are successful!
  • Gold6767
    Gold6767 Posts: 145 Member
    After my little vaca from tracking/weighing in I hit a field of migraine landmines and had to take several days off work and my eating habits have been garbage since then. I haven't had the energy or motivation to cook or track, which has lead to crappy eating, no exercise, and overall making me feel worse than before the migraines. Stress just leads to more migraines which leads to more crappy habits. I'm trying to pull myself back out of this rut, but my motivation took a pretty bad hit when I weighed in at the doctors and saw months of hard work and progress out the window.
  • EmelysBirriel
    EmelysBirriel Posts: 5 Member
    I keep quiting. But this time im determined. Need more active and motivating people on my team. Add me
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    @Gold6767 I really recognise this. I'm not sure if this is you too, but my migraines are massively triggered by food. It's taken years to dig down into what sets me off, but for me the triggers are basically foods with sugar. Even fruit can set me off if I eat enough of it.

This month I finally bit the bullet and decided to cut the sugar in my diet, using MFP to track it pretty carefully, just to see if I felt better after Christmas and post-Christmas. Unsweetened porridge for breakfast, rye bread if any at lunch, and no desserts. Not one single headache or even feeling bloated. It kind of sucks because I love all things baked! However it's worth it not to feel pants.

Am hoping that perhaps after giving my body a break from these foods I'll be able to re-introduce them carefully. I've given myself till my birthday (July) to reset and then I'm going to enjoy some birthday cake! Hope you find something that works for you.

Please don't worry about the bounce back, it will come off again, you know what to do :)

@EmelysBirriel will add you
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Good day all. Been ages since I have been on. Been doing alright. Weight has dropped down to 158 final and my eating has been a lot better. Just got myself a new Fitbit Versa 3 so that my new motivation. Just finished 45 min on the treadmill burning 456 cals.