29lbs loss but cant see a difference?

Options
2»

Replies

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    You look considerably thinner and healthier; well done. Whatever you're doing, keep it up!

Keep taking those progress photos. You might not be able to see the difference now or even in a few months, but at some point in your journey, when you look back at all of those photos, it'll suddenly hit you how much weight you have shifted. When your brain catches up with your weight loss, you will be so proud of yourself!
  • callumrayb
    callumrayb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There's an obvious difference, but you do still have quite a bit to lose. Persevere on my man. You look to be about 5'9-5'10" so a good normal weight for you would likely be around 175lbs-180lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Indeed, I do. I am 173cm, my BMI is now 34.9. my target weight for now is 180lbs, I'm hoping for more in the future of course! But I'm also working on muscle too.
  • callumrayb
    Options
    I see a large difference.

You do realize you’ve lost over 11% of your body weight so far?

29 pounds is six bags of flour, several large bags of potatoes, or a giant bag of potting soil You used to carry that around, all day, every day.

Take regular photos of yourself for comparison. I wish I’d done that earlier on.

I used to laugh at the concept of Body Dysmorphia being a thing, until I experienced it myself. Many of us suffer from brains that, well, mess with our minds, if you’ll pardon a bad analogy. I still look for the widest gap to get through, apologize for being in the way of people I’m not, reach for clothes that are too big.

Those progress photos will help.

Good job!

Thank you! I wouldn't go as far as to say I have body dysmorphia, (I do suffer with mental health issues) but I have extremely low confidence and extremely high anxiety, so I guess that doesn't help right?!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    callumrayb wrote: »

29 pounds is six bags of flour, several large bags of potatoes, or a giant bag of potting soil You used to carry that around, all day, every day.

Take regular photos of yourself for comparison. I wish I’d done that earlier on.

I used to laugh at the concept of Body Dysmorphia being a thing, until I experienced it myself. Many of us suffer from brains that, well, mess with our minds, if you’ll pardon a bad analogy. I still look for the widest gap to get through, apologize for being in the way of people I’m not, reach for clothes that are too big.

Good job!

Thank you! I wouldn't go as far as to say I have body dysmorphia, (I do suffer with mental health issues) but I have extremely low confidence and extremely high anxiety, so I guess that doesn't help right?!

Perhaps you were mostly sure there was a difference and just posted to get a reality check. Nothing wrong with that :)

There was a point in time where I was going to the gym 2-3 times per week, looking in the mirror during a certain exercise, and not seeing a difference, not seeing a difference, not seeing a difference, and then BAM! My eyes finally caught up! I'd lost at least 20 pounds and possibly 30.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Callum, you and I carry our weight above our belt line, so losing a few lbs doesn't show up quickly in loose pants etc.

I'd suggest taking multiple measurements on your middle, say @ belly button, 2in above belly button. If you had started with a belly button measurement, you'd see a couple inches drop.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    You look noticeably slimmer to me. Good job!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options

Good job!

"Body dysmorphia" is a technical term in psychology, of course. But though an "anxiety disorder" is a serious thing psychologically, nonetheless most of us have some struggles with irrational anxiety from time to time.

In that same way, it's absolutely common among well-adjusted people, in the midst of weight loss, to have a mental self-image that does not allow us to see changes that may be obvious to others (as your changes are - I agree with the others). So, we call that - casually - "body dysmorphia", just as we might use other technical terms casually to recognize minor instances of a similar thing in generally healthy people.

I remember posting some photos on a thread here with before & after face photos, 60ish pounds apart, and writing that I didn't see much difference. Others swore there was an obvious difference, but I still couldn't see it. Now, 5 years on, looking back at those very same face photos, I can see that obvious difference, myself, too. "Body dysmorphia"!

To this, I'd add specifically about your current stage: Remember that we may lose fat from all over our bodies. For that reason, it's a little like taking layers off a big onion, one at a time. The first layer we take off the outside of the onion, even if it's a pretty thick layer, the onion doesn't look all that much smaller. Each successive layer removed tends to make a more obvious difference than the previous one, not just compared to the original onion, but to the immediate previous one.

In your photos, you have an obvious large reduction in belly size, but you also have lots of smaller changes in many spots: Your arms look smaller, your neck looks a bit smaller, your cheeks and other parts of your face have a slightly different look, even your fingers look a bit firmer. Those many pounds you've lost have come off a good bit from your stomach, but also in small bits from many parts of your body . . . kind of like that onion.

Besides the weight loss, I'm seeing some improvement in your posture, too, which will help the appearance of body fat. Specifically, you have a bit of head-forward posture (near universal among all of us screen users these days) with the slightly rolled forward shoulders that usually accompany it; and a bit of anterior pelvic tilt (which happens for various reasons, but one is having carried a body fat store in the stomach area for a good while, which pulls that area forward and down). You have improvements in all of those, IMO, between your start and current pictures.

Continuing to work on those postural things, as you get lighter and stronger, will not only help with the appearance improvements you're working so hard to achieve, but also the important health goals: Improved posture will help you to avoid some of the back problems that are unfortunately so common for many of us later in life. (At age 65, I'm sadly quite aware of this!).

You're doing great!
  • PrincezzPri
    PrincezzPri Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been on a diet since November and slowly worked upto 29lbs(just over 2st)/13.2kg and I cant see a huge difference, maybe a bit less on my bum but my stomach still seems massive.
    Here's a side by side from when I started (10th November at 264.5lbs) and 28th at 235.5lbs.

Added a front pic and a spoiler to both images
    bu7wh2xl61th.jpg
    trwmffdh26ar.jpg

I certainly see a difference. I'm sure those who know you see it as well. Keep up the hard work! We are often the last to see!
  • callumrayb
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Good job!

"Body dysmorphia" is a technical term in psychology, of course. But though an "anxiety disorder" is a serious thing psychologically, nonetheless most of us have some struggles with irrational anxiety from time to time.

In that same way, it's absolutely common among well-adjusted people, in the midst of weight loss, to have a mental self-image that does not allow us to see changes that may be obvious to others (as your changes are - I agree with the others). So, we call that - casually - "body dysmorphia", just as we might use other technical terms casually to recognize minor instances of a similar thing in generally healthy people.

I remember posting some photos on a thread here with before & after face photos, 60ish pounds apart, and writing that I didn't see much difference. Others swore there was an obvious difference, but I still couldn't see it. Now, 5 years on, looking back at those very same face photos, I can see that obvious difference, myself, too. "Body dysmorphia"!

To this, I'd add specifically about your current stage: Remember that we may lose fat from all over our bodies. For that reason, it's a little like taking layers off a big onion, one at a time. The first layer we take off the outside of the onion, even if it's a pretty thick layer, the onion doesn't look all that much smaller. Each successive layer removed tends to make a more obvious difference than the previous one, not just compared to the original onion, but to the immediate previous one.

In your photos, you have an obvious large reduction in belly size, but you also have lots of smaller changes in many spots: Your arms look smaller, your neck looks a bit smaller, your cheeks and other parts of your face have a slightly different look, even your fingers look a bit firmer. Those many pounds you've lost have come off a good bit from your stomach, but also in small bits from many parts of your body . . . kind of like that onion.

Besides the weight loss, I'm seeing some improvement in your posture, too, which will help the appearance of body fat. Specifically, you have a bit of head-forward posture (near universal among all of us screen users these days) with the slightly rolled forward shoulders that usually accompany it; and a bit of anterior pelvic tilt (which happens for various reasons, but one is having carried a body fat store in the stomach area for a good while, which pulls that area forward and down). You have improvements in all of those, IMO, between your start and current pictures.

Continuing to work on those postural things, as you get lighter and stronger, will not only help with the appearance improvements you're working so hard to achieve, but also the important health goals: Improved posture will help you to avoid some of the back problems that are unfortunately so common for many of us later in life. (At age 65, I'm sadly quite aware of this!).

You're doing great!

Thank you for the comprehensive reply! I appreciate it. I'll continue!
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You have made a huge difference so far! It’s just difficult to see when you look at it everyday. We all judge ourselves pretty harshly. Pick something new that has changed for better and focus on that. I have to imagine that your energy levels are increasing, and it’s probably making activities you used to do much easier now with 2 fewer stone!

It looks like you are rocking it so far. Consider this a portion of your journey (1/2, 1/3, whatever you have left). Now go out and thrash the next leg of your weight loss!
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Visit the thread called “what’s your NSV” in Success Stories. NSV means Non scale victory. For me, the NSV’s were excellent motivators when the scale or my eyes weren’t enough to keep me going.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options

Good job!

I like to consider my weight loss in terms of Pounds of butter. 29 Pound stacked on the table is a crap ton of butter.
  • briskioh
    briskioh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can totally see a difference!

I've yoyo-ed 30 lbs and never change pants sizes....just how my body is shaped I guess.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    it is obvious from your neck, shoulders and stomach that some good work was done. Keep at it!